Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #601 of 9,633
The Sony headphone engineers always talk about their tech: material, construction, etc. during interviews and for every generation of their flagship models there are breakthroughs in design; also they rarely gives so-called 'V2' refinements. So I don't think it fair enough to treat Sony flagships as models only for EDM or having relative poor performance in their peer; it's just not the case. Rather than stay comfort listening or pretend to be 'analytical' basing on some improper measurements or equipment, I would like to 'discover' this Z1R phone, trying to realize the sound as it is engineered.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #602 of 9,633
The Sony headphone engineers always talk about their tech: material, construction, etc. during interviews and for every generation of their flagship models there are breakthroughs in design; also they rarely gives so-called 'V2' refinements. So I don't think it fair enough to treat Sony flagships as models only for EDM or having relative poor performance in their peer; it's just not the case. Rather than stay comfort listening or pretend to be 'analytical' basing on some improper measurements or equipment, I would like to 'discover' this Z1R phone, trying to realize the sound as it is engineered.

Again, the standards of “neutrality, analytical, naturalness....etc...” are null and void....there are Zero standards for these. Everybody who is into this Music hobby should know that the ultimate goal for “reproduction of sounds” is to “mimic the realism”, but it is impossible, because there are infinite varieties of sound being produced in reality. So these products can only do something right and not all....there is no perfection....the universe exist due to imperfection

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #603 of 9,633
Again, the standards of “neutrality, analytical, naturalness....etc...” are null and void....there are Zero standards for these. Everybody who is into this Music hobby should know that the ultimate goal for “reproduction of sounds” is to “mimic the realism”, but it is impossible, because there are infinite varieties of sound being produced in reality. So these products can only do something right and not all....there is no perfection....the universe exist due to imperfection
The ultimate thing doesn't ever exist but there're often something to dig inside a model, especially those TOTL and (maybe) Japanese ones:relieved: (Z1R, SE-M1, SR-009, TH900, etc.). I actually find interest in this, finding out how some cans may really sound like, instead of how they generally do.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #604 of 9,633
The ultimate thing doesn't ever exist but there're often something to dig inside a model, especially those TOTL and (maybe) Japanese ones:relieved: (Z1R, SE-M1, SR-009, TH900, etc.). I actually find interest in this, finding out how some cans may really sound like, instead of how they generally do.

Totally agree, finding what they can do and what the engineers are trying to do is much better than just analyzing the product itself. After all, if you tried to understand it and it doesn’t fit your taste, you can always move on :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #605 of 9,633
@musicman59, what amp are you using? This weekend I had another listen to the MDR’s with the Mojo, my taste still prefers the Macs. I must however admit that with EDM they really rock the boat!
I am mainly using the MHA100 or the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP. My source is an Aurender N100H (4TB) going into a Bricasti M1 SE DAC.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #606 of 9,633
I currently combine them with a Mojo, but planning on pulling the plug for a Hugo TT or Hugo 2, after I get a chance to listen to the Hugo 2.

I'm currently using my Z1R with the Hugo 2 and it's fantastic with all sorts of music genres and both to good and poorly mastered music too, ultimately it's really easy on the ears. The detail retrieval ability of the H2 balances out the liquid and warm Z1R at just the right amount IMO.

I think Mojo is not a good pairing with the Z1R, the combo together is too warmth and you lose too much detail as both piece of equipment tilts towards warm/smooth sound signature.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #608 of 9,633
good point! the lack of resolution and detail retrieval is ironically why Z1R is so really damned good with those cds poorly recorded/mastered, that wold be absolutely intolerable with Utopia and the like :)
I have to say this is not the fact. First is that the Z1Rs are not so tolerant with poorly mastered records; many of those will elevate the mid-highs to exaggerate the details, and will make the cans sound harsh, for there do exist a little spike at 3kHz, for Z1Rs.

And although the Z1Rs also sound fine with some good old analogue recordings, they have nothing to do with lack of resolution; to the opposite the reason is much like why turntables often sounded smooth and fluent: the Z1Rs preserve very rich details, but damp them a little bit, so they become more tolerant. They may be described as 'lack of retrieval' but not lack of resolution itself. If you switch between old recordings and Hi-Res tracks you can easily tell the sound changes from full-bodied but plain to actually rich and vivid; this cannot occur if the headphone lacks resolution.

