Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #571 of 9,633
wow you guys have been busy on this thread while I was away... Trying to play catch up and saw these 2 posts...
I'm wondering if a headphone amp will provide any real advantage for the Z1R over my Mytek Brooklyn's headphone section. In particular I'd like views on the Rogue Audio RH-5 if anyone has heard it, since it offers a good range of connections including four-pin balanced which I'd want, and a remote. I'm also thinking of Violectric V280. But no point in throwing down money without significant improvement in SQ. Thanks.
I have heard it with a mix of headphones, but I don't remember any listening to it with the Z1R. We currently have the Rogue RH-5 sitting upstairs in Northern Audio which is all 2 channel equipment and speakers. We use the RH-5 as a pre amp, and its possible to get a phono board put in to use as a phono pre amp as well. When I get a chance ill go up there to see about synergy with the Z1R!

Z1R is a really easy load to drive for any amp. Not sure what a 4 pin balanced connector would do for you unless your hp cables are covered in power cords or you are running a 200' run of hp cable. I think any other SS amps would render very subtle changes. Tubes on the other hand is an entirely different discussion. Some guys say no tubes with the Z1R. That Rogue amp does look interesting.
I don't see any necessity to run the RH-5 balanced output since like you said the Z1R is pretty easy to drive... The RH-5 is a very neutral sounding amp for a tube amp, so with that said it wont have that "syrupy" sound that some tube amps have. Now tube rolling the RH-5 would be a different story... I really like the amp because of how powerful and clean it is. I think its for someone who has multiple headphones of different power needs, and or someone wanting a higher end all in one.

You both have me real curious about this now ha. I miss the RH-5 being down here since Mark brought it upstairs :frowning2:. I think I am going to go steal it now.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #572 of 9,633
Yes, i bought it and i terminate it with a 4 pin xlr to use Violectric V281 balanced connection. Screw tipe connection are compatible with Z1R.
Thank you very much
281 testifies to your taste in excellent sound.

Know the 200 well.

So I can walk almost certain with this cable
MUC-B30UM1

Will I have a high improvement ???
My amp is P-1U + BCL.
and mids+bass

Yes, I also saw now in a Sony Japan site that fits the Z7 + Z1R
Thank you for your answer

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #573 of 9,633
Thank you very much
281 testifies to your taste in excellent sound.

Will I have a high improvement ???
My amp is P-1U + BCL.
and mids+bass

Yes, I also saw now in a Sony Japan site that fits the Z7 + Z1R
Thank you for your answer

Thank you. Improvement is not worth 200€ i paid for it: probably 100-120€ would have been the right price.

When i purchased it, the cable wasn't available in Europe but i found a good deal @ Amazon Japan tax and shipping included. On the cable box was indicated compatible with Z7 only.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #574 of 9,633
Thank you. Improvement is not worth 200€ i paid for it: probably 100-120€ would have been the right price.

When i purchased it, the cable wasn't available in Europe but i found a good deal @ Amazon Japan tax and shipping included. On the cable box was indicated compatible with Z7 only.

Now it's in Japan on Amazon
About $ 190 dollars without shipping
E BAY
$ 226 including shipping + vat 17% more tax

Why do you think that is not worth 200 GBP?

There are no differences ????

We always pay 100% more charge

Only for 10% improvement in sound

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #575 of 9,633
I know, I know but I don't know how it is in your home country but in mine it is not that easy to try by oneself these Z1Rs... That's why I was coming up to you with my doubt.
My other two flagship headphones will be the HD800S and the LCD-X (2017).

Regards.
I'm in the same sort of situation. There are no longer any audio stores here (except of course Best Buy, but not counting them) in Rhode Island. In the 80's and 90's there were a handful who carried all brands from top to bottom. They are all gone now. I have to travel into neighboring states to demo anything. The damn state is just to small and broke. I bought the Z1Rs on a hunch and of course after reading a couple reviews. I grew to really dislike my DT1770s, which led me to seek something better balanced. Thankfully it all worked out.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #576 of 9,633
I'm in the same sort of situation. There are no longer any audio stores here (except of course Best Buy, but not counting them) in Rhode Island. In the 80's and 90's there were a handful who carried all brands from top to bottom. They are all gone now. I have to travel into neighboring states to demo anything. The damn state is just to small and broke. I bought the Z1Rs on a hunch and of course after reading a couple reviews. I grew to really dislike my DT1770s, which led me to seek something better balanced. Thankfully it all worked out.
You are not alone! I just got done talking with someone from Maryland who would like to visit our store due to what we carry, Sony Z1R included which is ironic...Sorry you don't have a store equivalent to go to RI :frowning2:.

Glad you liked your Z1R's especially buying them blind like you did. I have bought gear blind in the past and thankfully headfiers steered me in the right direction too!

