Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,367 of 9,631
Looks like a Zero-Zone, got a link?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122750947478

Don't know if they are still for sale. Takes about 100 hours of break in.

The box says "Breeze Audio". The circuit diagram looks like JFET input stage with dual MOSFET driving a push pull pair of output MOSFETs.

With Z7, it is some of the smoothest and most fatigue free listening I have ever heard, even compared to tubes. I would have thought some SS signature of sharpness or grain in the upper midrange, but there is none.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #1,368 of 9,631
It depends what you will spend. Already have a good dac? For amps around here what I think is best you likely cannot get(the Cullen Hotrodded). Ray's XP7 is very good. Of course the P750U is outstanding. Perhaps though save a lot and get Sony's little ES box. I would imagine it is a lot like their dap. I am feeding the Ayre QX5 Twenty into the P750U right now and this is the business. It should be. I prefer SS and SE with these like I said 100 times sorry.

You can call me out but I guess you just do not hear what I do but I will stop it as it is not required. These can stand on their own merits had loudspeakers never been invented. Some agree and some disagree. That is fine with me. We do not all hear the same. Just like you can look at a Picasso and say a kid colored that. I am not being smart that is honestly many peoples feelings and it is also fine. I am not looking to pick a fight though.

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,369 of 9,631
Guys, I recently went to try out the TAZH1ES at the Sony flagship store with the Z1R. I didn't bring my own set, as they had theirs there, and I was surprised at what I heard.

When I tried the Z1R previously with the WM1Z, The sound was outstanding. Full, highly separated, and engaging. No such thing as being too basy or too spiky. Everything was where it was meant to be. However, during this particular trial, I did request to use the Sony Kimber Kables with the Z1R and not the stock SPC ones (which I don't really like).

Then during the TAZH1ES trial, I didn't have time to switch the cables since I was looking after my kids at the same time, and just hopped in for a feel. The sound was still highly separated, and everything was where it was supposed to be. However, it wasn't anywhere as lush as I expected. It sounded like each instrument/singer went on a diet, and became thinner. Not as full as the WM1Z. I suspect this is because of the cables, since SPC does have that sort of effect after all.

Can anyone who has that same setup comment on this? Meaning TAZH1ES > various cable material types > Z1R. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning for a TAZH1ES in the future, but this quick demo gave me pause slightly. I do get a similar effect at home with my current setup, Z1R, and the stock cables/SonyKimber, but I just want to make sure it's not the amp that's the issue here.

Note: Since it was a Sony store, they used the WM1Z as a source for the TAZH1ES anyways.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,370 of 9,631
Guys, I recently went to try out the TAZH1ES at the Sony flagship store with the Z1R. I didn't bring my own set, as they had theirs there, and I was surprised at what I heard.

When I tried the Z1R previously with the WM1Z, The sound was outstanding. Full, highly separated, and engaging. No such thing as being too basy or too spiky. Everything was where it was meant to be. However, during this particular trial, I did request to use the Sony Kimber Kables with the Z1R and not the stock SPC ones (which I don't really like).

Then during the TAZH1ES trial, I didn't have time to switch the cables since I was looking after my kids at the same time, and just hopped in for a feel. The sound was still highly separated, and everything was where it was supposed to be. However, it wasn't anywhere as lush as I expected. It sounded like each instrument/singer went on a diet, and became thinner. Not as full as the WM1Z. I suspect this is because of the cables, since SPC does have that sort of effect after all.

Can anyone who has that same setup comment on this? Meaning TAZH1ES > various cable material types > Z1R. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning for a TAZH1ES in the future, but this quick demo gave me pause slightly. I do get a similar effect at home with my current setup, Z1R, and the stock cables/SonyKimber, but I just want to make sure it's not the amp that's the issue here.

Note: Since it was a Sony store, they used the WM1Z as a source for the TAZH1ES anyways.
I'd been listening to Z1ES - (audioquest king cobra rca) - ZH1ES - (stock cable) - Z1R recently and IMO the sound didn't became thinner, but it did became more energetic and wide open than it's with the WM1Z. So maybe the whole setup should be taken into consideration. The Z1R is pretty sensitive to the characteristics from the source.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,371 of 9,631

The TAZH1ES has many settings that could have been active on the demo unit. They all change the sound more than a cable can. Go there again without your kids an turn all sound settings off. Then and only then you can compare.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,373 of 9,631
Hi , Anyone knows if Focal Elear cables are comptible with Sony Z1R?

They are. I've tried them with the Klipsch HP-3 3.5mm TS stock cable, and two different 3.5mm TRS after market cables (one which is an Elear connector) that I'm now selling.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,375 of 9,631
I'd been listening to Z1ES - (audioquest king cobra rca) - ZH1ES - (stock cable) - Z1R recently and IMO the sound didn't became thinner, but it did became more energetic and wide open than it's with the WM1Z. So maybe the whole setup should be taken into consideration. The Z1R is pretty sensitive to the characteristics from the source.

I noticed the wider soundstage, but the individual instruments and vocals did sound a bit thinner than I was used to. Perhaps it's because of the wider soundstage that I perceived the effect since the cohesion is now different?

The TAZH1ES has many settings that could have been active on the demo unit. They all change the sound more than a cable can. Go there again without your kids an turn all sound settings off. Then and only then you can compare.

Good point. I'm not sure what settings were on. Need to go back and make sure it's neutrally set. thanks.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,376 of 9,631

Their $3500 DAP is a bit dark sounding imo and their amplifier makes it more brighter. I would say I liked the Z1R the best with their amplifier.

The same thing happened to my Aeon’s when I first connected it to the Sony DAP and then with the Sony amplifier.

So there is alot of colouration going on there.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,377 of 9,631
Their $3500 DAP is a bit dark sounding imo and their amplifier makes it more brighter. I would say I liked the Z1R the best with their amplifier.

The same thing happened to my Aeon’s when I first connected it to the Sony DAP and then with the Sony amplifier.

So there is alot of colouration going on there.
I think the WM1A is quite neutral. My ZX1 is also more dark, warmish sounding in comparison.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,378 of 9,631
I noticed the wider soundstage, but the individual instruments and vocals did sound a bit thinner than I was used to. Perhaps it's because of the wider soundstage that I perceived the effect since the cohesion is now different?

Good point. I'm not sure what settings were on. Need to go back and make sure it's neutrally set. thanks.
As for the options of the amplifier, I suggest the DSD remastering be turned on when connected to digital sources. The other settings should be OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back