Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #4,831 of 9,633
You'll have me looking at more audio products ! :wink: ( Have you sorted out your problem with your DMP-Z1, by the way ! ?? Hope so !

I'm still going through up's and downs with my Z1R, but presently getting great joy from it, using my FiiO X5iii, which had kind of got forgotten about. ( Well, i kind of lost it...but i thankfully found it the back of my TV cabinet, it had fallen through the back of it. ) I'm enjoying it so much, that i'm thinking of buying the FiiO M15 DAP ? As you know, i'm "thinking" of buying many audio products....the DMP-Z1....the Focal Stellia's....e.t.c. e.t.c. :)
Hi Rob, nah, the "hum" problem on the DMP-Z1 still persists, but I've been to lazy/tied up with work to try and fix it. Also, I'm loathe to send it in, and everything's fine when running on batteries, but yeah, it has to be done some time.
I'm still not the biggest fan of the MDR-Z1R (too soft and warm for my taste), but so far it seems to sound the best out of the DMP-Z1. Certainly better than from the WM1A, so maybe it was indeed underpowered.

P.S. I'm DYING to finally hear my trusty SEM1 out of the DMP-Z1, but unfortunately I've dropped it and damaged one of the MMCX connectors, so I'm stuck with the two Z1Rs for the time being. Oh well, could be worse, I guess.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #4,832 of 9,633
@Rob49 have you heard an WM1A? If yes, how does the Fiio x5III compares in SQ? I am eyeing one or an M11 non pro because the dual SD slot

@gerelmx1986 I haven't, although often thought to buy one. ( WM1A ) I've read that FiiO have improved with each device released. I'd forgotten how good the FiiO x5iii is. The detail i'm hearing, much detail more prounced than my Sony DAPS, ZX2 & ZX300. ( I've read many good things about the M11 & that there isn't a huge difference to the M15 Flagship ?? ) I can't just decide what to buy, presently ?

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #4,833 of 9,633
Hi Rob, nah, the "hum" problem on the DMP-Z1 still persists, but I've been to lazy/tied up with work to try and fix it. Also, I'm loathe to send it in, and everything's fine when running on batteries, but yeah, it has to be done some time.
I'm still not the biggest fan of the MDR-Z1R (too soft and warm for my taste), but so far it seems to sound the best out of the DMP-Z1. Certainly better than from the WM1A, so maybe it was indeed underpowered.

P.S. I'm DYING to finally hear my trusty SEM1 out of the DMP-Z1, but unfortunately I've dropped it and damaged one of the MMCX connectors, so I'm stuck with the two Z1Rs for the time being. Oh well, could be worse, I guess.

I'm sorry to hear that @phonomat and of course an absolute pain if you have to return, which it looks like you will have to if you don't find a solution ? ( & more bad luck with your SEM1 ! )

As i said, i'm enjoying my MDR-Z1R's from my FiiO X5iii & i do from my Sony DAP's, more than my TA, quite often ! ( & yet, that should be the "match" ! - )

I'll either end up buying more than one piece of new audio equipment....or nothing !

Hope you can get DMP-Z1 sorted without having to send back. You haven't had too much chance to listen more then ?

I'm coming more to the conclusion that the Z1R's are best suited to easy listening music, which i enjoy a lot, but i think it's fairing better out of my FiiOX5iii with more "busier / heavier music".

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #4,834 of 9,633
I'm sorry to hear that @phonomat and of course an absolute pain if you have to return, which it looks like you will have to if you don't find a solution ? ( & more bad luck with your SEM1 ! )

As i said, i'm enjoying my MDR-Z1R's from my FiiO X5iii & i do from my Sony DAP's, more than my TA, quite often ! ( & yet, that should be the "match" ! - )

I'll either end up buying more than one piece of new audio equipment....or nothing !

Hope you can get DMP-Z1 sorted without having to send back. You haven't had too much chance to listen more then ?

