Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 19, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #7,516 of 9,645
Z1R owners, I think I may order a pair from Amazon this week. Would you say replacing the factory cable is necessary? Also, can anyone compare the fit, comfort and clamp to the fostex TH-X00, TH-610 or TH-900?
I'm not using the stock cable, I never did, I had a Forza cable already when it came in, so I have no view on the stock cable. The fit is much better than the TH900 for me, which I thought was too loose on my head. It's light and the clamp force is just right. The one downside comfort wise of the Z1R is that it gets sweaty quite fast.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #7,517 of 9,645
I'm not using the stock cable, I never did, I had a Forza cable already when it came in, so I have no view on the stock cable. The fit is much better than the TH900 for me, which I thought was too loose on my head. It's light and the clamp force is just right. The one downside comfort wise of the Z1R is that it gets sweaty quite fast.
See, that’s interesting because I can wear mine for hours and it never causes me to sweat.. not even a bit. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever once “sweated” while wearing any of my headphones.. I normally keep my home around 72°f. Just for reference.. maybe that’s relevant here. I know some guys have wives who won’t let the thermostat go below 78° 😂.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #7,518 of 9,645
See, that’s interesting because I can wear mine for hours and it never causes me to sweat.. not even a bit. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever once “sweated” while wearing any of my headphones.. I normally keep my home around 72°f. Just for reference.. maybe that’s relevant here. I know some guys have wives who won’t let the thermostat go below 78° 😂.
I have a bunch of headphones, and the Z1R is the only one where I have this issue...🤷‍♂️ I have also seen others commenting on this, so I am not alone. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #7,520 of 9,645
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #7,522 of 9,645
If you search Gerelmex has done a comparative review of all the Dekoni pads for the Z1R in a seperate thread

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #7,523 of 9,645
Personally, I prefer the stock pads. Just wish they weren't so pricey. That being said, has anyone wore out an original pair of pads yet? Wonder how many hours they'll last.

Been listening more to the Z1R recently. Once my brain switches over to this tuning, so much just sounds right.

Especially piano. What. I'm enjoying tracks with piano so much with these right now. I recall a discussion with a pianist preferring how pianos sound with the Z1R compared to other TOTL.

I think it could be partially related to my ears having more sensitivity to upper mids which could make the piano a little too lively (and agitating) to my ears. Maybe the more laid back presentation of the Z1R is more conducive to my ears.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #7,524 of 9,645
Interested in getting a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. Anyone have any experience with the pairing? Would it be too warm? Will the high 11ohm single ended impedance be too high for the Z1R?

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #7,526 of 9,645
Any news about new the replacement? (or maybe this is the last model from sony)
I doubt it a new successor will come as theyre restructuring production and cloaing the Audio productfactory in malasya to merge it withthe TV factory

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #7,527 of 9,645
Any news about new the replacement? (or maybe this is the last model from sony)

I doubt it a new successor will come as theyre restructuring production and cloaing the Audio productfactory in malasya to merge it withthe TV factory

Yes, nothing wrong with the current model, in fact they are spectacular if you do take a chance a get a pair.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #7,528 of 9,645
I am considering buying the Z1R again, I bought them in late 2017 and held them for about nine months. Back then, I needed a few home appliances and the Z1R were sitting on my desk most of the time since I worked from the office. Now Things have changed due to Covid, and now I rarely leave the house, I loved the Z1R years ago, and the HD6xx lack depth and Bass hence why the Z1Rs are in my mind. Thinking of getting these in the coming weeks, can't wait. :)

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #7,530 of 9,645
I am considering buying the Z1R again, I bought them in late 2017 and held them for about nine months. Back then, I needed a few home appliances and the Z1R were sitting on my desk most of the time since I worked from the office. Now Things have changed due to Covid, and now I rarely leave the house, I loved the Z1R years ago, and the HD6xx lack depth and Bass hence why the Z1Rs are in my mind. Thinking of getting these in the coming weeks, can't wait. :)
I've got mine up for sale because I'm planning on eventually going for the VC. I can toss in my Esprit balanced cable ($200) as a freebie. Just shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back