Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #586 of 9,535
Yes, my TH900s now sound too edgy, and I'm entirely happy with the Z1Rs especially after (and I hate to admit such extravagance) adding the Axios (copper) cable between the Z1Rs and Mytek Brooklyn. I still have an itch to play with an amp, but I know this is just an audiophile sickness and unjustified by any reasonable expectation of improved sound. I love the sound I get now.
I agree with you. I should be happy with my setup and the headphones I have. The Pro iCan is a tweakers dream amp. It lets me add bass and soundstage to any headphone. But why do I "feel" like there is a little bit more sound quality to had. I'm really trying to resist getting the Axios cable because the Z1R's sound so good already. This upgrade bug is so maddening!

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #587 of 9,535
Yes, my TH900s now sound too edgy, and I'm entirely happy with the Z1Rs especially after (and I hate to admit such extravagance) adding the Axios (copper) cable between the Z1Rs and Mytek Brooklyn. I still have an itch to play with an amp, but I know this is just an audiophile sickness and unjustified by any reasonable expectation of improved sound. I love the sound I get now.
If you ever want to get down with the sickness, check out the TA-ZH1ES combo with the Z1R.... Silly goose in my opinion. (the pun earlier was intentional btw gang :) )

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #588 of 9,535
Correct me if I am wrong but this sounds condescending. Basically if you like the Z1R you have no idea how to listen analytically to headphones or you are in denial because you dropped a lot of coin on them. Or am I just overreacting? Either way I am unsubscribing.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/approaching-neutral

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #589 of 9,535
So, of a few people say "bloated bass", and it's a total loss? But the people who say it's a great compliment to their Stax setups don't have a similarly strong voice?!
The Z7 thread has an owner of a Stax 07 setup, and loves his Sony's.
Enjoy your gear, and remember to take reviews with a grain of salt :0)

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #590 of 9,535
Sep 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #591 of 9,535
if we have like 20 different measurements on a headphone from different people basing on a vast variety of equipment then we may be analytical only with the graphs. otherwise the measurements are merely references.

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #592 of 9,535
Correct me if I am wrong but this sounds condescending. Basically if you like the Z1R you have no idea how to listen analytically to headphones or you are in denial because you dropped a lot of coin on them. Or am I just overreacting? Either way I am unsubscribing.

That’s essentially what he seems to imply sadly. Sadly he’s alienated himself more and more over the years with some of his controversial and strong opinions which have honestly been getting more unabashed over the years.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #593 of 9,535
Wow I read this wrong at first- I was thinking "Geez what is up @nordkapp 's butt...." then I realized he was talking about Tyll HA.

I actually read that last night. This is what Tyll says at the end and then my take away
  • "Develop your analytical listening skills so you can identify peaks and valleys in response and have a sense of their magnitude. If you identify significantly colored response and still like it, consider the possibility that you're fooling yourself. Dig deeper, listen to a variety of music, listen to both good and bad recordings, you'll likely come to hear the coloration for the flaw that it is...and then you'll not be able to un-hear it as flawed. This is learning. The process is not necessarily comfortable, but you'll end up with more deeply satisfying headphones."
This parallels and reminds me of the art that I enjoy and don't enjoy.

Tons of people like Thomas Kinkade and I don't. Its a nice painting at the end of the day and I can "feel good" from it, but I consider it MASS produced "feel good" art... (He does create phenomenal lighting though!)

I love Monet paintings. They are not 100% painted accurately like a photograph but It is still beautiful to me.

I also love "Hand with reflecting sphere" by M.C. Escher for how accurate it is.

I can go on and on (everyone is like, "where are you going with this...")

In regards to what Tyll said- I feel like I have a decent understanding of "neutral sound". That doesn't mean that I don't get tired of it... I do tons of analyzing with headphones and I do a ton of enjoyment listening as well. Maybe I am not a connoisseur of headphones enough to let the "neutral" imperfections of the Z1R affect me. I still enjoy them with a ton of genres, for what they are trying to do. If painting a an exact replica of a headphone is your cup of tea, then knock your self out. But that doesn't mean I enjoy looking at that ALL the time.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #594 of 9,535
Wow I read this wrong at first- I was thinking "Geez what is up @nordkapp 's butt...." then I realized he was talking about Tyll HA.

I actually read that last night. This is what Tyll says at the end and then my take away
  • "Develop your analytical listening skills so you can identify peaks and valleys in response and have a sense of their magnitude. If you identify significantly colored response and still like it, consider the possibility that you're fooling yourself. Dig deeper, listen to a variety of music, listen to both good and bad recordings, you'll likely come to hear the coloration for the flaw that it is...and then you'll not be able to un-hear it as flawed. This is learning. The process is not necessarily comfortable, but you'll end up with more deeply satisfying headphones."

