Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 27, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #8,341 of 9,635
Same, while it's difficult to directly compare headphones and IEMs, as much as I'd like to say the MDR is the big brother of the two, the IER is actually the better sonic performer. MDR is comfy, and sexy as hell, but combined with Tazzy, IER is, for me, unbeatable. Still, if you can afford to own both, I think it's worth it, just to switch it up from time to time.
Agreed, for the varieties are the spices of life :). It is worth it to have both

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #8,343 of 9,635
I am back in the game!!! And this improved TAZ with MDR is such a great combo. If one would think that they can just listen to MDR out of a powerful DAP, then they should think again. When hooked into a more powerful amp, the MDR would scale up again!! It just doesn’t stop scaling up at all.

Then there are Dekoni Pads. I have both the Alcantara and hybrid versions here. They bring enjoyable changes to the signatures. The hybrid is more open, still punchy, little more speed in transients which improves bass articulations somewhat, but you may face sibilants issues depends on recordings.

Dekoni Velcro will further providing that neutral signatures overall that you crave for and together with the largest staging, while attenuates the sub bass and improve transient responses the most ! This Pad is the best pads for MDR if you don’t care much for the emphasized sub bass and mid bass or slower transient responses, but rather craving for the larger staging together with the most neutral signatures that MDR can bring out

Stock pads : bass monster, slowest transients, also the least tendency to bring sibilants. Warm and dark

Dekoni hybrid: tastefully less bass and faster transients with the tendency to being sibilants. Still warm and dark, little less than stock

Dekoni Alcantara: Most neutral, most soundstage, bass is a lot more controlled and articulated, most transient speediness. The Least warm and dark…

One thing with Dekoni is that unlike Stock pads, no marking is provided, and that is such a sweet PITA to put on….I recommend Dekoni to start marking them up in some ways, either with a permanent marker or a leather imprint like stock pads. Amazing pads/products, can not just lack a little marker

4308BF12-D9AA-457D-B583-A1C74A7C8B30.jpeg
2E610FA9-E336-4AE6-8327-82901CB23B85.jpeg
1A45529F-0716-4313-9637-C7CB6403D6E6.jpeg
2BCD142E-392F-4491-BA00-17BC7F7C747E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #8,344 of 9,635
I am back in the game!!! And this improved TAZ with MDR is such a great combo. If one would think that they can just listen to MDR out of a powerful DAP, then they should think again. When hooked into a more powerful amp, the MDR would scale up again!! It just doesn’t stop scaling up at all.

Then there are Dekoni Pads. I have both the Alcantara and hybrid versions here. They bring enjoyable changes to the signatures. The hybrid is more open, still punchy, little more speed in transients which improves bass articulations somewhat, but you may face sibilants issues depends on recordings.

Dekoni Velcro will further providing that neutral signatures overall that you crave for and together with the largest staging, while attenuates the sub bass and improve transient responses the most ! This Pad is the best pads for MDR if you don’t care much for the emphasized sub bass and mid bass or slower transient responses, but rather craving for the larger staging together with the most neutral signatures that MDR can bring out

Stock pads : bass monster, slowest transients, also the least tendency to bring sibilants. Warm and dark

Dekoni hybrid: tastefully less bass and faster transients with the tendency to being sibilants. Still warm and dark, little less than stock

Dekoni Alcantara: Most neutral, most soundstage, bass is a lot more controlled and articulated, most transient speediness. The Least warm and dark…

4308BF12-D9AA-457D-B583-A1C74A7C8B30.jpeg
2E610FA9-E336-4AE6-8327-82901CB23B85.jpeg
1A45529F-0716-4313-9637-C7CB6403D6E6.jpeg
2BCD142E-392F-4491-BA00-17BC7F7C747E.jpeg
Welcome back to the club! I definitely don't consider the MDR a bass monster. Great bass, but more of a balanced tuning for me, even with Taz. I wouldn't want any less bass, that's for sure. It still doesn't like poorly recorded female vocals that tend to grate a bit, but with good quality material it absolutely shines. A very easy listen. I'm not a fan of neutral/bright sound, from headphones or sources. I also don't find the Sony sound particularly thick. Full yes, thick no.

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #8,346 of 9,635
Yeah, that sibilants tendency on some female can be tamed a little with upgraded cables, either pure copper or pure silver. I will get it again :)
I've upgraded to the Kimber Axios Cu, after upgrading the stock cable to the Sony Kimber. The Axios is a slight improvement on the Sony Kimber, but is also one of the most beautiful and well made cables I've owned. I tend to avoid pure silver because I'm not a fan of brighter treble or diminished bass warmth.

AxiosCU_04.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #8,347 of 9,635
I've upgraded to the Kimber Axios Cu, after upgrading the stock cable to the Sony Kimber. The Axios is a slight improvement on the Sony Kimber, but is also one of the most beautiful and well made cables I've owned. I tend to avoid pure silver because I'm not a fan of brighter treble or diminished bass warmth.
A well made silver cable does not have brighter treble or diminished bass warmth. I upgraded from a AXIOS Cu to the DHC Prion4 and only saw cleaner deeper bass and a wider soundstage. The Prion4 also made my LCD-X listenable.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #8,350 of 9,635
A well made silver cable does not have brighter treble or diminished bass warmth. I upgraded from a AXIOS Cu to the DHC Prion4 and only saw cleaner deeper bass and a wider soundstage. The Prion4 also made my LCD-X listenable.
Totally agree, that is also what I find with the Lavri Grand and why I ended up selling the Axios CU

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #8,352 of 9,635
How does pure silver affect female vocals on the Z1R/Taz/1Z?
To me the Grand simply opened and tightened everything a bit more than the Axios without really changing the basic tonality of anything though some might feel that the Axios has a little more warmth. However it has been nearly a year since I had the Axios so my audio memory is fuzzy

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #8,354 of 9,635
Nice, do you still plan on modding it in any way?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back