We don't have the DT1770 here anymore or I would like to compare them to the Z1R... DT1770's just too sharp of treble compared to Z1R for your tastes?

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #577 of 9,633
You are not alone! I just got done talking with someone from Maryland who would like to visit our store due to what we carry, Sony Z1R included which is ironic...Sorry you don't have a store equivalent to go to RI :frowning2:.

Glad you liked your Z1R's especially buying them blind like you did. I have bought gear blind in the past and thankfully headfiers steered me in the right direction too!

We don't have the DT1770 here anymore or I would like to compare them to the Z1R... DT1770's just too sharp of treble compared to Z1R for your tastes?
Actually Craig, it was the bass.....wwwaaayy to prominent for me. They sounded muffled in the mids too compared to the Z1R

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #578 of 9,633
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #579 of 9,633
Can you give me a quick paragraph on your thoughts of the Elear vs the Z1R? I have not jumped on the current sale as I like the ability for some sub-bass EQ and have read that the Elears really wouldn't handle that very well. I currently rotate between the Z1R and the HD800 (using Sonarworks for EQ). The Nighthawk I use with the chromebooks.

Bern

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #580 of 9,633
Have anyone tried this Kimber Sony balanced cable with the WM1Z?
https://goo.gl/EzowP2
Now I've ordered that cable SONY MUC - B 30UM 1
Unbalanced because I do not have such an out from my amplifier
P-1U /BCL
Coming from Japan
It would be interesting to see what the result would be for the cable

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #581 of 9,633
Can you give me a quick paragraph on your thoughts of the Elear vs the Z1R? I have not jumped on the current sale as I like the ability for some sub-bass EQ and have read that the Elears really wouldn't handle that very well. I currently rotate between the Z1R and the HD800 (using Sonarworks for EQ). The Nighthawk I use with the chromebooks.

Bern
Well, I'll gratefully give my opinion, but that's all it is. Here goes. Elear and Z1R are really close in build and sonics. Comfort wise, Z1R all day long. Both are super punchy, dynamic, w/resounding heft to bass. Midrange is a dead heat and for the upper most octaves, Elear by a hair in terms of retrieval. Elear is likely just a bit more evenly balanced. Imaging, and tonal accuracy is too close to call. Neither hp is an HD800 in terms of complete accuracy. That said, for my musical tastes, the Z1R are my go to cans now. Electronic ambient, trance, trip hop, dance is mainly what I listen to. Here the Z1R is absolutely superior. Hope that helps. In the end, I'd say save your money and just keep the 2 you have now.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #582 of 9,633
Well, I'll gratefully give my opinion, but that's all it is. Here goes. Elear and Z1R are really close in build and sonics. Comfort wise, Z1R all day long. Both are super punchy, dynamic, w/resounding heft to bass. Midrange is a dead heat and for the upper most octaves, Elear by a hair in terms of retrieval. Elear is likely just a bit more evenly balanced. Imaging, and tonal accuracy is too close to call. Neither hp is an HD800 in terms of complete accuracy. That said, for my musical tastes, the Z1R are my go to cans now. Electronic ambient, trance, trip hop, dance is mainly what I listen to. Here the Z1R is absolutely superior. Hope that helps. In the end, I'd say save your money and just keep the 2 you have now.
Thank you for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

Bern

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #583 of 9,633
Listening to the Z1R's now with some jazz through the Mojo and they are so fluid. I also have the D7200's plugged in at the same time and they couldn't be more different in their presentations. The D7200's are more forward sounding, but detailed, with good bass punch but don't have as big of soundstage as the Sony's. The Z1R's are more spacious, more detailed, has better timbre and imaging and the bass is more layered but just as punchy. I'm really starting to appreciate and understand the Z1R's. They are getting really good the longer I let them play or should I say my ears are adjusting to the sound they are conveying.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #584 of 9,633
Listening to the Z1R's now with some jazz through the Mojo and they are so fluid. I also have the D7200's plugged in at the same time and they couldn't be more different in their presentations. The D7200's are more forward sounding, but detailed, with good bass punch but don't have as big of soundstage as the Sony's. The Z1R's are more spacious, more detailed, has better timbre and imaging and the bass is more layered but just as punchy. I'm really starting to appreciate and understand the Z1R's. They are getting really good the longer I let them play or should I say my ears are adjusting to the sound they are conveying.
Yeah, totally agree with you. Z1R is for the day when you just want to relax and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #585 of 9,633
Yes, my TH900s now sound too edgy, and I'm entirely happy with the Z1Rs especially after (and I hate to admit such extravagance) adding the Axios (copper) cable between the Z1Rs and Mytek Brooklyn. I still have an itch to play with an amp, but I know this is just an audiophile sickness and unjustified by any reasonable expectation of improved sound. I love the sound I get now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back