Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #5,776 of 9,633
Haha nah, I’m broke now 🤣 an open back HP will be my goal for 2021.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far guys :) @adrianm @moemoney @cosplayerkyo

Will add all those to the shortlist and hopefully can demo a few when the local audio store opens again post Covid lockdown.
What open back are you looking toward ? I am curious

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #5,777 of 9,633
I do think the HD800s is really source dependent. It sounded nice with the Taz but with the DMP, it's a whole different level of clarity. The thin sound profile is still there but the pinpoint accuracy is something else.

I don't know why but at the moment, I still prefer the MDR-Z1R on the Taz over the DMP. The soundstage sounds bigger and everything is more intense on the DMP but perhaps i like a bit more of the calmness from the Taz.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5,779 of 9,633
An open back hp is the final piece of the puzzle. But it’s not super important to me, hence why it can wait until next year (or even later) when my hobby funds have replenished. Also I have no desire to build a system around an open-back headphone. It will need to slot into what I already have, or I won’t even bother buying one. If one exists, great! If not, oh well...
Same here :) honestly i might just wait for my dealer's black friday or christmas deals (they had 40% + on Utopias last Christmas) and try to get an Arya for around 1k if the hype around it is warranted and call it a day. I had some Oppo Pm-3's and really miss the speed of planar magnetic headphones, but still no closed back planar flagships.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #5,780 of 9,633
I do think the HD800s is really source dependent. It sounded nice with the Taz but with the DMP, it's a whole different level of clarity. The thin sound profile is still there but the pinpoint accuracy is something else.

I don't know why but at the moment, I still prefer the MDR-Z1R on the Taz over the DMP. The soundstage sounds bigger and everything is more intense on the DMP but perhaps i like a bit more of the calmness from the Taz.
800s is like a super model. SHe is picky for sure! But once you meet her criteria, she will show you all the best that she can, and that she is world class, which not many could say the same

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #5,781 of 9,633
Same here :) honestly i might just wait for my dealer's black friday or christmas deals (they had 40% + on Utopias last Christmas) and try to get an Arya for around 1k if the hype around it is warranted and call it a day. I had some Oppo Pm-3's and really miss the speed of planar magnetic headphones, but still no closed back planar flagships.

40% is great! My local dealer had B-stock utopias for about $2.5k AUD a little while ago, but they were closed for auditions due to Covid. I’ll definitely wait until auditioning is possible again, and then wait for a decent sale :)

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #5,782 of 9,633
Something that sounds good as a compliment to the Z1R, that can be easily driven from the DMP/TA :) ideally with decent bass but not too much either lol
800s :wink: can’t tell you enough how much I love her with DMP . Upgraded cables externally and internally. That is all you need

I once had the legendary Stax, but****

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #5,784 of 9,633
But how’s the bass? :D

Definitely want to try the 800s. @hshock76 has also said good things about them to me
Plenty! Both The quality and quantity without sacrificing one for another. You know ? Some trade one for another. (I love Daft and EDM too)

You would be very surprised at how much Bass 800S can pump out of DMP. Hence you have to give it a try. Especially if you could try it with an upgraded cables

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,785 of 9,633
Plenty! Both The quality and quantity without sacrificing one for another. You know ? Some trade one for another. (I love Daft and EDM too)

You would be very surprised at how much Bass 800S can pump out of DMP. Hence you have to give it a try. Especially if you could try it with an upgraded cables

Well that’s great news :) I shall keep the hd800s on the list haha

The bass was my biggest concern. What type of cable do you use?

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #5,786 of 9,633
Well that’s the thing I’m wondering too. Is it really worth spending cash on a high-ish end open back if the Z1R already has a large soundstage, and maybe a diffferent source that can enhance the Z1R in that regard even further would be better? I don’t really want to buy another dac/amp though. Especially not one as expensive as the Dave haha
I would look into investing in a quality UP OCC Silver cable. The AXIOS is ridiculous in price, so try Norne or DoubleHelix as their most expensive is still a lot less than the AXIOS.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,788 of 9,633
Well that’s great news :) I shall keep the hd800s on the list haha

The bass was my biggest concern. What type of cable do you use?

Trust me I sometimes was fooling around and eq bass with amps that had 3 stage bass boost . MAN it was rumbling shaking all over my head lmao and guess what 0 distortion! Had fun haha

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #5,790 of 9,633
Thanks :) that is also something I definitely want to try at some point, probably before getting an open back to be honest
Having tried the Sony Kimber, this awesome lavricables grand silver cable, they do make a small difference, but nothing compared to the magnitude mains filtering had on my TA while i had it. If you plan to keep using it might want to get a filter from someplace with a 30 day return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back