Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #5,821 of 9,652
You can use a soft rug with room temperature water, dont use any soap or solvants.

Best is to clean it after use as it didn't had time to dry and get harder to clean off
I try to avoid using MDR-Z1R in hot season, and absolutely avoid using any expensive gear after bathing, I wait till all dry (my hair)

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #5,822 of 9,652
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d be using the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The Focal Clear is your best bet I reckon if you want a compliment to Z1R.

Most orthos are warm and bass focused, which actually overlaps with the Z1R, so I don't think any orthos compliment the Z1R, except the Final Audio D8000 Pro which are surprisingly bright, but those cost a fortune.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #5,823 of 9,652
The Focal Clear is your best bet I reckon if you want a compliment to Z1R.

Most orthos are warm and bass focused, which actually overlaps with the Z1R, so I don't think any orthos compliment the Z1R, except the Final Audio D8000 Pro which are surprisingly bright, but those cost a fortune.
x2 since I own the Clear and MDR-Z1R as well.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #5,824 of 9,652
It's not a copy, it's inspired by. The Hifiman uses a completely differnent driver, different headband. The only thing that is similar to the Sony R10 are the wood earcup shape.
Then I'd really rather they don't also be "inspired" by the name and call it something else, they've been using actual names lately and not numbers, why praticularly do it again now?

It's exactly because they're just milking MDR R10's fame. that's it.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5,826 of 9,652
Maybe 30 years after MDR-Z1R, if Hifi man still exists they'll out a "Homage" HE-Z1R
First, they've got to be sure that Sony no longer holds any patents or trademarks on that cup design.

Then, tell everyone just how bad the MDR-Z1R measures, but pay homage to it anyway.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #5,827 of 9,652
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

18AEADD5-B323-4D28-A0E6-6480107356DA.jpeg

I keep all my headphones in 1600 Pelican cases (foam removed) in original boxes with moisture absorption devices. The headphones stay just like new and even still smell new.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #5,828 of 9,652
First, they've got to be sure that Sony no longer holds any patents or trademarks on that cup design.

Then, tell everyone just how bad the MDR-Z1R measures, but pay homage to it anyway.
Team hifi man is nauseating.
First copy it Xerox style... then say everyone the original one (sony) sounds like crap... of course with today's standards it will measure bad (MDR-R10) but 30 years a go it was.perhaps the best one in their time...

Wanted to buy an Arya or susvara... they've put me off with this xerox

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #5,829 of 9,652
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

18AEADD5-B323-4D28-A0E6-6480107356DA.jpeg
I keep all my headphones in 1600 Pelican cases (foam removed) in original boxes with moisture absorption devices. The headphones stay just like new and even still smell new.
Nice, I looked at these and other similar designs but unfortunately the recent addition of the Z1R, Sony Kimber cable and BCR-NWH10 left me with a tight budget. These new purchases have also left me with no choice but to aim for a TA-ZH1ES.
Which category do I list one of my kidneys for sale here?

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #5,830 of 9,652
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d be using the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
The Pioneer SE-Master1 checks all these boxes and more, but can be a little difficult to test drive outside Japan. If you do get the chance, give it a spin, it might be just what you're looking for.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #5,831 of 9,652
I got a pair of koss porta pros, just for sake of giving them a shot. Given their reputation. Yea is true, for 40€ they sound very good. Clearly not at Z1R levels but fairly impressed. They lose to the MDR-Z1R on bass quality (not so much, other than the texture and texture tumble on Z1R is better) as well as high extension and clarity, again the kossies could be a smidge more clear. Soundstage goes to MDR-Z1R as well as isolation, when I thought Z1R allowed some sounds in... the kossies allow everything in

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #5,832 of 9,652
I got a pair of koss porta pros, just for sake of giving them a shot. Given their reputation. Yea is true, for 40€ they sound very good. Clearly not at Z1R levels but fairly impressed. They lose to the MDR-Z1R on bass quality (not so much, other than the texture and texture tumble on Z1R is better) as well as high extension and clarity, again the kossies could be a smidge more clear. Soundstage goes to MDR-Z1R as well as isolation, when I thought Z1R allowed some sounds in... the kossies allow everything in
The Porta Pro’s are not bad headphones at all. I use them for my work headphones. They aren’t on the Z1R’s level but they are more than listenable headphones.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,833 of 9,652
The Porta Pro’s are not bad headphones at all. I use them for my work headphones. They aren’t on the Z1R’s level but they are more than listenable headphones.
The Porta Pro is a venerable classic that warrants the praise it receives. From a price-to-performance standpoint, they are hard to beat.

Sadly, I think that they look hideous, and I'd never wear them outside - which is its primary use case, I suppose.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #5,834 of 9,652
The Porta Pro is a venerable classic that warrants the praise it receives. From a price-to-performance standpoint, they are hard to beat.

Sadly, I think that they look hideous, and I'd never wear them outside - which is its primary use case, I suppose.
They look 80-ish retro . Sure they sound great for their price... was expecting a letdown

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #5,835 of 9,652
I started with Audiotechnika M40x at work, then Oppo pm-3's and the Z1R . The Oppos were pretty awesome, really neutral tuning, closed back with great isolation and that planar speed and bass. Still looking for that in a closed back flagship. They got even hotter than the Z1R though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back