Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 27, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #7,756 of 9,633
I actually did return the headphone last week. I have regretted returning it as I feel like with some minor tweaks it could be something special. The bass is almost perfect and the treble is just slightly too peaky. It’s on the cusp of greatness.
I bet if you gave your brain another week with them, your ears would randomly "click" with it. Then, they just sound "correct" for most things. That seems to be the case with these, and how I experienced it.

Now, I have a hard time selling them lol

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #7,757 of 9,633
Hard disagree - the HD800 is poor for gaming because the soundstage is too wide and feels too hollow, plus it's an open back, you get outside noise mixed in which breaks immersion.

The T1 is actually way better than the HD800 when it comes to gaming when talking about TOTL cans - the soundstage of the T1 is just about right and more 3D, it's also semi-closed which offers more isolation for better immersion, and the bass has more thump to it than the HD800. The foot steps coming out of a T1 feels realistic and has weight to them, while on the HD800 they sound far too distant - that's not an effect you want in FPS games for example.
Yeah I game with T1.2 and have to agree. I hear teams across the map in them using an Asgard 3 and liquid spark dac. That fine mesh is such a good compromise. Z1R uses a fine mesh like that right? I've had the Z7 and also excellent gaming cans the big drivers ftw there.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #7,758 of 9,633
I don’t find them bloated at all, nor spiky/peaky in the treble
I reduced the bass just a tad with EQ on the WM1A, but yeah, I don't hear anything untoward int he treble frequencies. It baffles me when people talk about treble peaks like it's some sort of Beyer Dynamic. I wonder if it's a source issue.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #7,759 of 9,633
Does anyone else use them for multimedia (games/movies)? They seem to work really well for my gaming sessions. The comfort is really appreciated when you use them for several hours.

The bass presence and sound isolation helps with immersion. As does its solid soundstaging and imaging (at least for a closed back).

It may not be the most detailed or fast drivers out there, but I feel like that may get fatiguing with gaming/movies (just like music).

While it's cool at first, I don't want to be distracted by all the minutiae -- just looking for immersion. :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #7,760 of 9,633
Does anyone else use them for multimedia (games/movies)? They seem to work really well for my gaming sessions. The comfort is really appreciated when you use them for several hours.

The bass presence and sound isolation helps with immersion. As does its solid soundstaging and imaging (at least for a closed back).

It may not be the most detailed or fast drivers out there, but I feel like that may get fatiguing with gaming/movies (just like music).

While it's cool at first, I don't want to be distracted by all the minutiae -- just looking for immersion. :)
I agree - the bass on the MDR-Z1R is so grand and immersive, it provides a low-end presentation that comes closest to watching a movie in an IMAX theatre (in terms of headphones, of course).

I don't use the MDR-Z1R for movies, but I regularly listen to OST tracks with them, and they are simply brilliant for the task. :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #7,761 of 9,633
I agree - the bass on the MDR-Z1R is so grand and immersive, it provides a low-end presentation that comes closest to watching a movie in an IMAX theatre (in terms of headphones, of course).
I had that sort of impression after I saw Blade Runner 2049 in theatre, and then listened to the soundtrack on my MDR-Z7.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #7,762 of 9,633
With the DMP-Z1 the MDR-Z1R sound spectacularly . Spacious and roomy. Reference clean bass and holography like never before (akin to listening to 5.1)

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #7,763 of 9,633
Wow the combo of MDR-Z1R + DMP-Z1 has that summit-fi feeling as close as the real performance. And that is woth a DMP not yet fully burnt in

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #7,764 of 9,633
I unfortunately have already returned the headphones. They were very good in all aspects except gaming, which was one of my main needs. I posted some thoughts in the MLE gaming headphone post as to why these headphones are ones to stay away from.
I cycle between my T1 and Z1R depending on the ambient noise near my room, so far, no Z1R isn't inferior for the job than the T1 in any significant way. They each has their strength and weaknesses, but the Z1R is still hands down the best for movie watching, especially Western action movies where substantial bass is almost mandatory for enjoyment.
that characteristics carries on to game also, ones where some low grunt is needed, i prefer the Z1R.
Tho really it depends on the content itself as obviously not all game's sound designs are made equal. I barely do any competitive FPS games, the closest are some World of Tanks every now and then, the games I main are open World RPG Red Dead2, Cyberpunk, and most often for me, Genshin Impact.
not sure what exactly causes your problem, but have you tried it with other games/ sources? how long did you let the driver run its course?

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #7,765 of 9,633
I cycle between my T1 and Z1R depending on the ambient noise near my room, so far, no Z1R isn't inferior for the job than the T1 in any significant way. They each has their strength and weaknesses, but the Z1R is still hands down the best for movie watching, especially Western action movies where substantial bass is almost mandatory for enjoyment.
that characteristics carries on to game also, ones where some low grunt is needed, i prefer the Z1R.
Tho really it depends on the content itself as obviously not all game's sound designs are made equal. I barely do any competitive FPS games, the closest are some World of Tanks every now and then, the games I main are open World RPG Red Dead2, Cyberpunk, and most often for me, Genshin Impact.
not sure what exactly causes your problem, but have you tried it with other games/ sources? how long did you let the driver run its course?
In the other thread he/she mentioned that the FR provided a "listening through a seashell" presentation. I've heard this comment once before elsewhere.

I don't really hear a seashell with them, but I can see how they would sound weird when immediately A/Bing them with other cans.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,766 of 9,633
In the other thread he/she mentioned that the FR provided a "listening through a seashell" presentation. I've heard this comment once before elsewhere.

I don't really hear a seashell with them, but I can see how they would sound weird when immediately A/Bing them with other cans.

I played exclusively with the headphones for 2 days straight. Then I put my HD800S’ on and it was like night and day for “competitive gaming”. Everything about the Z1R is opposite of what is needed for FPS type gaming. I did love the comfort and playing contemporary music with the headphone, but unfortunately I needed it to be an all around closed back headphone (gaming, music, movies, podcasts etc etc). It did not achieve my goal.

Looking into upgrading towards a DCA Stealth, Verite Closed or Meze Liric

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #7,767 of 9,633
I played exclusively with the headphones for 2 days straight. Then I put my HD800S’ on and it was like night and day for “competitive gaming”. Everything about the Z1R is opposite of what is needed for FPS type gaming. I did love the comfort and playing contemporary music with the headphone, but unfortunately I needed it to be an all around closed back headphone (gaming, music, movies, podcasts etc etc). It did not achieve my goal.

Looking into upgrading towards a DCA Stealth, Verite Closed or Meze Liric
HD800S is king for competitive, period. EQ the bass up and it's also seriously immersive. You're not going to find a better gaming can, IMO.

Are you looking to add a closed back as a complement to the HD800S?

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #7,768 of 9,633
HD800S is king for competitive, period. EQ the bass up and it's also seriously immersive. You're not going to find a better gaming can, IMO.

Are you looking to add a closed back as a complement to the HD800S?

Replacement actually. I’m not big on open backs in my currently environment. Too loud around the house and in the room. Also, looking for a headphone that excels with contemporary music as well as gaming, which the HD800S does not. Listening to old school hop on on them is brutal.

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #7,769 of 9,633
Yeah for me I value immersion way more than any edge in competitive gaming, and in separation and placement I feel he Z1R isn't losing in any way to the T1, it's just I guess sometimes I feel the Z1R can fumbles in busy environments where it's just messy, unintentional chaos, I feel on dynamics it can be a tad better on that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back