Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #5,792 of 9,633
Having tried the Sony Kimber, this awesome lavricables grand silver cable, they do make a small difference, but nothing compared to the magnitude mains filtering had on my TA while i had it. If you plan to keep using it might want to get a filter from someplace with a 30 day return policy.

To be honest, I don’t really want to invest any more money in the TA. I barely use it these days, and will most likely end up selling it by the end of the year. The DMP is getting all the love now 😄

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #5,793 of 9,633
Wow that is very interesting... So the drivers are obviously capable. How come you sold yours?!

Because I need maximum isolation and those open back hd800s are so open that its like not wearing headphones at all. No seal no good for my environment...

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #5,796 of 9,633
There is 820 :wink:. Not my cup of tea but it has the same drivers

Aaa no I didn't like it either he, I like the Z7M2 more 😆 maybe once I receive my dmp I will go try those to see how it sounds 😄.

I think z1r are better then hd820, bigger drivers 😛

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #5,797 of 9,633
Aaa no I didn't like it either he, I like the Z7M2 more 😆 maybe once I receive my dmp I will go try those to see how it sounds 😄.

I think z1r are better then hd820, bigger drivers 😛
LOL!!! Honestly , I am with you!!! Back when I tried them out including DMP, I was more impressed with Stellia , Z7MKII, and 800S (which is already mine)....not anything else that rung the bells....including empyrean

Needless to say that I keep dreaming of 800S with Dynamic slam of Utopia LOL!!!!

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #5,799 of 9,633
Contemplating a Z1R or Stellia. Can anyone compare the Z1R to the old CD3000?

That’s the last Sony headphone I had that I liked.

Had the SA5000 after it and quickly got rid of it because I didn’t care for the sound.
You may need to summon @purk , and ask him to compare it with Qualia Q10 too :wink: ...I am always jealous with the guy and his Q10/R10 collection

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #5,800 of 9,633
I do think the HD800s is really source dependent. It sounded nice with the Taz but with the DMP, it's a whole different level of clarity. The thin sound profile is still there but the pinpoint accuracy is something else.

I don't know why but at the moment, I still prefer the MDR-Z1R on the Taz over the DMP. The soundstage sounds bigger and everything is more intense on the DMP but perhaps i like a bit more of the calmness from the Taz.

Man, I’m the complete opposite lol... I remember when I first got the TA, I really enjoyed the thicker, more forward mids on the Z1R’s compared to my old PHA-2A. But now with the DMP, the TA feels too soft in its transients and it kinda makes the Z1R sound muddy to me. The balanced and crisp presentation on the DMP makes the Z1R’s sound much more open and spacious to my ears. I guess it’s just a preference thing :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5,802 of 9,633
LOL!!! Honestly , I am with you!!! Back when I tried them out including DMP, I was more impressed with Stellia , Z7MKII, and 800S (which is already mine)....not anything else that rung the bells....including empyrean

Needless to say that I keep dreaming of 800S with Dynamic slam of Utopia LOL!!!!

I was thinking of the stellia as an upgrade over the Z7M2 but not 100% do you know if kimber kable can connect into them?

So you heard stellia with dmp? How was it?

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #5,803 of 9,633
I was thinking of the stellia as an upgrade over the Z7M2 but not 100% do you know if kimber kable can connect into them?

So you heard stellia with dmp? How was it?
It is like a closed back Utopia with better Bass (more refined) :wink:, definitely a better one than Z7 MKII

I know back then, Sony was very proud of DMP + Kimber silver Axios + Z1R....I asked why not using Kimber Silver Axios internally for DMP. The answer was
Such is an easy upgrade :wink: (he said it in a joking manner Of course, that was due to me giving such question LoL). I almost wanted to have him some beers then but he was on Active duty

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #5,804 of 9,633
It is very hard to admit the DMP is better than TA, and wait until you can use dedicated LPSU for DMP :wink:
This reminds me of the people on the Dave forum saying everyone should mod the Dave with a 4k power supply. By that point you're better off buying another piece of gear a couple of years down the line.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #5,805 of 9,633
Does anyone know if headphones drivers can become affected by humidity over time? I live in a climate with fairly high humidity through the warmer months and damp through winter and haven't really thought much about until owning my precious Z1Rs. I have added a dry sachet to my case now but I was just wondering if it is something to be careful of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back