Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 6, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #8,281 of 9,633
Can anyone tell me how much sound difference there is between the MDR-Z1R and the MDR-Z7m2 ? is it worth the huge cost to buy the

MDR-Z1R?

Have a listen to this channel's videos:

You can really hear the differences. I've thought about getting the Z7mk2 as a different sound choice but I've not done that yet. It's probably because I'm broke now. :)

May 15, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #8,282 of 9,633
Can anyone tell me how much sound difference there is between the MDR-Z1R and the MDR-Z7m2 ? is it worth the huge cost to buy the

MDR-Z1R?

I can tell you that the Z7M2 is a fantastic headphone, and for it's price it punches above it's weight. That being said, it just isn't in the same class as the Z1R (which makes sense, given the price difference).

Here are what I consider the biggest differences between the two, and please bear in mind my point of reference is that the Z7M2 is a phenomenal baseline to begin with. If I sound negative about it at all, it's only in comparison to the Z1R, which is a totally different animal.

Bass
A lot of people refer to the Z1R as a "bass monster" and before getting one, I didn't really know what that meant: Did it have a lot of bass? Would it bring more bass to every track? Turns out what I think people mean by "monster" is that it will forever change your appreciation for the different kinds of bass. With the Z7M2 the bass is quite one-dimensional, really it all sounds the same. That is to say, really good, but very similar. The Z1R renders bass in ways I've never heard before and you can feel it much more than in the 7.

Clarity
The Z1R is able to render details a lot better than the Z7M2, even when the stage is "full". By that I mean when there is a lot going on, lots of instruments competing in the same space. The Z7M2 starts to get muddy at this point and the Z1R fairs better. I partially believe this is down to the Z7M2 being a proper closed back, whereas the Z1R is designed and built in a way that makes internal resonance a non-issue. I tried the "tape mod" on the Z7M2 and while this does make it appreciably better, it's still not at the same level as the Z1R.

Tonal Differences
The Z7M2, while being an incredible all-rounder, does suffer from a slightly weak midrange. Vocals, especially male vocals, feel "pushed back" on the Z7M2s which isn't a problem on the Z1R, everything sounds as it should be (though coloured).

Dynamics
When I talk about dynamics I mean the variance in feeling and texture in recordings. How hard things "slap" and how real they feel. The Z1R pulls away again in this regard by making instruments feel lifelike and moving the air from the driver in a more pleasing way. Movies in particular sound great in the Z7M2, but the Z1R feels more like being in the cinema. I hope that makes sense.

There are areas where they're quite similar though:

Comfort
Both are really comfortable headphones for extended duration listening.

Soundstage
I'd say they're about equal in this regard, both pushing the absolute limits of what a closed headphone can do. Sure, the Z1R pulls a few tricks to edge ahead, but it's more ahead in the quality within the soundstage, rather than the sizing. For both headphones, though: Upgrade from the stock cable. That will make the biggest difference.

Hope this helps anyone else out there, I know I struggled during the buying process and ended up getting both! You only live once, right?

May 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #8,283 of 9,633
I can tell you that the Z7M2 is a fantastic headphone, and for it's price it punches above it's weight. That being said, it just isn't in the same class as the Z1R (which makes sense, given the price difference).

Here are what I consider the biggest differences between the two, and please bear in mind my point of reference is that the Z7M2 is a phenomenal baseline to begin with. If I sound negative about it at all, it's only in comparison to the Z1R, which is a totally different animal.

Bass
A lot of people refer to the Z1R as a "bass monster" and before getting one, I didn't really know what that meant: Did it have a lot of bass? Would it bring more bass to every track? Turns out what I think people mean by "monster" is that it will forever change your appreciation for the different kinds of bass. With the Z7M2 the bass is quite one-dimensional, really it all sounds the same. That is to say, really good, but very similar. The Z1R renders bass in ways I've never heard before and you can feel it much more than in the 7.

