Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #5,686 of 9,746
Hi folks my friend has the wm1z and the pw1960 4wires paired with hes mdr-z1r headphones.

Hes asking me to ask on headfi to what headfiers use their mdr-z1r. He thinking to upgrade to a desktop source so hes wondering if there some who can give some feedback of the mdr-z1r on dap vs desktop source please?

By the way in my lsignature link you can see I got a 1z + pw1960 for sale if interested thanks!
Ask @SONYES he has the SPL PHONITOR 2

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #5,687 of 9,746
Yes the MDR-Z1R are ok and enjoyable enough from 1Z but clearly better from TA
Guess I’m one of the few who love using the MDR-Z1R on both equally. ^^

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #5,688 of 9,746
Guess I’m one of the few who love using the MDR-Z1R on both equally. ^^

Oh I’m happy enough with them on 1Z, I just find they get even better on TA

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #5,689 of 9,746
Oh I’m happy enough with them on 1Z, I just find they get even better on TA

Thats is exactly what I was thinking and it does make total sense to by the way as sony would have no reason building the Ta lol if 1z was enough power to run the mdr-z1r haha.

Its good 1z on the go and ta for home

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #5,690 of 9,746
So there's something about the TAZ1 with silver cables that sound... much smoother. I am finding myself actually enjoying my music rather than nit-picking at the details (which there seem to be more of compared to my thx 789)

This hobby is just so variable and hard to pin-point differences at this stage. I will say that there IS a difference in cables and amps, and while I can't quite say what it is I think I'm at a point where my Z1r's won't sound any better. I'm content! the next step is to play around with different types of music =)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #5,691 of 9,746
Here is my optimized audio chain for my Z1R headphones:

MacBook Pro ->
Cardas Clear Serial Buss : usb cable ->
Chord Hugo TT : dac/headphone amp ->
Cardas Clear Headphone Cable ->
Sony MDR-Z1R -> headphones

Vibration Control : Symposium - Svelt shelf with RollerBlocks (double-stacked)

It all adds up nicely.

IMG_0869.jpeg

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #5,692 of 9,746
So there's something about the TAZ1 with silver cables that sound... much smoother. I am finding myself actually enjoying my music rather than nit-picking at the details (which there seem to be more of compared to my thx 789)

This hobby is just so variable and hard to pin-point differences at this stage. I will say that there IS a difference in cables and amps, and while I can't quite say what it is I think I'm at a point where my Z1r's won't sound any better. I'm content! the next step is to play around with different types of music =)

Wait until you pair your z1r with dmp-z1 😅🤣🤣 new spending will happen

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5,693 of 9,746
Here is my optimized audio chain for my Z1R headphones:

MacBook Pro ->
Cardas Clear Serial Buss : usb cable ->
Chord Hugo TT : dac/headphone amp ->
Cardas Clear Headphone Cable ->
Sony MDR-Z1R -> headphones

Vibration Control : Symposium - Svelt shelf with RollerBlocks (double-stacked)

It all adds up nicely.

IMG_0869.jpeg
You forgot to add..

Keychron K2: Keyboard

I'm using the same keyboard. :wink:

That cable looks interesting, though; it splits from the 6.3mm plug's end. That's the first time I've seen this.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5,694 of 9,746
Wait until you pair your z1r with dmp-z1 😅🤣🤣 new spending will happen
The most i could do is Grab a train to Berlin and in the sony centre give that mighty dnp-z1 a test drive with my MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M7

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #5,695 of 9,746
The most i could do is Grab a train to Berlin and in the sony centre give that mighty dnp-z1 a test drive with my MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M7

You can but I bet it has only 50 hours of run time and dont sound yet fully open as it should. I wont br surprised dmp-z1 needs 500 hours to fully burn in.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #5,697 of 9,746
You forgot to add..

Keychron K2: Keyboard

I'm using the same keyboard. :wink:

That cable looks interesting, though; it splits from the 6.3mm plug's end. That's the first time I've seen this.

I meant to replay to your posting - The Cardas Clear Headphone Cable is sublime. The Sony/Kimber is marginal step above the stock cable, but the Cardas Clear is in a different league.

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #5,700 of 9,746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back