Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #8,266 of 9,644
Any EQ applied to those bad-boys?? I agree that they're pretty tremendous cans, but think they benefit from a touch of fine tuning. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy those beauties :) (And amazing photo BTW)
Thanks! Yeah, I’m always EQ’ing something. Never been much of a “purest”… ha

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #8,267 of 9,644
zcPD1oN.jpg

These will remian in my collection for the foreseeable future. Definitely a bassy headphone but the low end is so layered and textured. Comfort is unlike anything else i own, maybe besides the Empyrean. Aesthetics is work of art. One of the best investments i have ever made in this hobby.

The bass is what I enjoy the most👍

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #8,268 of 9,644
I only got the Bifrost quite recently (upgraded from a modius) and was actually quite surprised at how much of a difference it made.
Oh yeah! that's what I was hoping to hear, LOL. I should get mine next week, and will definitely report back. I'm kinda excited because I'm going to run both my current DAC and the Bifrost into my Lokius (which then routes to my Ragnarok 2) so A/B'ing them will be as easy as flipping the switch on the Lokius from SE to Balanced. No unplugging/replugging/losing auditory memory bullsh*t... and also ease of blind testing if I can get my wife to flip the switch for me while I look in the other direction.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #8,269 of 9,644
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #8,270 of 9,644
Just because I happened to take a screen grab of my current EQ settings on my Qudelix 5K for the Z1R, thought I'd share... This sounds totally natural and not-bloated to me. Nicely detailed and yet "flat" (I mean that in a good way)
06E0557B-A0DD-412B-A116-C31DE7A10947.png

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #8,275 of 9,644
How do the Z1R compare to the meze empyrean outta curiosity?

I just got the Z1R and paired them with my mcintosh mha100 and so far I really dig it.
I have several other flagship cans, however I find these really fun to listen to especially with metal, electronica, etc. Decidedly more engaging and less polarizing.

They remind me of the verites, but less veiled.

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #8,276 of 9,644
So I’ve been spending loads of time with the Z1R this week… and I think I’m liking it even more than I did upon first listen. I’m 100% adjusting to its character, and somewhat atypical presentation (at least coming from a more “reference” perspective). As I adjust to the headphone, I’m backing off on the amount of EQ I’m using. In fact, right now I’m listening to some of my favorite tracks and the only knob on my Lokius in use is the 125 Hz. It’s only pulling an estimated 3 db out of that band. Everything is sounding incredibly rich and detailed, wide and spacious, with plenty of space around each “voice”, and I can “hear the room” very well. I’m noticing details I’ve never heard before (as cliché as that is to say… apologies). I’m super happy I pulled the trigger on these.

In other news, I’m struggling a bit with the comfort. I think the clamping force and the shape of the pads is pressing on my temples (I’m also a full-time glasses wearer, I should mention) and causing some headaches. It’s definitely bumming me out a bit. I had minor issues with the DCA Ether 2 as well, with the tight clamping force, but not so much with other cans I’ve owned over the years. Headband discomfort is another matter entirely (I’m looking at you, HE6se V2), but clamping is not usually an issue for me. I’m considering trying the Dekoni hybrid pads for the possibility of better comfort, and potentially a little less boom (?) in the FR.

I know some other folks have tried 3rd party pads on the Z1R. Any recommendations out there? Or going by what I read online most people seem to find the comfort on this headphone to be exceptional, so maybe I’m in the minority here? Anyway, feedback most welcome…

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #8,277 of 9,644

I just got the Z1R and paired them with my mcintosh mha100 and so far I really dig it.
I have several other flagship cans, however I find these really fun to listen to especially with metal, electronica, etc. Decidedly more engaging and less polarizing.

Interesting you think these aren't polarizing. When I was reading up on them, deciding to buy a pair I found that people were either ardent supporters or big-time haters of these cans. It seemed to me that few people were in the middle as regarded their opinions. But that was just my take... perhaps people on both extremes are just more aggressive about voicing their opinions?

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #8,278 of 9,644

I also think it's interesting that you find these less veiled than the Verite. I'm dying to pit the Z1R against a VC. I was actually hoping the VC would have the upper hand wrt resolution. I'll wind up buying a VC before too long I think... just waiting for the right deal to come along at this point

May 1, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #8,279 of 9,644
i have them both and listen to them daily. however, close vs. open... really hard to compare to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back