Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #616 of 9,633
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #618 of 9,633
The Z1Rs can sound airy. I won't urge for an agreement on this, but IMO the highs of Z1Rs are worth the effort of Sony to invent their pure-magnesium dome for these cans. The extension is very high. Rolling off a little bit doesn't necessarily leads to loss of details. They're just not that evident.

airy isn't a descriptor that i associate with the z1r's presentation

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #619 of 9,633
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #621 of 9,633
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #622 of 9,633
You find it in Jude's post on the front page. He has some graphs up.

Thanks. Looks like something I can try to replicate in Roon....

I have a problem with a review, when the real leather of th cushions is considered as pleather. Can't he simply read what's in the manual? It's the Z7 which has pleather. It is easy to discern, I have both cans.

Yeah the pads on the Z1R don't feel like pleather at all. I have Ultrasone Edition 8 and Denon D7200 here and they both claim to use sheep skin leather. Now all there feels very similar to me, so when Sony said Z1R also uses sheep skin I'm going to believe them.

I also have the Beyer T1 of which the headband is leatherette (ie fake leather), now THOSE feels different.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #624 of 9,633
I have a problem with a review, when the real leather of th cushions is considered as pleather. Can't he simply read what's in the manual? It's the Z7 which has pleather. It is easy to discern, I have both cans.

what he actually wrote is that he disliked the sheepskin used in the ear pads because it felt and smelt exactly like synthetic leather to him

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #625 of 9,633
what he actually wrote is that he disliked the sheepskin used in the ear pads because it felt and smelt exactly like synthetic leather to him

Actually that is what he has changed it to if you read the comments at the end of the review

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #626 of 9,633
All Z1r owners can from now on use the Schiit Loki equalizer if they need more detail in the treble. And before anyone disses this device or the usage of it, relax and read about the device on headfi.
Thx for mentioning this...I rarely look at the home page. A habit I should break.

Bern

edit-ordered one.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #627 of 9,633
I'm currently using my Z1R with the Hugo 2 and it's fantastic with all sorts of music genres and both to good and poorly mastered music too, ultimately it's really easy on the ears. The detail retrieval ability of the H2 balances out the liquid and warm Z1R at just the right amount IMO.

I think Mojo is not a good pairing with the Z1R, the combo together is too warmth and you lose too much detail as both piece of equipment tilts towards warm/smooth sound signature.

+1 Great synergy. I was blown away demoing the H2/Z1R combo after being really disappointed with how lean the HD 800 S sounded with Hugo 2. The neutrality and precision of H2 is a perfect combo with Z1R, which still delivers that great bass impact.

So funny, I was reading @nanaholic s post about the synergy between the Z1R and Hugo 2 and was going to say that I heard someone else say that recently... You beat me to it!

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #628 of 9,633
These are comfy, sexy headphones. How do they sound to me?

Uneven.

They're choc full of bass...and lower midrange. Mid to treble transition sounds fairly v-shaped. The sibilance these things produce is inescapable, unnatural. Cymbals lack body, they just kind of...hiss and ring. I noticed faults a little less while listening to classical and jazz, but once electric guitars and vocals kick in in rock and pop it's pretty obvious where these things could use some tweaking.

Comparing them to other closed cans reveal stark differences to me. Audioquest NightOwl Carbon is much more neutral and natural sounding, though still a bit v-shaped in the mid-treble transition. B&W P7 is more natural sounding with less bass emphasis and a better bass-mid transition. These are more open and natural sounding between 1-7khz than the Z1R. Sibilance isn't as piercing as the Sony. These are slightly shouty though, soundstage isn't great. B&W P9 has similar boosted bass and lower mids, possibly these are a bit boomier. Kinda mushy sounding to me compared to the Z1R, but they don't have the sibilance javelin of death.

Ultimately I think the NightOwl Carbon beats these handily at every turn, and they are pretty comfy. There is less coloration inbetween the recording and your ears with them. The Z1R isn't at all neutral or natural sounding, but I guess not everyone is looking for that.

Comparo rigs:
Sony ZH1ES+WM1Z
Naim V1+Tidal

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #629 of 9,633
I think if you start to compare the Z1R to some of the current hp's on its technicalities, you will not be happy. You will want to return or sell them.
Whenever I get that feeling, I listen to lady gaga. Love her! They sound much better than anything I own... my Utopias, Ether Flows, KSE, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back