Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #541 of 9,640
At least the HD800S actually resolves lile an expensive headphone. Also no bass is a bit silly. The 800S doesn't have clean textjred bass like the HD800 due to the distortion added.

The Z1R doesn't even perform on the level of the HD600 series when driven well. It's an embarrassment IMO.

I was trying to convey that any headphones can be shot down -- there are always points that some people find to be a weak spot. Doesn't make the reviews intentionally misleading as was suggested. I have opinions about the HD800S but that's not what this thread is about.

Really, the amount of hyperbole in this thread is getting just ridiculous. They're just headphones, take them or leave them. Some people obviously like them, and really just about any discussion in this of all forums that doesn't acknowledge that the subject matter is subjective very fast becomes nothing more than trolling.

Seems to me that as soon as over a grand is spent then people start posting silly stuff.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #542 of 9,640
Friends let's save
On the culture of conversation
Audio Matters
Despite the differences of opinion, there is no purpose here to harm anyone.

Just raise important points

The Z1R sound
the background
Impressions
And whether the impressions are as authentic as we are presented
Advertisements or Reviews

There may be some truth in advertising
Or more simply

SONY should say we created these headphones
For such and such music

It was easier for me to understand and accept than I did

Scrabble in the dark

And a million questions and then the purchase itself - what do we have inside the box?

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #543 of 9,640
I was trying to convey that any headphones can be shot down -- there are always points that some people find to be a weak spot. Doesn't make the reviews intentionally misleading as was suggested. I have opinions about the HD800S but that's not what this thread is about.

Really, the amount of hyperbole in this thread is getting just ridiculous. They're just headphones, take them or leave them. Some people obviously like them, and really just about any discussion in this of all forums that doesn't acknowledge that the subject matter is subjective very fast becomes nothing more than trolling.

Seems to me that as soon as over a grand is spent then people start posting silly stuff.
:thumbsup:

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #544 of 9,640

I tend to agree actually.

That said all opinions and experiences are valid and shouldn't be shot down because you like a headphone(not you specifically) just like it's not fair to bash people for liking. I think many get immature to the point it gets personal, over what? Headphones. I had one chap a few pages back try to make out I was saying all Z1R owners are wrong basically. This is the type of people you're dealing with online.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #545 of 9,640
And a million questions and then the purchase itself - what do we have inside the box?

Out of curiosity - did you ever own the MDR-Z7?

I owned that headphone prior to this purchase, so I wasn't really surprised what I was getting into when purchasing the MDR-Z1R. To me, it's a better and more refined MDR-Z7.

I'd say the MDR-Z1R is not the best classical music headphone, but for my use it's good enough - that's not the bulk of my listening. For me, it does cover more genres than other headphones I've owned (including the HD800S), and that was what I wanted it for. It's more "all-purpose" in a closed headphone than anything else I've tried. For some genres it's outstanding.

If I'd tried the MDR-Z7 and not liked it, I probably wouldn't like the MDR-Z1R either.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #546 of 9,640
I heard the R10 (don't remember which version) probably 10 years ago and was not that impressed (at the time I owned Audio Technica L3000). I've also heard the SA-5000 and the Qualia and didn't much like them either so I'm probably just in a different camp sound sig wise
One wise man said
"There is nothing to argue about taste and smell"

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #547 of 9,640
Out of curiosity - did you ever own the MDR-Z7?

I owned that headphone prior to this purchase, so I wasn't really surprised what I was getting into when purchasing the MDR-Z1R. To me, it's a better and more refined MDR-Z7.

I'd say the MDR-Z1R is not the best classical music headphone, but for my use it's good enough - that's not the bulk of my listening. For me, it does cover more genres than other headphones I've owned (including the HD800S), and that was what I wanted it for. It's more "all-purpose" in a closed headphone than anything else I've tried. For some genres it's outstanding.

If I'd tried the MDR-Z7 and not liked it, I probably wouldn't like the MDR-Z1R either.
I have not tried the Z7
Because I've been out of it for a long time.
Because I have two original 800 pairs.

It was only a year late, I suddenly saw them just like that.

If Sony had said that the Z1R
Suitable for style
1.2.3 .............
It was easy to understand
And maybe I would not buy Sony at all.

One thing and maybe even two .... For the time being I'm doing extensive research
On any music topic.
I will publish later in detail as much as possible + the accompanying equipment.
The stage width is excellent both in height and depth.
Almost like the HD800 and even enjoy it very much.
This is a surprise from what I had had with the D-7000 closed headphone
W1000X ....