I've also compared Z1R with Utopia side by side for a long time and I cannot observe a clear full-frequency-range difference of resolution between these two. Of course they have pros and cons against each other but as a result there seems to be a match.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #609 of 9,633
I have to say this is not the fact. First is that the Z1Rs are not so tolerant with poorly mastered records; many of those will elevate the mid-highs to exaggerate the details, and will make the cans sound harsh, for there do exist a little spike at 3kHz, for Z1Rs.

And although the Z1Rs also sound fine with some good old analogue recordings, they have nothing to do with lack of resolution; to the opposite the reason is much like why turntables often sounded smooth and fluent: the Z1Rs preserve very rich details, but damp them a little bit, so they become more tolerant. They may be described as 'lack of retrieval' but not lack of resolution itself. If you switch between old recordings and Hi-Res tracks you can easily tell the sound changes from full-bodied but plain to actually rich and vivid; this cannot occur if the headphone lacks resolution.

I've also compared Z1R with Utopia side by side for a long time and I cannot observe a clear full-frequency-range difference of resolution between these two. Of course they have pros and cons against each other but as a result there seems to be a match.
I agree with what you said
Analog recordings sound excellent as well as digital depending on the recording quality
for example
I have ancient music on the way to Bethlehem / and troubadour singers
In Nexos
My Source SA11 + P-1U + Z1R
I just stuck to the chair from the sound.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #610 of 9,633
In the first few days I was very
Disappointed about the Z1R - but I waited.
I already sold the HD800 my excellent one- and left me another one probably probably sold as well?
Maybe .

I have a little problem with the sound waves of the earpiece

I still think that they are not really "audiophile"
but
They have the sound.
These are large speakers in the room
And all that on my head.

Though in the first few days I was very disappointed
But slowly.
There are improvements.
And this is not my mind got used to.
Definately not
Since I am hearing with a P-1U amplifier with a large sound and wide sound

The earphones begin to live with more power.
Like I said before
Z1R caught me in a chair.
They do not lack the openness that HD800 has
But their sound is fuller

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #611 of 9,633

I respectfully but totally disagree here. I listen to Z1R and Utopia daily, and to my ears, with my music and with my equipments, the Z1R is way less detailed and has way less resolution when compared to Utopia (and HEKv2 FWIW).
mids with Z1R are a little bit recessed and very fluid (good), but also too much smooth and contrast-less (bad). highs (say above 5k) are much more rolled off (with a single spike around 10k) with much less "air" in the Z1R (very bad).
nope, to my ears the two cans sound completely different, both enjoyable in the right circumstances, but very different.
and while I could happily live with just Utopia (or HEKv2), I would never buy the Z1R as my single cans simply because they are IMHO not universal. but they are really great with electronic music and bad recordings :)

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #612 of 9,633
I respectfully but totally disagree here. I listen to Z1R and Utopia daily, and to my ears, with my music and with my equipments, the Z1R is way less detailed and has way less resolution when compared to Utopia (and HEKv2 FWIW).
mids with Z1R are a little bit recessed and very fluid (good), but also too much smooth and contrast-less (bad). highs (say above 5k) are much more rolled off (with a single spike around 10k) with much less "air" in the Z1R (very bad).
nope, to my ears the two cans sound completely different, both enjoyable in the right circumstances, but very different.
and while I could happily live with just Utopia (or HEKv2), I would never buy the Z1R as my single cans simply because they are IMHO not universal. but they are really great with electronic music and bad recordings :)
The Z1Rs can sound airy. I won't urge for an agreement on this, but IMO the highs of Z1Rs are worth the effort of Sony to invent their pure-magnesium dome for these cans. The extension is very high. Rolling off a little bit doesn't necessarily leads to loss of details. They're just not that evident.

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #613 of 9,633
All Z1r owners can from now on use the Schiit Loki equalizer if they need more detail in the treble. And before anyone disses this device or the usage of it, relax and read about the device on headfi.

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #614 of 9,633
All Z1r owners can from now on use the Schiit Loki equalizer if they need more detail in the treble. And before anyone disses this device or the usage of it, relax and read about the device on headfi.

What does the equalizer curve look like?

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #615 of 9,633
I'm currently using my Z1R with the Hugo 2 and it's fantastic with all sorts of music genres and both to good and poorly mastered music too, ultimately it's really easy on the ears. The detail retrieval ability of the H2 balances out the liquid and warm Z1R at just the right amount IMO.

+1 Great synergy. I was blown away demoing the H2/Z1R combo after being really disappointed with how lean the HD 800 S sounded with Hugo 2. The neutrality and precision of H2 is a perfect combo with Z1R, which still delivers that great bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back