Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,396 of 9,634
The Z7 is very close to the Z1R. Sound wise build wise and comfort wise. If you don't know the Z1R, the Z7 is all you ever need. Then later out of curiosity you might want to check on the Z1R too. For the Z7 you only need to get the correct balanced cables to connect to the WM1A and the Jotunheim. Again, the Z7 is already epic to me.

The Z1R is built for a bigger sound, more details and more spacious, but is close to the Z7 in characteristics. So maybe in many songs they do not distinguish, and the Z7 could be smoother because it doesn't have that metal dome.

Thanks for the answers, good to hear that their sq are similar in some way. I heard Z1R in a demo from the Sony store with the noisy environment and I like the sounds coming from it, totally different level that is why I am wondering about the Z7 if the same at least.

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,397 of 9,634
The Z7 is very close to the Z1R. Sound wise build wise and comfort wise. If you don't know the Z1R, the Z7 is all you ever need. Then later out of curiosity you might want to check on the Z1R too. For the Z7 you only need to get the correct balanced cables to connect to the WM1A and the Jotunheim. Again, the Z7 is already epic to me.

What would be the most economical way to get that balanced plug (Pentaconn) on the Z7? I mean, not junk but not $$$. Sony OEM would be fine, but I don't think it's available??

I just made an impulse video game related purchase that might bork my budget for the Z1R. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,398 of 9,634
What would be the most economical way to get that balanced plug (Pentaconn) on the Z7? I mean, not junk but not $$$. Sony OEM would be fine, but I don't think it's available??

I just made an impulse video game related purchase that might bork my budget for the Z1R. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I bought the Z1r. Both cans share the Z1r cable now. The cable was cheap as it was included, but on getting it I had to buy the WM1A too...
What video game related investment did you do, just curious?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,399 of 9,634
I bought the Z1r. Both cans share the Z1r cable now. The cable was cheap as it was included, but on getting it I had to buy the WM1A too...
What video game related investment did you do, just curious?

I bought the Analogue Super NT ... amazing FPGA based Super Nintendo clone. Just google or YT if you're not familiar. Also a couple wireless controllers for it. $300, but still that's a good dent and I was extending the budget a lot to consider the Z1R anyway. $1000 still in my pocket (Z7 vs Z1R) is not a small matter. Understand this would be at the same time as we take the hit on a $16k vacation. Just have to wait and see how things are looking in June. That 1.2m cable that comes with the Z1R would be perfect if I decided to go cheaper with the Z7, but if Sony sells it separately its news to me.

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,400 of 9,634
I bought the Analogue Super NT ... amazing FPGA based Super Nintendo clone. Just google or YT if you're not familiar. Also a couple wireless controllers for it. $300, but still that's a good dent and I was extending the budget a lot to consider the Z1R anyway. $1000 still in my pocket (Z7 vs Z1R) is not a small matter. Understand this would be at the same time as we take the hit on a $16k vacation. Just have to wait and see how things are looking in June. That 1.2m cable that comes with the Z1R would be perfect if I decided to go cheaper with the Z7, but if Sony sells it separately its news to me.
Cables are spareparts, we only need to find the source. In my country it is nearly impossible. Might need to import from Japan.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,401 of 9,634
Speaking of cables... I tried the focal clear cables on the Z1R. So much better than the stock silver plated crap. I'll be DIY a jena labs wire cable for the Z1R. These are wonderful headphones and a real cable takes them to a new level. YMMV of course :)

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,402 of 9,634
Speaking of cables... I tried the focal clear cables on the Z1R. So much better than the stock silver plated crap. I'll be DIY a jena labs wire cable for the Z1R. These are wonderful headphones and a real cable takes them to a new level. YMMV of course :)
How do you qualify so much better than the crap? What qualifies a new level?

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,403 of 9,634
How do you qualify so much better than the crap? What qualifies a new level?

The top end has better definition and feels more energetic without sounding grainy. The mids are more transparent and open and the bass seems a little tighter. I like the overall balance better now and am hoping the jena labs wire should be even better than the clear cables.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,404 of 9,634
Off to a good start!
84916255-9EDF-4E86-8BCF-42C1FF33FE43.jpeg

Attachments

• 57B9BFAF-36E5-4DCB-AE50-2121F2EFBB7F.jpeg
    57B9BFAF-36E5-4DCB-AE50-2121F2EFBB7F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,406 of 9,634
This headphone benefit and scale up with good DAC ,
I cant stress enough how the Hugo2 dac with my Fostex HPA8 amp is very very nice with Z1R

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,407 of 9,634
The top end has better definition and feels more energetic without sounding grainy. The mids are more transparent and open and the bass seems a little tighter. I like the overall balance better now and am hoping the jena labs wire should be even better than the clear cables.
i love my crap :)

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,410 of 9,634
I bought a used mojo for my iPhone 6, but ended up selling it because of too many random pauses especially when using the internet at home while listening to Tidal. Now, when i want to listen to the Z1Rs around the house i just use the black dragonfly with the cck. I think the black dragonfly is the best 99 dollars Ive spent in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back