Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #7,831 of 9,535
I find, Z1R's are a headphone not to listen to and dissect, but a headphone to enjoy the music through and forget you are even wearing them, and yes this does take a while ( like focusing on those 3d murals folks had on their walls back in the day). Instead you hear the venue, the ambience, the feeling. I sit till the small hours just wanting to play more and more music with a MASSIVE grin on my face loving every second.
Don't focus, just listen
Exactly the same I think and I feel while I enjoy my Z7s (now on my head).

The Z7s are the only headphones that make me think in sell all my other headphones, and that's because I enjoy my music a lot through them (althought not all of the music genres I listen to) and this hobby for me is just about enjoyment.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #7,832 of 9,535
Exactly the same I think and I feel while I enjoy my Z7s (now on my head).

The Z7s are the only headphones that make me think in sell all my other headphones, and that's because I enjoy my music a lot through them (althought not all of the music genres I listen to) and this hobby for me is just about enjoyment.
I have an old battered pair of Z7's i use out and about and love the sound it gives

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #7,833 of 9,535
I find, Z1R's are a headphone not to listen to and dissect, but a headphone to enjoy the music through and forget you are even wearing them, and yes this does take a while ( like focusing on those 3d murals folks had on their walls back in the day). Instead you hear the venue, the ambience, the feeling. I sit till the small hours just wanting to play more and more music with a MASSIVE grin on my face loving every second.
Don't focus, just listen

The problem is many people in this hobby are in it to dissect the gear, and the sound. Music is a means to an end to them. The Z1R wasn't really designed for this - it's almost the 'antithesis' of 'audiophile', but of course with full audiophile quality if only you appreciate it for what it does and don't expect it to be a Utopia or Vérité.

Very well said, and I couldn't have expressed myself any better.

Indeed, the MDR-Z1R is not a tool that you'd use to identify the nuances of music at a micro-component level. Rather, the presentation of the Sony flagship is grand, lush, and mellifluous. If you're here to indulge in the music that you already love, the MDR-Z1R elevates your enjoyment to a higher level. However, if you're looking for something that's skewed toward an analytical perspective, or you require a tool with which you can easily dissect the various aspects and facets of a musical track, there are better options abound.

This is why I love my MDR-Z1R, really. It's something that makes listening to music... fun. :)

Enlightening, and I mean that sincerely. I’m so surprised after all of these years I never thought about it in this way. Constantly chasing after this magical reality of sorts. A glimpse into the artists creative idea.

The problem is, you’ll never know what every artist’s intentions were unless you listened to each song with exactly the equipment they used to master it…

Music is ultimately about enjoyment, yes there are people who find enjoyment looking for every single last piece of detail or every single error. Most, just want to tap there feet, bob there head and enjoy themselves. I’m looking at this hobby in a whole new way. A feeling, instead of a chase for “perfection”.

PS. I don’t care how good it sounds if it’s uncomfortable I’m not buying.

Feeling 1
Comfort 1A

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #7,834 of 9,535
Finally joined the club 😎
Happy New Year, Sonyfans!

2022_01 copy.jpg

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #7,835 of 9,535
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #7,836 of 9,535
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #7,837 of 9,535
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #7,840 of 9,535
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #7,841 of 9,535
Jan 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #7,842 of 9,535
Interested in getting a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. Anyone have any experience with the pairing? Would it be too warm? Will the high 11ohm single ended and 22ohm 4.4 balanced output impedances be too high for the Z1R?

I hear it’s a great pairing for my HD800S and looking for a powerful, feature rich, Dac/Amp combo with a 4.4 balanced input to conserve desk space.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #7,843 of 9,535
Finally joined the club 😎
Happy New Year, Sonyfans!

2022_01 copy.jpg
Well, it's hard to argue this point - Sony makes some really pretty stuff, especially products at the upper-end of the price scale (audio, laptops, TVs, etc.).

Nice photo, mate! Enjoy your Z1R twins! :)

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #7,844 of 9,535
Interested in getting a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. Anyone have any experience with the pairing? Would it be too warm? Will the high 11ohm single ended and 22ohm 4.4 balanced output impedances be too high for the Z1R?

I hear it’s a great pairing for my HD800S and looking for a powerful, feature rich, Dac/Amp combo with a 4.4 balanced input to conserve desk space.
I'm also interested in this combo, hopefully someone has it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back