I'm coming more to the conclusion that the Z1R's are best suited to easy listening music, which i enjoy a lot, but i think it's fairing better out of my FiiOX5iii with more "busier / heavier music".
No, it's alright, I listen to it every day, it's just that there's this slight hum when plugged in; sound on battery is perfectly clean with pitch-black background.

And yes, "easy listening" seems about right for the MDR-Z1R, very relaxed sound signature, mostly a bit too relaxed for my taste in music.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #4,835 of 9,633
So this is the big boy Z1R thread!
I got a pair new and after a couple of days of intensive use I find that I'm left with discomfort on the top of my head from the headband and/or on my jaw from the ear pads after use. This is very surprising because these headphones seem to be universally praised for their comfort. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Tried different slider levels and moving around the cups, but can't get it to feel 100% right.

Any tips from veteran users? Anyone had issues with comfort on these at first? Maybe the headband becomes more flexible over time?

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #4,836 of 9,633
I got a pair new and after a couple of days of intensive use I find that I'm left with discomfort on the top of my head from the headband and/or on my jaw from the ear pads after use. This is very surprising because these headphones seem to be universally praised for their comfort. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Tried different slider levels and moving around the cups, but can't get it to feel 100% right.

Any tips from veteran users? Anyone had issues with comfort on these at first? Maybe the headband becomes more flexible over time?
Personally, I think the Z1R is one of the most comfortable headphones on the market. They don't have a strong clamp, and they are very light, comparatively, for a flagship, full-sized headphone. I wish the pads were a little thicker, but I digress.

In any case, I've never experienced any issues with comfort whilst listening to the Z1R. It's probably because my head is used to an Audeze (I also have LCD-XC), so I have acclimated to the killer combo of a strong clamp and a (really) heavy body. :sweat_smile:

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #4,837 of 9,633

I have no comfort problems at all but you are not the first in this thread to have some comfort issues

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #4,838 of 9,633

The clamp force has caused me some headaches after an hour use. Push the cups maybe a little back and try to loosen the area where the clamp presses and adjust the height of the headphones until it doesn't feel so much pressure. It can hurt me at times

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #4,839 of 9,633
No, it's alright, I listen to it every day, it's just that there's this slight hum when plugged in; sound on battery is perfectly clean with pitch-black background.

And yes, "easy listening" seems about right for the MDR-Z1R, very relaxed sound signature, mostly a bit too relaxed for my taste in music.
How are you finding the IER-Z1R/DMP-Z1 pairing?

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #4,841 of 9,633
Exceptional, but I loved the IER-Z1R out of the WM1A as well, so the gap is not as big as with the MDR-Z1R, which I feel has improved a bit more. The IER-Z1R is just one stellar IEM, regardless of source.
I find the IER-Z1R a great complement to the MDR-Z1R. The 2 are quite distinct in their sound signatures, but both have their respective strengths. The IER is a tad too bright and thin for my tastes, but it has, arguably, the best bass presentation of all the IEMs in the market today. Taken as a whole, the IER is a musical and engaging IEM that still retains a high level of detail retrieval. It is a very impressive earphone, indeed.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #4,842 of 9,633
Just chiming in here since I just found this thread. I enjoy the Z1R's a lot. I have found that EQ'ing down 10kHz slightly EQ'ing 5kHz up slightly, gives it a very nice tonality and smoothness (slightly less treble peak, and smoother mids/vocals) that rivals even more expensive headphones, yet also has great bass.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #4,843 of 9,633
Just chiming in here since I just found this thread. I enjoy the Z1R's a lot. I have found that EQ'ing down 10kHz slightly EQ'ing 5kHz up slightly, gives it a very nice tonality and smoothness (slightly less treble peak, and smoother mids/vocals) that rivals even more expensive headphones, yet also has great bass.
If you replace the stock sliver plated cable with an all copper cable you don't need to do this.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #4,844 of 9,633
Jun 19, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #4,845 of 9,633
If you replace the stock sliver plated cable with an all copper cable you don't need to do this.
Are you saying that changing the cable would show up in an FR graph the same way as EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back