Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #7,501 of 9,690
The Z1R is a timeless headphone for me. I have an HD800S, Focal Clear, Arya, and Mr. Speaker Ether Flow (as well an Ether 2 that I recently sold). The Z1R is so unique that its sound signature just stands on its own. There's no headphone that can really "displace" it because it is like its own unique flavor that's unlike anything else in my stable. They are so technically impressive, open sounding, and have this concoction of sound that's hard to believe comes from a closed-back (one that's easy to drive nonetheless). Anyone who is thinking about getting an MDR-Z1R .. if you're on the fence.. you should really give it a try. Definitely let your ears/brain burn-in as well once you have it. It might take you a bit of time as others on here have stated. The Z1R at least for me, is one headphone I will NEVER part with.
Post like these keep teasing me into finally giving in to it.. Ordered the Denon AH D9200 today to demo it on the weekend but I got a feeling the Z1R will follow soon thereafter. Been listening to
Paradise Circus
Massive Attack - Heligoland (Bonus Edition) on my HD 820 all day and I think this is a perfect track for the Z1R too.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #7,502 of 9,690
I'm hoping that I don't derail the flow of this thread with this question, but it's a Sony, so it's tangentially related, I hope... But, I'm looking forward to your impressions on the Xperia 1 iii. I've held off on an upgrade from my Note 20 for a few months now; none of the new phones on the market have any broad appeal, save the flagship Xperia. :)
I have now posted my review on Amazon if you're interested in reading it. There are still a few typos being worked out in their editing process. I can do some Z1R listening tonight via the 3.5mm jack, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #7,503 of 9,690
In the nearly 5 years I’ve now had mine, the only other headphone I’m lusting after trying is the Kennerton Gjallarhorn that is very difficault to get to audition. Other than that I’ve had no inclination to try anything else (it has to be propper closed)

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #7,504 of 9,690
Post like these keep teasing me into finally giving in to it.. Ordered the Denon AH D9200 today to demo it on the weekend but I got a feeling the Z1R will follow soon thereafter. Been listening to
Paradise Circus
Massive Attack - Heligoland (Bonus Edition) on my HD 820 all day and I think this is a perfect track for the Z1R too.
As someone who had the Z1R and made the switch to AH-D9200, here are some differences:

Z1R:
More bass
Wider soundstage (pretty great)
Smooth vocals - this can be a bad thing for some songs
Potentially higher comfort? But annoying thing is that the Z1R can get hot + sweaty whereas the Denon doesn't as much.

D9200:
Better bass quality
Better imaging
Better mids (not as recessed)
More clarity

Given that you love the HD800S, I think you'll really like the D9200. That being said, if you want a super fun headphone that's out of your comfort zone and has a unique flavour, give the Z1R a try.

The reason I switched was because I'm a minimalist and don't want multiple TOTL headphones. As a one headphone solution, the Z1R is lacking. It adds too much flavour to every single song. For my purposes, the Denon AH-D9200 was perfect. Great bass + the clarity I wanted.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #7,505 of 9,690
The Z1R is a timeless headphone for me. I have an HD800S, Focal Clear, Arya, and Mr. Speaker Ether Flow (as well an Ether 2 that I recently sold). The Z1R is so unique that its sound signature just stands on its own. There's no headphone that can really "displace" it because it is like its own unique flavor that's unlike anything else in my stable. They are so technically impressive, open sounding, and have this concoction of sound that's hard to believe comes from a closed-back (one that's easy to drive nonetheless). Anyone who is thinking about getting an MDR-Z1R .. if you're on the fence.. you should really give it a try. Definitely let your ears/brain burn-in as well once you have it. It might take you a bit of time as others on here have stated. The Z1R at least for me, is one headphone I will NEVER part with.

I have similar thoughts regarding the Z7M2. :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #7,506 of 9,690
As someone who had the Z1R and made the switch to AH-D9200, here are some differences:

Z1R:
More bass
Wider soundstage (pretty great)
Smooth vocals - this can be a bad thing for some songs
Potentially higher comfort? But annoying thing is that the Z1R can get hot + sweaty whereas the Denon doesn't as much.

D9200:
Better bass quality
Better imaging
Better mids (not as recessed)
More clarity

Given that you love the HD800S, I think you'll really like the D9200. That being said, if you want a super fun headphone that's out of your comfort zone and has a unique flavour, give the Z1R a try.