Clarity
The Z1R is able to render details a lot better than the Z7M2, even when the stage is "full". By that I mean when there is a lot going on, lots of instruments competing in the same space. The Z7M2 starts to get muddy at this point and the Z1R fairs better. I partially believe this is down to the Z7M2 being a proper closed back, whereas the Z1R is designed and built in a way that makes internal resonance a non-issue. I tried the "tape mod" on the Z7M2 and while this does make it appreciably better, it's still not at the same level as the Z1R.

Tonal Differences
The Z7M2, while being an incredible all-rounder, does suffer from a slightly weak midrange. Vocals, especially male vocals, feel "pushed back" on the Z7M2s which isn't a problem on the Z1R, everything sounds as it should be (though coloured).

Dynamics
When I talk about dynamics I mean the variance in feeling and texture in recordings. How hard things "slap" and how real they feel. The Z1R pulls away again in this regard by making instruments feel lifelike and moving the air from the driver in a more pleasing way. Movies in particular sound great in the Z7M2, but the Z1R feels more like being in the cinema. I hope that makes sense.

Comfort

Soundstage
I'd say they're about equal in this regard, both pushing the absolute limits of what a closed headphone can do. Sure, the Z1R pulls a few tricks to edge ahead, but it's more ahead in the quality within the soundstage, rather than the sizing. For both headphones, though: Upgrade from the stock cable. That will make the biggest difference.

Hope this helps anyone else out there, I know I struggled during the buying process and ended up getting both! You only live once, right?
I really appreciate your summation in comparing the two Sonys. You would say it be worth the money to buy the Z1R? I like the Z7M2 but felt that there are other headphones that are just as good for the price range. I still purchased the Z7, after I saw a report that the two were very close in performance. I am now sorry I did that. Again, you did a great job of explaining the difference-and therefore there's a great difference for someone looking for the performance of the Z1R renders. Thank you!

May 15, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #8,284 of 9,633

Bass

Clarity

Tonal Differences

Dynamics

Comfort

Soundstage

highly appreciate your detailed comparison on a sunday.

You would say it be worth the money to buy the Z1R?
i know them both and for me: yes, absolutely - any penny extra worth it. however, it is more important that you try them next to each other and decide based upon that. SQ is simply very subjective.

May 15, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #8,285 of 9,633
highly appreciate your detailed comparison on a sunday.

i know them both and for me: yes, absolutely - any penny extra worth it. however, it is more important that you try them next to each other and decide based upon that. SQ is simply very subjective.

Bass

Clarity

Tonal Differences

Dynamics

Comfort

Soundstage

Great write-up. I don't know the z7 at all -- never heard it, but I've recently become a pretty huge fan of the Z1R, and think if you can snag one for 1000 - 1200 USD you're probably doing alright for yourself.

I wish they had a little more slam, or "macrodynamics", quite frankly. I would expect a "bass-cannon" style, closed-back headphone to hit a little harder than it does. I think my DCA Aeon 2 Closed (not known for dynamics at all) is actually a little punchier than this headphone. The Focal Clear blows it out of the water in this respect... just comparing to other cans I've owned and spent a lot of time with over the years. But I'm never really feeling cheated in this respect. It kicks a bit, when the music calls for it. Just not class-leading in this regard, and especially for a dynamic-driver headphone.

Comfort is another area that people seem to be in favorable agreement over. I actually think the stock pads, with their odd, lower lobe shape thickness, put too much pressure on my jaw and aren't the best I've experienced. They give me some jaw pain, actually. I swapped out the stock pads this week for dekoni solid sheepskins, and really think it's a winning combo. Both comfort-wise and sonically... The pads are flatter against the side of my face. I find this to be way more comfortable than the oddly-shaped "ergonomic" stock pads.

