Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #7,801 of 9,633
What I like about them is a couple of things.

First and foremost they sound VERY big for a closed hp.
Bass is to die for. Both quality and quantity. Bass is also noticeably looser than planar bass. That together with the sense of grand scale makes them perfect for live recordings, the bigger the venue the better, they sound very natural for that. But as said before, they are suitable for anything, they offer a real fun. That are probably what I would pick if I could just have one pair for the rest of my life.
I did sell everything else full size after getting the Z1R 5 years ago and have had no desire to even try anything else. They are musical, euphoric and very comfortable, but they are in no way subscribing to the linear, neutral, reference trend

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #7,802 of 9,633
I did sell everything else full size after getting the Z1R 5 years ago and have had no desire to even try anything else. They are musical, euphoric and very comfortable, but they are in no way subscribing to the linear, neutral, reference trend
Amen to that. Though sometimes I want that fast and tight planar sound.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #7,803 of 9,633
Very nice description of the MDR-Z1R. I have a pair myself and wholeheartedly agree with all you have said.

By the way, I do too sometimes crave bass that’s a bit faster, tighter and punchier. That’s when I put the Focal Stellia on. It’s not planar, but the beryllium drivers must be doing their job properly. Not sure if you have tried but they complement the MDR-Z1R quite well.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,804 of 9,633
I had the HE-6 before so it was a bit of an adjustment getting the Z1R but I don’t really miss them

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #7,805 of 9,633
What I like about them is a couple of things.

First and foremost they sound VERY big for a closed hp.
Bass is to die for. Both quality and quantity. Bass is also noticeably looser than planar bass. That together with the sense of grand scale makes them perfect for live recordings, the bigger the venue the better, they sound very natural for that. But as said before, they are suitable for anything, they offer a real fun. That are probably what I would pick if I could just have one pair for the rest of my life.
As soon as possible I will get a pair of Z1Rs... But my experience regarding my Z7s and in comparison with my 9200s is as follows:

With my 9200s I can disgregate the music parts and follow just the bass, the guitars, the vocals and I appreciate a lot that. I love their technicallities, specially regarding to bass and sub-bass.

With my Z7s I hear the music as a whole and get lost with it.

The only thing that bother me with both of them is sometimes the treble (female vocals with 9200s and some instruments -piano or clarinet, for example- with the Z7s).

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #7,806 of 9,633
As soon as possible I will get a pair of Z1Rs... But my experience regarding my Z7s and in comparison with my 9200s is as follows:

With my 9200s I can disgregate the music parts and follow just the bass, the guitars, the vocals and I appreciate a lot that. I love their technicallities, specially regarding to bass and sub-bass.

With my Z7s I hear the music as a whole and get lost with it.

The only thing that bother me with both of them is sometimes the treble (female vocals with 9200s and some instruments -piano or clarinet, for example- with the Z7s).
To be fair and completely transparent, what you’re saying in your last sentence somewhat applies to the z1r as well. I would definitely not call it a bright headphone, but on certain recordings the treble can sometimes be a liiiiittle hot, just on certain recordings, and I am super sensitive to hot treble. Still love the z1r.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #7,807 of 9,633
To be fair and completely transparent, what you’re saying in your last sentence somewhat applies to the z1r as well. I would definitely not call it a bright headphone, but on certain recordings the treble can sometimes be a liiiiittle hot, just on certain recordings, and I am super sensitive to hot treble. Still love the z1r.
Yes, I know that, but due to my love of the Z7s musicality, I want to try the big brother and also to feel that incredible bass that everybody like...

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #7,808 of 9,633
Yes, I know that, but due to my love of the Z7s musicality, I want to try the big brother and also to feel that incredible bass that everybody like...
I actually purchased the MDR-Z7 after the MDR-Z1R. And at first I somehow thought the two headphones were the same in many ways. But truly I was wrong. I made the mistake of saying the Z7 was only 10% less than the MDR-Z1R. People in this thread corrected me and it’s true, the MDR-Z1R is a completely different animal from the Z7. Everything about it is different really, way bigger soundstage, a tighter more focused bass, a complex and realistic treble experience with big cymbal splashes that have imaging and decay. Obviously other headphones may offer a faster difference in bass response than the MDR-Z1R. But you kind of have to look at the Z1R response as a whole; it is cohesive but may take a day or two before it sounds totally correct to a first time listener?

They feel like your wearing nothing though are noticeably bigger than the Z7. The bass is more detailed and has a full-on texture of bass instruments, better delineated and positioned in comparison to the Z7. Truly after doing side by side tests I was wondering how I earlier thought they were similar?

It’s like Sony took some of the Sony house sound ideas and spread out the imaging in comparison to the Z7. More musical information and a way more natural sounding positioning of instruments. IMO

It’s like the Z7 does musical drawings but the MDR-Z1R does musical paintings, big elaborate paintings!

The Z7 gets looked at now as a style of stepping stone, as the MDR-ZIR would not exist unless they produced the Z7 first. IMO

Sony went about tidying up Z7 mistakes and made complete corrections when developing the MDR-Z1R. IMO

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #7,809 of 9,633
I started with the LCD-X first with the Moon Black Dragon cable, then the Cardas Clear Light. It was OK but I missed bass. Once I got the MDR-Z1R I didn't use the LCD-X at all. Once I got the DHC Prion4 for the MDR-Z1R and adapters to use it on the LCD-X I started using it more for music where a planar shines. But 95% of the time I use the MDR-Z1R as others said, the bass and musicality can't be beat. It's so easy to get lost in the music.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #7,810 of 9,633
I started with the LCD-X first with the Moon Black Dragon cable, then the Cardas Clear Light. It was OK but I missed bass. Once I got the MDR-Z1R I didn't use the LCD-X at all. Once I got the DHC Prion4 for the MDR-Z1R and adapters to use it on the LCD-X I started using it more for music where a planar shines. But 95% of the time I use the MDR-Z1R as others said, the bass and musicality can't be beat. It's so easy to get lost in the music.
Which genres of music do you prefer your LCD-X over the Z1R?

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7,811 of 9,633
Which genres of music do you prefer your LCD-X over the Z1R?
Mainly singer songwriters like Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones and Diana Krall to name a few.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #7,813 of 9,633
Someday this headphone sounds great. It takes little brain burn in especially if you are coming from ZMF but once you persist with it and your brain adjusts to it then nothing like it. For me today is that someday

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #7,814 of 9,633
Mainly singer songwriters like Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones and Diana Krall to name a few.
I like them with WM1A either official FW 3.01 or woth @MrWalkman CFWs. I rolled then back to official 3.02 and disnt quite like the sound, at times it was overwhelmingly bassy.

Woth DMP-Z1 i really like thwm. Very big soundstage and is also very holographic. Nice clean bass that yet rumbles and excellent mid and highs.

I got a jump scare listening to Tchaikovskys Nutcracker ballet recording of Antal dorati in 1975, when a p the cussion wood gets smacked loud, i toight my Husband had fallen from the ladder in the kitchen

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #7,815 of 9,633
I like them with WM1A either official FW 3.01 or woth @MrWalkman CFWs. I rolled then back to official 3.02 and disnt quite like the sound, at times it was overwhelmingly bassy.

Woth DMP-Z1 i really like thwm. Very big soundstage and is also very holographic. Nice clean bass that yet rumbles and excellent mid and highs.

I got a jump scare listening to Tchaikovskys Nutcracker ballet recording of Antal dorati in 1975, when a p the cussion wood gets smacked loud, i toight my Husband had fallen from the ladder in the kitchen
Mine gives me those moments regularly!
I'm forever looking around😱

Users who are viewing this thread

Back