Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #7,487 of 9,683
This is an insane thread, I have to get myself a pair
Yes, you should. I notice that you've referred to the Atticus as your favorite closed-back headphone. If you have yet to try the MDR-Z1R, you should give it a whirl. It has a signature that is reminiscent of the Atticus', but provides better technicalities with a more impressive low-end region. Bass has great texture, separation and slam. Treble is similarly better defined, with good articulation and control. It still retains a "darker" tone - as opposed to the prototypical neutral-bright headphone - but the MDR-Z1R doesn't sound overly smooth.

Try the Sony, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #7,488 of 9,683
Long time lurker here (and now first time poster :wink: ) I´ve recently bought the Sennheiser HD 820 as I need a closed back for when the family´s around and when listening in bed to not disturb the wife. I also got the HD 800S which I really like a lot. Now I´m thinking whether to also audition the Z1R in comparison to the HD 820.

I quite like the sound of the HD 820 but it´s overall SQ is quite a bit off the HD 800S. Soundstage is probably around 1/3 less and details and clarity feel reduced as well. Sound Isolation is quite good though (cant hear the wife and the kid anymore :p) I´m not a basshead by any means and do value soundstaging, separation and some kind of airiness. I´m using the HDV 820 amp (got it in a bundle and like it with the Sennheisers). Would the Z1R provide an update on the HD 820 or is it just more of the same with possibly a lot more bass (which I dont mind but dont really need).

I´m listening to mostly songwriter, americana, indie, 80s/90s rock/pop. On the playlist right now: Timesbold, Josh Ritter, Hope Sandoval, Nick Cave (all amazing on the HD 800S, a bit less so on the HD 820).

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Looking forward to becoming a part of this amazing community! Already feeling the headfi obsession... :p

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #7,489 of 9,683
Long time lurker here (and now first time poster :wink: ) I´ve recently bought the Sennheiser HD 820 as I need a closed back for when the family´s around and when listening in bed to not disturb the wife. I also got the HD 800S which I really like a lot. Now I´m thinking whether to also audition the Z1R in comparison to the HD 820.

I quite like the sound of the HD 820 but it´s overall SQ is quite a bit off the HD 800S. Soundstage is probably around 1/3 less and details and clarity feel reduced as well. Sound Isolation is quite good though (cant hear the wife and the kid anymore :p) I´m not a basshead by any means and do value soundstaging, separation and some kind of airiness. I´m using the HDV 820 amp (got it in a bundle and like it with the Sennheisers). Would the Z1R provide an update on the HD 820 or is it just more of the same with possibly a lot more bass (which I dont mind but dont really need).

I´m listening to mostly songwriter, americana, indie, 80s/90s rock/pop. On the playlist right now: Timesbold, Josh Ritter, Hope Sandoval, Nick Cave (all amazing on the HD 800S, a bit less so on the HD 820).

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Looking forward to becoming a part of this amazing community! Already feeling the headfi obsession... :p

Cheers
Welcome! I just listened to the Z1R tonight. Depending on the music it really is quite bassy and it might be too much of a good thing if you're used to the HD800S, which is notoriously bass light. I don't know the 820, maybe someone else can comment on that.

I think I'd look into other options first. Top closed backs include the ZMF Verite Closed, Kennerton Rognir, the new DCA Stealth maybe, Audeze LCD-XC, but that one is heavy. Or a Focal closed back.

Aug 30, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #7,490 of 9,683
Welcome! I just listened to the Z1R tonight. Depending on the music it really is quite bassy and it might be too much of a good thing if you're used to the HD800S, which is notoriously bass light. I don't know the 820, maybe someone else can comment on that.

I think I'd look into other options first. Top closed backs include the ZMF Verite Closed, Kennerton Rognir, the new DCA Stealth maybe, Audeze LCD-XC, but that one is heavy. Or a Focal closed back.

Normally for a first time listener you would need to “demo” the MDR-Z1R for about 1 or 2 days for your mind to adjust to the sound. Even though your normally used to different bass, there is a chance you could acclimate? They sound very neutral to me?

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7,491 of 9,683
Normally for a first time listener you would need to “demo” the MDR-Z1R for about 1 or 2 days for your mind to adjust to the sound. Even though your normally used to different bass, there is a chance you could acclimate? They sound very neutral to me?
Are you talking to me? I’ve had it for about a year haha. To be clear, I think it is a great headphone, I am not criticizing it. I am just worried that it might be too bassy for someone coming from the HD800s.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #7,492 of 9,683
Got ya, haha,
Glad you acclimated. But yes, some may have trouble! I’m a little slow this AM?
Are you talking to me? I’ve had it for about a year haha. To be clear, I think it is a great headphone, I am not criticizing it. I am just worried that it might be too bassy for someone coming from the HD800s.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #7,493 of 9,683
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #7,494 of 9,683

Thanks for your feedback! I must say I don´t really find the bass too light on the HD800S. Did a comparison yesterday with "six blade knife" from Dire Straits, "Get Lucky" from DaftPunks/Pharrell Williams and "Why so serious" from Hans Zimmer. While the bass on the HD 820 certainly extends a bit deeper and has a bit more texture and punch to it I found the HD 800S´s to be a bit more detailed. It even has subbass as can be heard on that Hans Zimmer track.

I´ve got the ZMF VC on my radar, the Kennerton I didn´t know until now and the Stealth does indeed look nice but isn´´t available in Europe yet and also quite expensive...Next to the Z1R I also have the BD T5 and AH 9200 on my list. As I mentioned in my first post the circumstances in which I would use the Closed back are quite specific. During most of my time I will use the HD 800S. That´s why I´m contemplating if I´m set for the now with the 820 or if the Sony or something else would offer a distinct advantage or just a distinct different listening experience while not straying too far from the feel of the 800S.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #7,497 of 9,683
Aug 31, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7,498 of 9,683
No.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #7,499 of 9,683
I have not listened to my Z1R's in ages as my Utopia and Stax headphones are my main drivers. I am finishing a demo of a new tube amp and have had a play with the Z1R for the past two days
WOW!
I said
WOW!!

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #7,500 of 9,683
The Z1R is a timeless headphone for me. I have an HD800S, Focal Clear, Arya, and Mr. Speaker Ether Flow (as well an Ether 2 that I recently sold). The Z1R is so unique that its sound signature just stands on its own. There's no headphone that can really "displace" it because it is like its own unique flavor that's unlike anything else in my stable. They are so technically impressive, open sounding, and have this concoction of sound that's hard to believe comes from a closed-back (one that's easy to drive nonetheless). Anyone who is thinking about getting an MDR-Z1R .. if you're on the fence.. you should really give it a try. Definitely let your ears/brain burn-in as well once you have it. It might take you a bit of time as others on here have stated. The Z1R at least for me, is one headphone I will NEVER part with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back