Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 16, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #6,841 of 9,746
I wouldnt use the stock cable, period. I am using my LG V60 using UAPP with a Gothic Audio all silver USB C- micro into the Walkman input. Volume set to 50% in the app, it would destroy my hearing above -20db on the TA. Norne Audio silver Draug hp cable, which when i purchased, the first thing o initially noticed was i had to lower the volume compared to stock.
I have emailed Trevor @Norne about an adapter but im not sure if that's possible on a single end cable with a 1/4" jack?
yea it is not possible to use an adapter to make SE cable balanced.

I don't know the technical term here, it is like a phone could make z1r loud enough, but clearly phone doesn't sound good. Same thing with the balance on TA.
And from my understanding amp power has more things to do rather than just higher volume. Anyway, if you got stock 4.4 cable why dont give it a try:)

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #6,844 of 9,746
No, 6.3mm /1/4" single end for my Sugden and Burson amps. When work resumes, i may get Trevor to make me a shorter balanced cable.
Or you could get it reterminated to 4.4 and get a female 4.4 to male 1/4” adapter

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #6,848 of 9,746
I'm glad the Zynsonix cable I had made for my Arya works with all my 3.5mm headphones including the Z1R and Sundaes. A few of them came with 3 conductors plugs and the cable I have has 2 conductors but still works fine with all of them.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #6,849 of 9,746
I'm glad the Zynsonix cable I had made for my Arya works with all my 3.5mm headphones including the Z1R and Sundaes. A few of them came with 3 conductors plugs and the cable I have has 2 conductors but still works fine with all of them.
Are yours SE or balanced cable? I believe this is something related to balanced output(not sure tho).

My Sundara stock SE cable don't work for Z1R either, so I am not sure why.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #6,850 of 9,746
Are yours SE or balanced cable? I believe this is something related to balanced output(not sure tho).

There should be no difference at the headphone end of the cable between single ended and balanced

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #6,851 of 9,746

It's terminated in 4-pin XLR.

I haven't tried using the Sundara cable on them but I have used the HP-3 cable and it works fine, it's also a 2 conductor plug like my Zynsonix cable.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #6,853 of 9,746
That’s an interesting looking cable coming out of the Walkman port on the side. Can I ask what it is?
A custom made micro usb cable. The WM port on the side is a standard micro usb plug plus an extra part for power

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #6,854 of 9,746
That’s an interesting looking cable coming out of the Walkman port on the side. Can I ask what it is?
Hi, of course you may ask my friend. It's a Gothic Audio all silver USB C - micro USB. It's great for playing my LG V60 phone into it.Flac upscales to 384/ 32 bit. Sounds so nice. Been playing with my PC today and connected up with a Gothic Audio all silver 'Separator' dual USB A to USB B, one plug carries ground and data+ and data- , the other carries power only. Not a company o have used before but he handbuilds in the UK so i shopped local. Do far very pleased, although ive only used the TA for less than a week but simply love it so far !

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #6,855 of 9,746
Hi, of course you may ask my friend. It's a Gothic Audio all silver USB C - micro USB. It's great for playing my LG V60 phone into it.Flac upscales to 384/ 32 bit. Sounds so nice. Been playing with my PC today and connected up with a Gothic Audio all silver 'Separator' dual USB A to USB B, one plug carries ground and data+ and data- , the other carries power only. Not a company o have used before but he handbuilds in the UK so i shopped local. Do far very pleased, although ive only used the TA for less than a week but simply love it so far !
It’s a fun amp to be sure; very versatile with plenty of inputs and outputs. That sound definitely grows on you until you come across something even better. However, to best that you need to spend significantly more. I’m trading mine in for a Chord Dave in a month or so when it finally gets here. Although the Sony amp has been great these last 3 years, Dave just sounded positively addictive on most tracks that I played through it, particularly the more complex orchestral pieces. I’m still keeping the Z1R though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back