Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #5,731 of 9,633
If @Gamerlingual doesn't get to this before I do, I'll run a comparison tomorrow. My wife's sleeping now, so I can't test the noise isolation capabilities of either headphone at this time.
Do it. I’ve had no time due to work. But I think the Z7M2 might be the one that does the better job.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #5,732 of 9,633
The only thing that is similar to the Sony R10 are the wood earcup shape.
The acoustics of the earcup are probably the only thing worth copying. I do find it funny that when asked about a closed back Hifiman, their ceo made some snide remarks when the interviewer mentioned that Sony has a flagship closed back. "It's easy to make a closed back, not so easy to make a good one ". Yet apparently the only way they found was copying their old designs.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #5,733 of 9,633
Yet apparently the only way they found was copying their old designs.

They didn't though. There are way more differences than similarities. Literally the only things that are similar is the earcup shape and the name, and perhaps the sound signature but that is yet to be determined.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #5,734 of 9,633
They didn't though. There are way more differences than similarities. Literally the only things that are similar is the earcup shape and the name, and perhaps the sound signature but that is yet to be determined.

"43:30 - Bian says Sony R10 is not as good as people claims it to be. He prefers Bose NC700, Sony XB900N and Sony WH-1000XM3 over Sony R10.
49:30 - Bian addresses the haters, "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony ('s design). Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we (Hifiman and Sony) should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, you (Sony) won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. (Audience applaud in laughter)""

Call it what you will, it's distasteful and symbolizes perfectly why a lot of people steer clear of Hifiman. I was also considering a He1000se but from what i've read the Aryas are pretty much the same headphone/drivers. At half the price. Within their range it seems price is just an indicator of social status not of quality. Knowing this i'd easier justify a pair of Final Audio DT8000 pro than a pair of Aryas at full price. Even with the price delta, the quality difference is apparent. Getting to hear them is where it gets tricky.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #5,735 of 9,633
Do it. I’ve had no time due to work. But I think the Z7M2 might be the one that does the better job.
And you would be right! :)

@Vitaly2017 The Z7M2 attenuates outside sound a little better than the Z1R. It's not very obvious, though, but it is superior in this function.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #5,736 of 9,633
"43:30 - Bian says Sony R10 is not as good as people claims it to be. He prefers Bose NC700, Sony XB900N and Sony WH-1000XM3 over Sony R10.
49:30 - Bian addresses the haters, "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony ('s design). Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we (Hifiman and Sony) should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, you (Sony) won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. (Audience applaud in laughter)""

Call it what you will, it's distasteful and symbolizes perfectly why a lot of people steer clear of Hifiman. I was also considering a He1000se but from what i've read the Aryas are pretty much the same headphone/drivers. At half the price. Within their range it seems price is just an indicator of social status not of quality. Knowing this i'd easier justify a pair of Final Audio DT8000 pro than a pair of Aryas at full price. Even with the price delta, the quality difference is apparent. Getting to hear them is where it gets tricky.
See, that's the thing I don't really understand. I'd pay homage to a device that I hold in high regard; a well-performing product, if you will. In the case of audio-related equipment, I'd respect or endear myself to a certain headphone (or IEM) that sounds fantastic, and may look iconic - I'd pay homage to such an item. However, in Fang's case, it is apparent, from his own words, nonetheless, that he doesn't think too highly of its aural characteristics. Why "pay homage" to its design alone, then? It appears to be in bad taste, to be honest. With that said, I wouldn't dare speak on Fang's behalf; ultimately, he may perceive the concept of paying respect and/or reverence to a hallowed product in a wholly-different manner.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #5,737 of 9,633
See, that's the thing I don't really understand. I'd pay homage to a device that I hold in high regard; a well-performing product, if you will. In the case of audio-related equipment, I'd respect or endear myself to a certain headphone (or IEM) that sounds fantastic, and may look iconic - I'd pay homage to such an item. However, in Fang's case, it is apparent, from his own words, nonetheless, that he doesn't think too highly of its aural characteristics. Why "pay homage" to its design alone, then? It appears to be in bad taste, to be honest. With that said, I wouldn't dare speak on Fang's behalf; ultimately, he may perceive the concept of paying respect and/or reverence to a hallowed product in a wholly-different manner.
It's pretty clear the only reason they did it is the cult status of the R10's.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #5,738 of 9,633
Thought I'd share a photo of my 3 main Sony headphones at the moment -

Sony Headphones.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #5,739 of 9,633
And you would be right! :)

@Vitaly2017 The Z7M2 attenuates outside sound a little better than the Z1R. It's not very obvious, though, but it is superior in this function.

Do you know maybe how is isolation vs stellia vs hd820? Against z7m2 and z1r?

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5,740 of 9,633
Unfortunately my secondhand Z1R didn't have the case so I have found a nice alternative - my WM1A is slotted in beside them.
That Sony Kimber cable is a wild snake to try to tame.

20200826_073441.jpg
20200826_073317.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #5,741 of 9,633
Do you know maybe how is isolation vs stellia vs hd820? Against z7m2 and z1r?
HD820 won't isolate as good. I think the Stellia would be the best one to shut out noise. It does a pretty good job.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #5,742 of 9,633
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #5,743 of 9,633
Did you ever tried them on the 1z just for fun?
My friend seems not to be 100% satisfied he also got the sony 4.4 kimber kable he said it did improve but still not fully a live.

I tell him it's a headphone it will definitely sound much better and properly driven on a desktop gear.
As it will give full amp power and all the proper amplitude.
It is why he wants to sale the 1z...
I used to have WM1Z pair with MDR-Z1R and imo it sounds pretty good. Of course better amp will even drive it to another level. Now most of the time I enjoy MDR-Z1R with DMP-Z1.

Aug 26, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #5,745 of 9,633
I disagree, it had a lot less clamping force when i tried it and it might have the same fit issues as hd820.
The Z1R's clamp a lot better than the HD820's. When I had the HD820's the only thing I did not like about them was the fit. The clamp force was way to light on them. The Z1R's fit is secure but the headphone themselves are very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back