Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 26, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #5,746 of 9,633
The Z1R's clamp a lot better than the HD820's. When I had the HD820's the only thing I did not like about them was the fit. The clamp force was way to light on them. The Z1R's fit is secure but the headphone themselves are very light.
The Z1R literally falls off my head if i move, i must have a weird shaped noggin!

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #5,747 of 9,633
Do you know maybe how is isolation vs stellia vs hd820? Against z7m2 and z1r?
Sorry, mate, I don't have any of the other 2 headphones on hand at the moment. I can test this out when I visit my local headphone store, although I wouldn't be heading down anytime soon (not in the next 1-2 weeks).

For what it's worth, I preferred the fit of the Stellia - it was more snug and tight on the head; in contrast, the HD820 felt a little too loose.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #5,748 of 9,633
Thats is exactly what I was thinking and it does make total sense to by the way as sony would have no reason building the Ta lol if 1z was enough power to run the mdr-z1r haha.

Its good 1z on the go and ta for home
Yes, 1Z on the go, TA at the listening room and DMP-Z1 on the home office. 😄

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #5,749 of 9,633
You can but I bet it has only 50 hours of run time and dont sound yet fully open as it should. I wont br surprised dmp-z1 needs 500 hours to fully burn in.
also make sure you test the DMP-Z1 in battery mode.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #5,750 of 9,633
The Z1R literally falls off my head if i move, i must have a weird shaped noggin!
Oh wow, the Z1R’s don’t have the tightest clamp. At the same time, I don’t find them to be that lose either.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #5,751 of 9,633
They couldn't compare to the Arya's for me.
Just saw one of your videos about returning the LCD-4Z's. Reliability aside, you seemed to consider them on par with the Z1R, though some people recommended the 4z's as an upgrade to them. It's kinda weird that you consider the Aryas better than the Z1R, and by extension the 4Z i guess? I can understand the Open vs Closed back argument, but why do you like the Aryas more than the 4Z?

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #5,752 of 9,633
why do you like the Aryas more than the 4Z?

Since this is the Z1r, thread, post this over on the Arya or 4z thread, and I'll answer over there.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #5,754 of 9,633
DSC_0011.jpg

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #5,756 of 9,633
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #5,757 of 9,633
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d be using the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #5,758 of 9,633
I’m looking to get an open back headphone to compliment my Z1R’s. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally something that isn’t too bass lite (not basshead levels but not anemic bass either)

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d like to use the same sources/power.

Budget-wise, i’d like to spend somewhere around the same price as the Z1R at most, but I can go a little higher if necessary.

I have the HEKse in addition to the Z1Rs,I realize there not in you budget but you can get then at a good price used.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #5,759 of 9,633

I was thinking of trying the HD800s but i’m worried it would be too thin sounding. I’d also like something that is fairly easy to drive like the Z1R’s as I’d like to use the same sources/power.

I'm in the same boat but i need to buy a new place first :p . From my research (no listening yet) I'm keeping an eye out for discounts for Lcd-4Z, Empyrean or Final Audio D8000 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back