Hearing an organ just for it is worth to me wow .....

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #549 of 9,640
Anyway I wished the Z1R could be more like the R10. Biocell would of been a good driver to aim for. They just need someone to get that tuning right. Japanese love putting spikes in their phones!
How right you are !!!!
Other companies add the same materials to the R10
Drivers
Today
In their headphones.

To tune the ears
In an authentic manner.
And manufactur accordingly

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #550 of 9,640
An unwise man (me) says

If you buy an f40, make sure to wear r10 while driving it
If you get Diablo GTR, get Z1R

Lets keep the weasel shots disappear and keep up the talk on the 70mm masterpieces.:beyersmile:
A most interesting analogy

Is 70mm really the next thing?
In our private audio world

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #551 of 9,640
A most interesting analogy

Is 70mm really the next thing?
In our private audio world

Well Tyll's argument is about the modal break up issues he feels is present (whether he has objective evidence i doubt for that particular argument) but he has some visuals of the way the diaphragm can behave so wildly at high frequencies/ also the measurements look bit odd compared to some other cans which people claimed to be neutral / reference sounding and the measurements more favorable (fq graph, impulse, sq wave results). I'm not a sound engineer/ physicist, so do your own research. So like you said in your review, is it necessary for it to be so technically capable of reproducing these fq we don't even hear (16-20kHZ and beyond)? Sony seems to think so, and i recall coming across some "theories" on this.

Maybe Sony is a few steps away from perfecting its 70mm. Maybe this is as high performance can be extracted from 70mm, i don't know. But one can say, they proved through xb1000,ma-900, z7, Z1R, that it is listenable lol at such a size.

Is the outer bit outside of the magnesium dome Liquid Crystal Polymer? I wonder its stiffness b/c it doesn't have a surround like on Focal Utopia Diaphragm or Fostex th-900. Maybe stiffer with surround would yield less range of fq response (like 20-50kHZ) don't know just talking some non-sense imaginary things. :p

I guess in a nutshell, im happy there are cans with 70mm.... yes that is my point.... i hope they keep trying... continuing with this. :D

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #552 of 9,640
Well Tyll's argument is about the modal break up issues he feels is present (whether he has objective evidence i doubt for that particular argument) but he has some visuals of the way the diaphragm can behave so wildly at high frequencies/ also the measurements look bit odd compared to some other cans which people claimed to be neutral / reference sounding and the measurements more favorable (fq graph, impulse, sq wave results). I'm not a sound engineer/ physicist, so do your own research. So like you said in your review, is it necessary for it to be so technically capable of reproducing these fq we don't even hear (16-20kHZ and beyond)? Sony seems to think so, and i recall coming across some "theories" on this.

Maybe Sony is a few steps away from perfecting its 70mm. Maybe this is as high performance can be extracted from 70mm, i don't know. But one can say, they proved through xb1000,ma-900, z7, Z1R, that it is listenable lol at such a size.

Is the outer bit outside of the magnesium dome Liquid Crystal Polymer? I wonder its stiffness b/c it doesn't have a surround like on Focal Utopia Diaphragm or Fostex th-900. Maybe stiffer with surround would yield less range of fq response (like 20-50kHZ) don't know just talking some non-sense imaginary things. :p

I guess in a nutshell, im happy there are cans with 70mm.... yes that is my point.... i hope they keep trying... continuing with this. :D
WOW
You gave me a lot to think about Tyll's argument.

I did not read until the moment you told me!!!
about the guy with his site Tyll.
Who wrote about the Z1R.
And the video and his explanation of what he said later.
Indeed, I am not the first to feel
Something not really sitting well with the Z1R
I'm not engineer, but I do know how sound is supposed to sound
At least in front of even in the concert hall - the closest is that there is no perfect copying and how good the system will be ..

Indeed 70mm are just as breakthrough as 56's HD800 WAS.

I do not write expert reviews or my profession.is
I have a lot to say
Good and negative.

I bought the Z1R from my own money - and not under any pressure.

Of course not everything is bad .
but I think I was misled by SONY's big privatization of the Z1R.
And they know how to create special things

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #554 of 9,640
@ Sonyes...
At least you bought the headphones.
I thought you were a bot.
He posted a video about his "problem" a couple pages back

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #555 of 9,640

Users who are viewing this thread

Back