Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #5,671 of 9,690
Two weeks ago I got my Sony Z1R and yesterday the Sony THA Amp/Dac.

This is my first time even owning full sized headphones, only ever owned Sony IEM's (last three years using the SONY XBA-N3AP) and never owned a AMP or DAC. As soon as I ran these through the amp and played some recent favourite songs genuinely incredibly impressed. This thing with strings / guitars is just amazing. The one thing I will say however is the 'easy to drive' really depends on songs .... The bass was distorted and struggling for most rap music until I finally got the amp (using on a macbook pro).

qkruHDV.jpg

The one issue is i love the design for sitting at home to look at before using, but absolutely would not use it outside the home. The cone shape is too ridiculous/exaggerated.

noH5Dle.jpg

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,672 of 9,690
Two weeks ago I got my Sony Z1R and yesterday the Sony THA Amp/Dac.

This is my first time even owning full sized headphones, only ever owned Sony IEM's (last three years using the SONY XBA-N3AP) and never owned a AMP or DAC. As soon as I ran these through the amp and played some recent favourite songs genuinely incredibly impressed. This thing with strings / guitars is just amazing. The one thing I will say however is the 'easy to drive' really depends on songs .... The bass was distorted and struggling for most rap music until I finally got the amp (using on a macbook pro).

qkruHDV.jpg

The one issue is i love the design for sitting at home to look at before using, but absolutely would not use it outside the home. The cone shape is too ridiculous/exaggerated.

noH5Dle.jpg

That's a huge step up. I have always used iems (N3,Z5) because they offered great sound and suited my listening habits as my listening time mostly involves me moving around the house. I recently got a deal on the Z1R and Kimber cable and it opened me up to a whole new level sound - the clarity, detail, separation and 3D effect is impressive coming from iems. I use a WM1A which is no slouch but I intend to get the TA-ZH1ES which I hear takes it to another level.
Enjoy!

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,674 of 9,690
That's a huge step up. I have always used iems (N3,Z5) because they offered great sound and suited my listening habits as my listening time mostly involves me moving around the house. I recently got a deal on the Z1R and Kimber cable and it opened me up to a whole new level sound - the clarity, detail, separation and 3D effect is impressive coming from iems. I use a WM1A which is no slouch but I intend to get the TA-ZH1ES which I hear takes it to another level.
Enjoy!

We are near enough the same boat! especially the realisation of how truly impressive the sound level is when you make this steps: you called out exactly the improvements I have noticed the most. Love my N3's, they been my daily drivers for some years but with covid WFH impact im tied to my desk a lot more, and there is no question of what I will be using now. I also really wanted the WM1A (even just when i had the N3) but i feel like those are perfect if I was willing to take these outside, or planned to move around the house.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5,676 of 9,690
We are near enough the same boat! especially the realisation of how truly impressive the sound level is when you make this steps: you called out exactly the improvements I have noticed the most. Love my N3's, they been my daily drivers for some years but with covid WFH impact im tied to my desk a lot more, and there is no question of what I will be using now. I also really wanted the WM1A (even just when i had the N3) but i feel like those are perfect if I was willing to take these outside, or planned to move around the house.
For me iems do a very good job and although the soundstage has width I find it overall quite flat. With the Z1R there is more depth and spacing of each instrument, then I noticed with some electronic sounds there is like a 3D holographic effect - I think this is thanks to the big cone shape.

In the future if you need a portable option the WM1A/1Z thread has many happy owners, and Sony products tend to go together well.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #5,677 of 9,690
Hi folks my friend has the wm1z and the pw1960 4wires paired with hes mdr-z1r headphones.

Hes asking me to ask on headfi to what headfiers use their mdr-z1r. He thinking to upgrade to a desktop source so hes wondering if there some who can give some feedback of the mdr-z1r on dap vs desktop source please?

By the way in my lsignature link you can see I got a 1z + pw1960 for sale if interested thanks!

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #5,678 of 9,690
I've never used my MDR-Z1R on my WM1Z or WM1A.

I use it connected to a TA-ZH1ES and use the WM1Z in the Sony dock as the source.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #5,679 of 9,690
I've never used my MDR-Z1R on my WM1Z or WM1A.

I use it connected to a TA-ZH1ES and use the WM1Z in the Sony dock as the source.

Did you ever tried them on the 1z just for fun?
My friend seems not to be 100% satisfied he also got the sony 4.4 kimber kable he said it did improve but still not fully a live.

I tell him it's a headphone it will definitely sound much better and properly driven on a desktop gear.
As it will give full amp power and all the proper amplitude.
It is why he wants to sale the 1z...

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #5,680 of 9,690
Did you ever tried them on the 1z just for fun?
My friend seems not to be 100% satisfied he also got the sony 4.4 kimber kable he said it did improve but still not fully a live.

I tell him it's a headphone it will definitely sound much better and properly driven on a desktop gear.
As it will give full amp power and all the proper amplitude.
It is why he wants to sale the 1z...
It powers it plenty for me. And I use it on volume 52 out of 120. It’s a great combo

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #5,681 of 9,690
It powers it plenty for me. And I use it on volume 52 out of 120. It’s a great combo

Boy thats low even my z7m2 with 1a I set 80 of 120 on high gain.
It sounds not powerful enough in mass not volume . When I set dynamic volume normaliser it sounds much more effortlessly and easy to hear all the small details. I dont think 1a or 1z is a 100% ideal source for headphones...

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #5,682 of 9,690
Boy thats low even my z7m2 with 1a I set 80 of 120 on high gain.
It sounds not powerful enough in mass not volume . When I set dynamic volume normaliser it sounds much more effortlessly and easy to hear all the small details. I dont think 1a or 1z is a 100% ideal source for headphones...
Even with the TA I don’t go loud and hear the details. Everyone’s ears are different. But the 1Z holds its own no problem

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #5,683 of 9,690
Even with the TA I don’t go loud and hear the details. Everyone’s ears are different. But the 1Z holds its own no problem

I think what happens is that we probably concentrate our self on different aspects of the music this why our acceptance of what we judge good or bad are affected in different ways

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #5,685 of 9,690
Yes the MDR-Z1R are ok and enjoyable enough from 1Z but clearly better from TA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back