Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 24, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #6,856 of 9,652
My Jot2 I ordered last week will be here early next week so I'm very much looking forward to hearing how my good ol' Z1R sounds with it. I have a feeling that paired with my iFi Neo it's going to sound really good because the balanced natural sound of the Neo and the warmth and power of the Jot2 will play well together.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #6,857 of 9,652
I'm curious how most Z1R owners came into the Z1R in the first place.

TBH, I don't hear the Z1R mentioned often when the headphone community discusses TOTL cans.

Actually, I only decided to pull the trigger sound unheard after doing some targeted research. And, even then, there were a lot more mixed feelings than most other TOTL cans I've come across. It's interesting to me because every time I put them on my head, I'm just impressed with the musical experience. No headphone is perfect, but this one just does the big things right to me.

Yet, it's interesting how Sony is referred to as "basic" in the community despite the existence of the Z1R. I wonder if many are just simply unaware... Or maybe the sound signature just works with only a specific subset of people. :p

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #6,860 of 9,652
I read about it and it was described as having strong bass, which piqued my interest as I was looking to add a bass heavy headphone to the stable. Of course, they are much more than just bass cannons. I really like them. :)

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6,861 of 9,652

TBH, I don't hear the Z1R mentioned often when the headphone community discusses TOTL cans.

Actually, I only decided to pull the trigger sound unheard after doing some targeted research. And, even then, there were a lot more mixed feelings than most other TOTL cans I've come across. It's interesting to me because every time I put them on my head, I'm just impressed with the musical experience. No headphone is perfect, but this one just does the big things right to me.

Yet, it's interesting how Sony is referred to as "basic" in the community despite the existence of the Z1R. I wonder if many are just simply unaware... Or maybe the sound signature just works with only a specific subset of people. :p
Started out with the Sony MDR-Z7's and really liked their sound. Sold them and upgraded to the Z1R's and it was an improvement on everything the Z7's did. After listening to a mulitude of other closed headphones the Z1R's still remain #1 in that category to my ears. The Z1R's are just a comfortable and musical headphone unlike anything else on the market.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #6,863 of 9,652
Just ordered a pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads🤞
Let us know how it sounds. I am also looking to buy a pair of aftermarket pads as a back up

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,864 of 9,652
Let us know how it sounds. I am also looking to buy a pair of aftermarket pads as a back up
@gerelmx1986 did a review of all the Dekoni pads some months ago. I’m using a pair from China that I bought on eBay

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #6,865 of 9,652
I wasn't a fan of the Dekoni hybrids. Changes the signature too much and noticed a lot more sssssilibance. Could be tamed with darker gear tho. Since my chain is just slightly warm over neutral, I prefer to stick closer to the stock Z1R signature.

Dekoni was awesome enough to let me exchange with the lambskins, which are actually quite close to stock in sonics.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #6,866 of 9,652

In my case, it was through the Z7. The Z1R it's a very refined leap from the Z7. I still got both, but having the Z1R with the WM1A on DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) cured my upgraditis.

There's something about the Sony bass that i can't find elsewhere. I'm glad the Z1R is under the radar too, that made prices and availability resonable after all this years.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #6,869 of 9,652
I had the Z7 along with the TA amp. A Walkman and a Naim Muso that I bought at Crutchfield were starting to malfunction so I returned them for store credit, which was a little over $2000. I read a few reviews of the Z1R and bought them as an open box for a little over $1800. No regrets at all. Those have been my more or less analytical cans for testing other audio gear. Very reliable and a pleasure to listen daily.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #6,870 of 9,652

I had the Z7 but was motivated to upgrade to Z1R for build quality and fit/finish. I expected a marginal upgrade in sound quality, which was the case (the bass is tighter, the highs a bit more revealing). But the physical quality is better across the board. I like the easily replaceable real leather pads, the leather storage box, the sturdier metal.

I think it would be better if the Z1R were, say, 1200 MSRP compared to the Z7's 700 MSRP. I think that better reflects the level of upgrade. But I paid retail on Amazon anyway, so I guess the pricing still worked.

As far as sound signature goes, Sony's premium cans deliver "richness" to me. I don't want bass-light analytical sound. I want bass rich sound that still delivers high detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back