Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #7,786 of 9,633
Maybe it doesn't have enough power? It IS super tiny after all.
LOL. This is so amusing.

Of course the usb powered dragonfly red doesn't have enough power. It was the last audioquest equipment I bought as mine broke in like 2 months. It's something to be used with IEMs, not full size headphones.

Audioquest make great cables. You don't go get great tacos from a burger joint.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #7,787 of 9,633
Just tested it out. It's not as apparent on any of my powerful amps (HP-1, WHAMMY, and vintage receiver).

But as you start turning it up to "this is too loud to actually listen to" levels, I can still tell that these drivers don't scale up the entire FR evenly. There's a shoutiness that starts to occur at these high levels of output. Reminds me of the Klipsch Heresy's...those woofers can't keep up with the horns at loud levels.

It's not anything worth worrying about, especially if you have a decent source, but lesser sources won't be taking full advantage of these (no surprise there). At regular and even loud levels, things are so nice, and the bass is very weighty.

Side note: I'm in a cozy audio cocoon listening to these in bed with a Sansui AU-999 I restored awhile back. High-end vintage Japanese meets high-end modern Japanese. I didn't expect much out of this headphone jack, but wow this sounds fantastic.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #7,788 of 9,633
Either his dragknfjy is crappy or ven by modern dongles and cannot drive them well or his files are lossy andtheir inherent low-quality is exacerbated by the volume

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #7,789 of 9,633
I mean the dragonfly doesn't even have a nice volume adjustment. It goes up in sharp digital steps. It's a cute dac if you want something portable, but it has some real weaknesses. One, the "automotive" red finish doesn't stand up to even being in my pocket with keys. I damaged it within the first week. Then, if you have to use something like an Apple CCK, it puts pressure on the USB B (wrong size adapter for this size device btw.... wake me up when they make a USB C version) which is directly connected to the circuit board inside and can easily flex and break. So yeah, be careful with it.

Since then I use just a dedicated DAP device for portable audio and stopped trying to add dacs to my phone. Either that or I use bluetooth. If you use it at home in a computer desktop type setup you'll probably fare better.

But like I said I'd only use dragonflies with IEMs or sub size headphones like the Meze 99s or some of the Audio Technica headphones with lower impedeances. Not a good fit for LCD series, anything that requires a lot of power (any planars more or less) or bigger dynamics.

Will it produce audio ? Yes. Will it sound like it's supposed to ? No.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #7,790 of 9,633
Not a huge fan of DAPs, so I'm looking forward to trying the new Cayin RU6 R2R as a portable solution. It actually has a resistor ladder volume circuit. Seems promising.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #7,791 of 9,633
I got selected to review the Meye LIRIC and i have a question for those folks who jave both a Meze and the MDR-Z1R.

The canle at the Heapgone cups of the meze is 2-pole aka mono 3.5mm and the one of the Z1R are normal 3.5mm 3-pole … i have a cable axios cu that i got from @nc8000 can i connect the cable to the meze HP without any riak of a short to my DMP-Z1? I mean is the pin-out aimilar? Oris different

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #7,792 of 9,633
I got selected to review the Meye LIRIC and i have a question for those folks who jave both a Meze and the MDR-Z1R.

The canle at the Heapgone cups of the meze is 2-pole aka mono 3.5mm and the one of the Z1R are normal 3.5mm 3-pole … i have a cable axios cu that i got from @nc8000 can i connect the cable to the meze HP without any riak of a short to my DMP-Z1? I mean is the pin-out aimilar? Oris different
I would expect that you can use your Axios since even though it has a trs plug for the ear cup it still only has 2 wires

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #7,793 of 9,633

I would be curious as to your findings after you try out the Liric vs the MDR as the Liric is on my list to try and buy. As per my post in the DMP-Z1 thread I am really enjoying the MDR on the Fiio M17 much more than on the DMP. My personal opinion is that the MDR is not the best match for the DMP

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #7,794 of 9,633
I really want to try the MDR-Z1R with my Sony NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z, but I am so happy using Shure SRH1540 headphones balanced. I am in nirvana, so I am hesitant.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #7,795 of 9,633
I really want to try the MDR-Z1R with my Sony NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z, but I am so happy using Shure SRH1540 headphones balanced. I am in nirvana, so I am hesitant.
The Z1R’s are a different beast compared to that headphone. I can’t say for sure you’ll like the Z1R’s, but I think you’d be very pleased with the sound.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #7,797 of 9,633
Agree, they can be quite different from a lot of headphones, so they can take some time to adjust to and getting used to. But once you appreciate them, you won’t be getting rid of them. I have tried two times but ended up getting a new set both times simply because I didn’t find anything that could replace them sonically. This time they stay.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #7,798 of 9,633
Agree, they can be quite different from a lot of headphones, so they can take some time to adjust to and getting used to. But once you appreciate them, you won’t be getting rid of them. I have tried two times but ended up getting a new set both times simply because I didn’t find anything that could replace them sonically. This time they stay.
Can you describe what it is that makes them special for you, and also the type of music you listen to?

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #7,800 of 9,633
Can you describe what it is that makes them special for you, and also the type of music you listen to?

What I like about them is a couple of things.

First and foremost they sound VERY big for a closed hp.
Bass is to die for. Both quality and quantity. Bass is also noticeably looser than planar bass. That together with the sense of grand scale makes them perfect for live recordings, the bigger the venue the better, they sound very natural for that. But as said before, they are suitable for anything, they offer a real fun experience. They are probably what I would pick if I could just have one pair for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back