Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 20, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #8,326 of 9,635
He's is the king of pictures on HF by quite a margin...and he has a good sense of humor too.
but he is so good that any other picture looks like a failure :p - people start avoiding to post pictures right after he posted one.
this meme fits in perfectly: everyone who just wanted to share a picture feels like biden, when obama (@gLer) just posted a high glossy magazine picture like something 🙃.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #8,327 of 9,635
but he is so good that any other picture looks like a failure :p - people start avoiding to post pictures right after he posted one.
this meme fits in perfectly: everyone who just wanted to share a picture feels like biden, when obama (@gLer) just posted a high glossy magazine picture like something 🙃.
As good as he is, it will never stop myself posting my own "decent" iPhone pictures :)

May 20, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #8,328 of 9,635
Apologies for the long multiquote...
Incredible pics. You choose a very good place (I think is a table?) to put the headphones on, does a very good sinergy with the new cable.
congratulations. man your pictures are commercial ready, really :) - do you have a photo studio + professional light spots or what? :)
Thanks guys. Actually I just improvised with this one. Wood burl table up against a wall, window above for light, the black fabric inners from the TA-ZH1ES box providing the 'black' background. Then just a tweak or two in Lightroom to get the highlights/shadows balance. I did use a pro macro lens and full-frame DSLR, but I use them for work too since that's what I do.
He's is the king of pictures on HF by quite a margin...and he has a good sense of humor too.
Why thank you, kind sir! Sometimes my attempts at humour don't quite land where I thought they would though 🙈
I am sure you will really enjoy them! I know I would! And they would be on my ears all day long too! A great choice for sure.
My favourite headphones by some distance indeed.
As good as he is, it will never stop myself posting my own "decent" iPhone pictures :)
Now now, this isn't a competition. More often than not I use my smartphone to take pics. I only bring the fancy gear out for you lot (and my paying clients!). 😝

Seriously though, don't ever be shy to share your photos. Use images you really like as inspiration for your own. That's how I taught myself to shoot, and how I teach others too.

May 20, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #8,329 of 9,635
Why thank you, kind sir! Sometimes my attempts at humour don't quite land where I thought they would though 🙈
I exactly know what you are talking about... hence my comment. We are safe here :smile:, they won't look after us in a Sony thread

May 20, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #8,331 of 9,635
Tell me about it. Some people take themselves far too seriously! 😅
Indeed and in general anyway. Not only in the audio hobby of ours...but that's another story.

May 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #8,332 of 9,635
Ending my tonight musical session with an Ambient masterpiece out of the IER-Z1R

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #8,334 of 9,635
May 26, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #8,335 of 9,635
May 26, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #8,336 of 9,635
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I had originally thought this headphone might be a portable option for me, paired with my Qudelix 5k, that I might be able to travel with.. yeah, no. I think my Aeon 2 Closed are still going to fit that bill. These things are simply HUGE. I can't even really lie down with them on too comfortably, so they're basically relegated to home office use. I do like roaming around the house with them (on the 5k) that also works.

Before too long I'm going to give a VC a try and I guess I'll likely unload this or that, depending.
Yeah the Z1R is more on the average flagship size, BIG. If it's transportable closed back Aeon and Z7 is more on that alley.

May 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #8,337 of 9,635
I have a question for IER-Z1R users who also own the MDR-Z1R. Does the MDR-Z1R have a similar sound signature to the IER-Z1R, or would the MDR-Z1R's sound signature be closer to that of the Z7M2?

I own the IER-Z1R and Tazzy, and together they are a really good pairing - I like Sony's philosophy towards the IER-Z1R, that has a focus on feeling as if you are 'live' at the performance itself especially through its realistic bass reproduction and nuance. I may have an opportunity to pick up the MDR-Z1R at a fair price, and will likely do so if its cut from the same cloth as the IER-Z1R. Thanks!

May 27, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #8,338 of 9,635
I have a question for IER-Z1R users who also own the MDR-Z1R. Does the MDR-Z1R have a similar sound signature to the IER-Z1R, or would the MDR-Z1R's sound signature be closer to that of the Z7M2?

I own the IER-Z1R and Tazzy, and together they are a really good pairing - I like Sony's philosophy towards the IER-Z1R, that has a focus on feeling as if you are 'live' at the performance itself especially through its realistic bass reproduction and nuance. I may have an opportunity to pick up the MDR-Z1R at a fair price, and will likely do so if its cut from the same cloth as the IER-Z1R. Thanks!
IER Z1R is of it own. In some instances it is similar to MDR, but mostly the warmth and bass is more articulated, controlled with IER than MDR. The dynamism and punchiness of both of these are pretty amazing though.

I am getting MDR again, this time possibly trying to look for mods to improve it some more, at least bringing it closer to the IER :)

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #8,339 of 9,635

I would say both Z1R share a similar but not identical sound signature. Can’t comment on the Z7 as I’ve never heard it. If I could only keep one it would be the IER.

May 27, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #8,340 of 9,635
I would say both Z1R share a similar but not identical sound signature. Can’t comment on the Z7 as I’ve never heard it. If I could only keep one it would be the IER.
Same, while it's difficult to directly compare headphones and IEMs, as much as I'd like to say the MDR is the big brother of the two, the IER is actually the better sonic performer. MDR is comfy, and sexy as hell, but combined with Tazzy, IER is, for me, unbeatable. Still, if you can afford to own both, I think it's worth it, just to switch it up from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back