Tons of people like Thomas Kinkade and I don't. Its a nice painting at the end of the day and I can "feel good" from it, but I consider it MASS produced "feel good" art... (He does create phenomenal lighting though!)

I love Monet paintings. They are not 100% painted accurately like a photograph but It is still beautiful to me.

I also love "Hand with reflecting sphere" by M.C. Escher for how accurate it is.

In regards to what Tyll said- I feel like I have a decent understanding of "neutral sound". That doesn't mean that I don't get tired of it... I do tons of analyzing with headphones and I do a ton of enjoyment listening as well. Maybe I am not a connoisseur of headphones enough to let the "neutral" imperfections of the Z1R affect me. I still enjoy them with a ton of genres, for what they are trying to do. If painting a an exact replica of a headphone is your cup of tea, then knock your self out. But that doesn't mean I enjoy looking at that ALL the time.
Exactly.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #595 of 9,535

I agree. I own the SR-009, Utopia and the Z1R among others. First I don't think a perfect headphone exist and even if a perfect measured headphone existed when you listen to it you are adding another set of variables like you capacity of hearing and your taste, so does it matter if it is measurably perfect? Not to me.... what it matter to me is how it sound to me and how I enjoy them, the rest who cares.....

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #596 of 9,535
My humble opinion: I think ~£2K isn't enough money to get quite as pretentious about headphones as seems to happen with some reviewers. They're still just semi-disposable tech, nothing to get one's knickers in a twist over.

I think that's more healthy thinking, and leaves room to just enjoy the damn things. Or not, if you don't like them. Either way.

My current opinion on the Z1R is that it's absolutely fantastic for rock, also excellent for electronic music, and at the very least good enough for other genres. I have a lot of supposedly the best classical and jazz recordings in my collection, but being honest - I don't listen to them often enough to be a priority. I can't imagine much better headphones at the moment for what I listen to most of the time.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #597 of 9,535
Hi, pretty new to all of this, Own the Utopia's and really love them, the clears as well and they are up for sale. The biggest issue withe the Focal's, also their strength is the open principle. I can really listen in private with them. So i always go back to my McIntosh MPH1000 or my B&W P9 when I want to have some privacy, now to my ears, the Mac has too little bass and the P9 too much... I like to listen to all types of music, but mainly electronic. I'm not into the analytics, just want a good sound (read: fun). I have briefly listened to the Z1R, but don't know what to think of them, does anyone here have some comments on comparing them to the MC and the P9? Utopia, for me is out of reach!
I currently combine them with a Mojo, but planning on pulling the plug for a Hugo TT or Hugo 2, after I get a chance to listen to the Hugo 2.
thanks a lot! Bart

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #598 of 9,535
Hi Bart,
I own the Utopia, MHP1000 and the Z1R among others but don't own or ever listened to the P9. My personal 4 favorites in my collection depending the music type I will listen to or my mood are the Utopia, HE1000 v1 (with v2 pads), Z1R and SR-009. All my dynamic or electromagnetic headphones have aftermarket cables. In the case of the Z1R IMO they benefit from a good silver cable. I use the WireWorld Platimum Nano Eclipse. IMO it opens up the top end and tightens the bass without reducing it. Before the Z1R the MHP1000 was my favorite closed headphones but since I bought the Z1R they went down to second place. Another cables that I use with them are the Dana Lazuli Reference (all copper) and the Nordost Heimdall 2. Both are excellent with them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #600 of 9,535
I agree. I own the SR-009, Utopia and the Z1R among others. First I don't think a perfect headphone exist and even if a perfect measured headphone existed when you listen to it you are adding another set of variables like you capacity of hearing and your taste, so does it matter if it is measurably perfect? Not to me.... what it matter to me is how it sound to me and how I enjoy them, the rest who cares.....

very well said, and totally agree FWIW.
I also own Utopia, HEK v2 (and v1), HE6, Z1R and D7200, and I cannot care less about measurement or what others are saying. only thing important to me is how they sound to my own ears. and yes, I do find Z1R lacking details and resolution, so cannot be listened to "analytically"... so what? they are perfect when I want to listen to some electronic music :) same as Utopia are perfect for acoustic jazz
I just pick up the cans that resonate better in that specific moment with my mood and my music, and I'm an happy man :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back