Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #721 of 9,619
Good comparison. Largely mirrors my own thoughts as an owner of both.
Thank you very much
Naim.F.C

The comparison I made with two amplifiers P-1U+BCL
Before my last purchase
SPL PHONITOR -2

Today I also received the BAL UPOCC cable
NEOTECH

The more detailed impression with the film will come later

But it will be with Z1R + SPL + SA11

Today my jaw starts to fall off the sound in BAL

I would be happy to share with you the findings

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #722 of 9,619
I think the Z1R and HD800 combo is a great one. BUT I think that after reading this Z1R thread for a long time (the original and now the impressions only thread) it seems to be hit or miss with people. The HD800 is another hit or miss, but the people that don't enjoy it seem to at least respect it.

Why I bring this up is because I think I think they are a great compliment to each other, like a "knife and fork" as someone just mentioned; But this combo is SO dependent on the listener.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #723 of 9,619
I think the Z1R and HD800 combo is a great one. BUT I think that after reading this Z1R thread for a long time (the original and now the impressions only thread) it seems to be hit or miss with people. The HD800 is another hit or miss, but the people that don't enjoy it seem to at least respect it.

Why I bring this up is because I think I think they are a great compliment to each other, like a "knife and fork" as someone just mentioned; But this combo is SO dependent on the listener.

Yes the people that don’t like HD800 still generally respect it. No such thing with the people who don’t like Z1R as most of them seems to be content with abusing, redeculing and putting down both the phone and the people who like it resulting in the several thread closures we have seen.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #724 of 9,619
I already think

That it really would not be right for comparison
That automatically do compare the two

I say as it is acceptable
Apples and oranges

Enjoy each one with its benefits complement each other

But on the same music I prefer the Z1R

I will probably return the HD800 back to it because of the SPL that fits the Z1R
The P-1U fits Perfect HD800

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #725 of 9,619
Yes the people that don’t like HD800 still generally respect it. No such thing with the people who don’t like Z1R as most of them seems to be content with abusing, redeculing and putting down both the phone and the people who like it resulting in the several thread closures we have seen.
right lol. I was trying not to point out something stupid with my post btw in regards to "the pairing is person taste dependent" since ALL cans are dependent on ones taste. Just making sure that people know that the Z1R isn't an easy recommendation if that makes sense. I think you dig what I am saying.

In regards to all the bashing I get what your saying. Its sad but people that don't enjoy the Z1R REALLY love messing with the people that do in this regard lol. Different yolks for different folks.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #726 of 9,619
right lol. I was trying not to point out something stupid with my post btw in regards to "the pairing is person taste dependent" since ALL cans are dependent on ones taste. Just making sure that people know that the Z1R isn't an easy recommendation if that makes sense. I think you dig what I am saying.

In regards to all the bashing I get what your saying. Its sad but people that don't enjoy the Z1R REALLY love messing with the people that do in this regard lol. Different yolks for different folks.

Totally agree and I certainly get why some people don’t like the Z1R as it’s sound deviates fairly markedly from what most other high end phones aim for.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #727 of 9,619

Totally agree and I certainly get why some people don’t like the Z1R as it’s sound deviates fairly markedly from what most other high end phones aim for.
Ughhh, it's not just in Head-Fi, but almost everywhere else too.
People who hates Z1R will just piss on it, the hate is real, unlike some others "flawed" headphones. I personally like it more than Utopia.
Elear will be close second to Z1R, the hate on Elear is quite serious...

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #728 of 9,619
Ughhh, it's not just in Head-Fi, but almost everywhere else too.
People who hates Z1R will just piss on it, the hate is real, unlike some others "flawed" headphones. I personally like it more than Utopia.
Elear will be close second to Z1R, the hate on Elear is quite serious...
There is nothing to hate here
Even I two months ago I was so angry at SONY
Today is less..............
Even I apologize so much for making a really angry film about the Z1R

But I took it down when everything suddenly started to change
With the purchase of the kimber cable
And now I have added SPL amplifier
Although I wanted the Sony TA-ZH1ES like yours
But there are no entrances as I actually want
Everything I put into it becomes DSD Digital Remasting
Actually hears the Sony in D / A DSD
NOT MY MULTI BIT CD

I am from what I was impressed over the years that not every DSD Digital Remasting is perfect
For example all RCA tapes Digital Remasting
I found that the company's first Digital Remasting for many recordings.
They are multi-bit much more alive and breathing than the versions after I bought
After this the RCA became a SONY DSD Digital Remasting.
And I compared the same tapes and the difference is really in favor of the recordings OF MULTI BIT
Advances ON MULTI BIT SOUND AS DCD-3560 DENON
And have full examples including CBS recordings IS DSD NOT AS GOOD AS MULTI BIT Digital Remasting.

And I realized that the Z1R needed loads of power to control the bass

And my choice was SPL and really pleased TO the sky from the sound
Now I also bought a BAL NEOTECH cable

The picture for the Z1R is quite different
And I sold the HD800

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #729 of 9,619
Hi Folks,

If I may ask with your kind permission... How do you compare the Z1Rs against the Audezes LCD-X in terms of sound? Do you think they perhaps overlap one to each other? Having the LCD-Xs, do you think it's worth buying the Z1Rs?

Thx in advance.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #730 of 9,619
If I may ask with your kind permission... How do you compare the Z1Rs against the Audezes LCD-X in terms of sound? Do you think they perhaps overlap one to each other? Having the LCD-Xs, do you think it's worth buying the Z1Rs?

Sound-wise, I'd say they're quite comparable, save for the Sony's much lusher-sounding low-end. Similar soundstage and detail (the Sony may have a little more micro), but the X has more sparkle to my ears. ... In terms of comfort, they are night and day, with the Sony being the obvious winner.

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #731 of 9,619
This exact thing also happened few years ago with the Shure headphones. They 'measured' off-kilter and, according to the 'Holy Gospel', if you liked them you were off-kilter as well.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #733 of 9,619
For some people if a headphone is measured a flat FR and straight square waves then it's the Gospel, if it's not but can be modded flat then they will praise it, and if it's unable to be modded it's trash.
I personally don't think this practice deserves serious attention:relieved:
Spot on...and don't even mention "EQ"....blasphemy!

Bern

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #734 of 9,619
For some people if a headphone is measured a flat FR and straight square waves then it's the Gospel, if it's not but can be modded flat then they will praise it, and if it's unable to be modded it's trash.
I personally don't think this practice deserves serious attention:relieved:
Enjoyment is subjective. These same yobs would probably put their food under a microscope so they would know what it really tasted like. I wonder if they bring their measuring gear to live concerts. Do they even go to live concerts? Probably not.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #735 of 9,619
I agree with the subjectivity of tastes, some really argue that better means close to real live concerts, but Ive listened to a lot of orchestras at different venues and guess what there is variation on sound depending on orchestra and venue. How about recordings? same freaking story - so I prefer to the one I really like and thats it. For example I have a Karajan recording of the Beethoven symphonies thats sounds really lush and warm and thats the one i like. Same with headphones, i like what i like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back