I think the Z1R really benefits from EQ, personally. I like boosting the 500 hz range to make the "scooped out" (and stage-enhancing) frequency response sound better *to my ears*. I think without some correction in the midrange, the signature is too "V-shaped" and lacks a certain liquidity and richness, especially with vocals. I will also add some subbass, and a little 6k hz for clarity and detail. As always YMMV.

All these nits aside, I think the Z1R is a damned fine headphone, and don't quite get all the negativity and polarized responses it seems to elicit. It's fun an analytical at the same time, offers isolation, comfort, and looks sexy AF. What more do you need? I foresee this headphone staying in my collection for a long, long time. It is also my daily driver at the moment.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #8,286 of 9,633
I wish they had a little more slam, or "macrodynamics", quite frankly. I would expect a "bass-cannon" style, closed-back headphone to hit a little harder than it does.
I wonder if the source impacts this in that case because I couldn't personally wish for more slam, at times it becomes downright oppressive!! In a good way, of course. I'd like to think that model variance isn't to blame with something as highly QA'd as the Z1R but you never know...

May 16, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #8,287 of 9,633
Great write-up. I don't know the z7 at all -- never heard it, but I've recently become a pretty huge fan of the Z1R, and think if you can snag one for 1000 - 1200 USD you're probably doing alright for yourself.

I wish they had a little more slam, or "macrodynamics", quite frankly. I would expect a "bass-cannon" style, closed-back headphone to hit a little harder than it does. I think my DCA Aeon 2 Closed (not known for dynamics at all) is actually a little punchier than this headphone. The Focal Clear blows it out of the water in this respect... just comparing to other cans I've owned and spent a lot of time with over the years. But I'm never really feeling cheated in this respect. It kicks a bit, when the music calls for it. Just not class-leading in this regard, and especially for a dynamic-driver headphone.

Comfort is another area that people seem to be in favorable agreement over. I actually think the stock pads, with their odd, lower lobe shape thickness, put too much pressure on my jaw and aren't the best I've experienced. They give me some jaw pain, actually. I swapped out the stock pads this week for dekoni solid sheepskins, and really think it's a winning combo. Both comfort-wise and sonically... The pads are flatter against the side of my face. I find this to be way more comfortable than the oddly-shaped "ergonomic" stock pads.

I think the Z1R really benefits from EQ, personally. I like boosting the 500 hz range to make the "scooped out" (and stage-enhancing) frequency response sound better *to my ears*. I think without some correction in the midrange, the signature is too "V-shaped" and lacks a certain liquidity and richness, especially with vocals. I will also add some subbass, and a little 6k hz for clarity and detail. As always YMMV.

All these nits aside, I think the Z1R is a damned fine headphone, and don't quite get all the negativity and polarized responses it seems to elicit. It's fun an analytical at the same time, offers isolation, comfort, and looks sexy AF. What more do you need? I foresee this headphone staying in my collection for a long, long time. It is also my daily driver at the moment.
Thank you for the impute!

May 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #8,288 of 9,633
So I finally put the finishing touches to my Z1R system...

axioscu.jpg

May 16, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #8,291 of 9,633
May 16, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #8,292 of 9,633
So I finally put the finishing touches to my Z1R system...

axioscu.jpg
Nice. I assume it is my old Axios that I sold to gerelmex and he then sold to you when he bought my first Lavri Grand after getting the latest generation of Lavri Grand ?

May 16, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #8,293 of 9,633
Sony Signature Series. WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES, IER-Z1R, MDR-Z1R.
I have yet to try Sony MDR-Z1R, but am extremely satisfied with my Shure SRH1540 headphones with Sony NW-WM1Z. They're easy-to-drive and sound sublime.

May 16, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #8,294 of 9,633
I have yet to try Sony MDR-Z1R, but am extremely satisfied with my Shure SRH1540 headphones with Sony NW-WM1Z. They're easy-to-drive and sound sublime.
I used to have a pair of SRH1540s in the not-too-distant past. Great headphone for the money.

May 16, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #8,295 of 9,633

Users who are viewing this thread

Back