Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 8, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,546 of 9,635
Ok, but we're talking about $100 *extra*. Have we lost sense of the true value of $100?

Many times the parts are expensive. $100 is nothing in the world of cables. Have some lost sense of what it means to be an audiophile?

36B3A655-ED98-4FA1-9314-FCA7E8DFFA76.png

May 8, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,547 of 9,635
They look like nice cables for sure, but it's hilarious to me that the Axios charges an extra $100 for the 4.4 balanced jack, compared to the 6.3.

When I see this kind of price gouging, I'm starting to root for wireless. :)
Oh, don't worry, they would find a way to make you pay through your nose for wireless as well. :wink:

May 8, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #4,548 of 9,635
Have some lost sense of what it means to be an audiophile?
I consider myself to be an audiophile, but I always thought it meant "lover of sound". If the true meaning is "idiot with money" then I need to reconsider.. am I still an audiophile and - more importantly - do I want to be?

This has nothing to do with how one chooses to spend his money. I've bought some expensive stuff just because I liked the aesthetics and that is certainly not a practical reason.

May 8, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,549 of 9,635
I consider myself to be an audiophile, but I always thought it meant "lover of sound". If the true meaning is "idiot with money" then I need to reconsider.. am I still an audiophile and - more importantly - do I want to be?

This has nothing to do with how one chooses to spend his money. I've bought some expensive stuff just because I liked the aesthetics and that is certainly not a practical reason.

Aesthetics and looks was certainly part of why I bought the Axios

May 8, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #4,550 of 9,635
Ok, but we're talking about $100 *extra*. Have we lost sense of the true value of $100?
They are a custom connector as the cover is made of wood. So that is why it's more than other 4.4

May 8, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4,551 of 9,635
They are a custom connector as the cover is made of wood. So that is why it's more than other 4.4
Are you actually trying to justify the price? What is so custom about them? Are they going to etch my face in the wood? If you're referring to this:

1588966842823.png

"Precisely" ... "carefully" ... Color me impressed. Takes 10 minutes max. That will be $100, please!

What annoys me is, OK, charge me $1000 for your innovative braiding and wire mixing design that cleans up the bass, expands soundstage and improves the air in the highs (you know the story), but don't ask me to shell an extra $100 for a connector that cost you $4.99.

It's like going to a restaurant, I'm willing to pay extra for the meal, but don't sell me the bottled beer at 10 times the price you buy it for at the supermarket.

Is it just me? :)

May 8, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4,552 of 9,635
Agree with you. many people say that CD Audio sucks, for me it doesn't suck just cause it is 16/44.1. I've also heard Hi-res and SACD that do suck.. is the mastering, mixing, recording and editing goofs that make a recording suck and not the container format (exceptif it was.lossy or MQA recorded on purpose)

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #4,553 of 9,635
Are you actually trying to justify the price? What is so custom about them? Are they going to etch my face in the wood? If you're referring to this:

1588966842823.png

"Precisely" ... "carefully" ... Color me impressed. Takes 10 minutes max. That will be $100, please!

What annoys me is, OK, charge me $1000 for your innovative braiding and wire mixing design that cleans up the bass, expands soundstage and improves the air in the highs (you know the story), but don't ask me to shell an extra $100 for a connector that cost you $4.99.

It's like going to a restaurant, I'm willing to pay extra for the meal, but don't sell me the bottled beer at 10 times the price you buy it for at the supermarket.

Is it just me? :)
It’s not just you. I agree, it’s a lot of money for not much return. I don’t see why someone should have to pay an extra $100 for a termination that probably costs the same (or thereabouts) as all the others. It should just be built into the overall price of the cable.

Didn’t stop me from buying it though lol. I like 4.4mm.

May 8, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #4,554 of 9,635
Agree with you. many people say that CD Audio sucks, for me it doesn't suck just cause it is 16/44.1. I've also heard Hi-res and SACD that do suck.. is the mastering, mixing, recording and editing goofs that make a recording suck and not the container format (exceptif it was.lossy or MQA recorded on purpose)
Like I've been saying to anyone willing to listen recently, the biggest source of disappoint for me has become the quality of the music itself (recording, mixing, mastering) rather than the quality of my own gear.

May 8, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #4,555 of 9,635
It’s not just you. I agree, it’s a lot of money for not much return. I don’t see why someone should have to pay an extra $100 for a termination that probably costs the same (or thereabouts) as all the others. It should just be built into the overall price of the cable.

Didn’t stop me from buying it though lol. I like 4.4mm.
You know I'm a skeptic, but dude, where dem impressions/review at? You've had it for more than a week now! :) Oh, and be sure to take lots of pictures too.

May 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #4,556 of 9,635
its all gone wrong. last night i was checking different genres out including some beautiful Diana Krall. the instruments in particular stood out with some vocal jazz in the twilight hours. initially i was really over the moon with the z1r a true piece of art and build quality is fantastic. wide stage everything with my chord stack. then i noticed a build up of heat after about 30 minutes which became intolerable. from wednesday till now i must have tried headband settings 1 to 7 with no joy. the headphone is as light as a feather but it seems the memory foam doesn't breath as an earlier poster stated. the heat reincarnates itself as added mechanical pressure causing more physical discomfort. a nasty catch 22 for me. i can't understand how others tolerate this.

the good news is that my oppo pm1 terminated with a hand made pure silver cable is so easy and light and the pads are perforated and breath. it's been my main headphone for the last 18 months. the musical presentation is easily in the same league as the sony and almost identical in many ways with careful immediate a/b testing. i take some comfort here. unless something miraculous happens tonight i will very reluctantly have to start the returns procedure tomorrow. i'm considering the denon 9200 next. bitter sweet episode.

May 8, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #4,557 of 9,635
You know I'm a skeptic, but dude, where dem impressions/review at? You've had it for more than a week now! :) Oh, and be sure to take lots of pictures too.

Will do ASAP mate :wink: haven’t had much time to listen this week. Working hard to afford nice things, but can’t enjoy the nice things because of working too hard...

May 8, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #4,558 of 9,635
its all gone wrong. last night i was checking different genres out including some beautiful Diana Krall. the instruments in particular stood out with some vocal jazz in the twilight hours. initially i was really over the moon with the z1r a true piece of art and build quality is fantastic. wide stage everything with my chord stack. then i noticed a build up of heat after about 30 minutes which became intolerable. from wednesday till now i must have tried headband settings 1 to 7 with no joy. the headphone is as light as a feather but it seems the memory foam doesn't breath as an earlier poster stated. the heat reincarnates itself as added mechanical pressure causing more physical discomfort. a nasty catch 22 for me. i can't understand how others tolerate this.

the good news is that my oppo pm1 terminated with a hand made pure silver cable is so easy and light and the pads are perforated and breath. it's been my main headphone for the last 18 months. the musical presentation is easily in the same league as the sony and almost identical in many ways with careful immediate a/b testing. i take some comfort here. unless something miraculous happens tonight i will very reluctantly have to start the returns procedure tomorrow. i'm considering the denon 9200 next. bitter sweet episode.

Are you in a very hot and humid environment or do you generally sweat a lot ?
I have in 3 1/2 years near daily use in 2-3 hour sessions not experienced anything like that.

May 8, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #4,559 of 9,635

Comfort is paramount. If it doesn't work for you, no need to force it.

I also get some issues with heat, but then, I just take them off for 20 seconds and then put them back on. So far, it's been working for me.

May 8, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #4,560 of 9,635
i do have difficulty finding HI END cans that are comfortable for me. so for any newcomers don't let my experience put you off at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back