The reason I switched was because I'm a minimalist and don't want multiple TOTL headphones. As a one headphone solution, the Z1R is lacking. It adds too much flavour to every single song. For my purposes, the Denon AH-D9200 was perfect. Great bass + the clarity I wanted.
Thanks for your impression regarding both HP! You pretty much summed up what I was reading up on both of these through various threads here and why I went with the AH-D9200 first. The unique soundsignature of the Sony still allures me but the price difference in Germany between the two is quite big (500€) and I remember reading somewhere that Sony stopped producing the signature series... Not sure if true but will probably not help in getting the Z1R cheaper anytime soon unless I go the used route.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #7,507 of 9,690
Thanks for your impression regarding both HP! You pretty much summed up what I was reading up on both of these through various threads here and why I went with the AH-D9200 first. The unique soundsignature of the Sony still allures me but the price difference in Germany between the two is quite big (500€) and I remember reading somewhere that Sony stopped producing the signature series... Not sure if true but will probably not help in getting the Z1R cheaper anytime soon unless I go the used route.
I got mine used but paud like new because mexicab custims put some exhorbitant import fees

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #7,508 of 9,690
I got mine used but paud like new because mexicab custims put some exhorbitant import fees
Yeah that's the problem. Its listed new on eBay for 1500€ but then I'd have to add import VATS and fees and it becomes more expensive than just buying it new in Europe.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #7,509 of 9,690
Maybe buyee or similar japanese sites can give a better deal? There is one used listed for just over 1000 USD. Also Black Friday coming up if you are willing to wait.
I hate that i didn't learn about the mdr-z1r earlier because it has been on sale for less than half of retail at one point.. i ended up paying more than that for a used pair.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #7,510 of 9,690
I dont know if accesory Jack offers the MDR-Z1R . But i got seceral sony stuff and i asked Johny to declare a lesser value n ver had an issue. Even now living here in Germany. I got IER-Z1R and IER-M7 (on separate occassions) and again asked for 200€ declared value and only ended payong 38€ Fedex service fee but not import VAT

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #7,511 of 9,690
Maybe buyee or similar japanese sites can give a better deal? There is one used listed for just over 1000 USD. Also Black Friday coming up if you are willing to wait.
I hate that i didn't learn about the mdr-z1r earlier because it has been on sale for less than half of retail at one point.. i ended up paying more than that for a used pair.
I feel you. Will definitely demo the z1R and if I like them maybe will till black Friday in hopes of a decent discount. 2k for a totl closed back borders on what I'd be willing to pay but as I would only use them secondary to my hd800S I'd rather pay less.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #7,512 of 9,690
I dont know if accesory Jack offers the MDR-Z1R . But i got seceral sony stuff and i asked Johny to declare a lesser value n ver had an issue. Even now living here in Germany. I got IER-Z1R and IER-M7 (on separate occassions) and again asked for 200€ declared value and only ended payong 38€ Fedex service fee but not import VAT
If he'd be willing to that it would be great. Thanks for the info!

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #7,513 of 9,690
If he'd be willing to that it would be great. Thanks for the info!
I got from Accessory jack pretty good prices even the “free shipping ” was fast.

IER-Z1R —-> paid 1.700€ (retails dor 2200€)
IER-M7 —> pqid 525€ (retails for 800€)

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #7,514 of 9,690
Z1R owners, I think I may order a pair from Amazon this week. Would you say replacing the factory cable is necessary? Also, can anyone compare the fit, comfort and clamp to the fostex TH-X00, TH-610 or TH-900?

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #7,515 of 9,690
Z1R owners, I think I may order a pair from Amazon this week. Would you say replacing the factory cable is necessary? Also, can anyone compare the fit, comfort and clamp to the fostex TH-X00, TH-610 or TH-900?
The included cables with the Z1R are fine, no need to replace unless you want something shorter (they are pretty long), or a termination like 2.5mm or 4pin xlr (3.5, 1/4” and 4.4 are included). Otherwise, they are quality cables and sound perfectly fine.

I’ve only briefly auditioned the x00 but comfort wise, the Z1R is simply flawless. It is one of the most comfortable headphones (and well built) you’ll ever wear. Sound wise.. I think they even surpass the TH900 despite how much I love the 900.. the Z1R just has a purely intoxicating sound that will often times make you forget that it’s even a closed back.

GL mate, I highly recommend the Z1R at least for an audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back