Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,711 of 9,645
Not a fan of the Sony Kimber collaboration. I have it as well.
The Axios is in a different league (but unfortunately also a different price)

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,712 of 9,645
I tried an Axios copper/silver. Did not like it at all - "emasculated" the sound and turned it into something the designers did not intent (imho)
I went with Axio all copper - major upgrade
I second the AXIOS-Cu, a major upgrade.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,713 of 9,645
It's good to keep in mind the Kimber Kable Sony has manufactured has been carefully designed specifically for the Z1R.
Just got mine a month ago, love that cable, sound s very good.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,715 of 9,645
Glad I'm not the only one! I'm sure the Axios Cu is fantastic, but for what the Axios costs, I'm having a lot more fun with my new pair of Cascade's.
Right, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a cable. Especially since the stock cable doesn't sound bad. I'd rather invest in a new sets of cans as well.

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,718 of 9,645
I have a surprise cable that is silver and is an excellent match for the Sony Z1R. I will warn you it is so cheap that most of you will not take this recommendation seriously. The fact is that this headphone cable was used over the stock for demonstrating the Sony Z1R and Questyle at Axpona says something about the sound. I honestly thought it was a joke and left it on the shelf for a month.
Audiocadabra cable is not a joke!

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,719 of 9,645
Well this guy likes his Sony/Kimber more than Axios.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,720 of 9,645
It's good to keep in mind the Kimber Kable Sony has manufactured has been carefully designed specifically for the Z1R.

I use the Kimber MUC-B20SB1 but have never used any others for comparison, not even the ones that came with the Z1R. But it’s nice, so I simply go along.

It’s amazingly irregular (at Head-Fi) to have a whole group in a row endorsing a mega-buck cable! Cheers!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,721 of 9,645
I don't consider the AXIOS-Cu a mega-buck cable. For me a cable costing more $1,000 is the entry into mega-buck territory.

People have raved about the AXIOS-Ag but I couldn't justify buying a cable that cost more than the headphones.

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,722 of 9,645
I’m also very happy with the Axios CU but have not heard any other third party cables

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,724 of 9,645
I use the Kimber MUC-B20SB1 but have never used any others for comparison, not even the ones that came with the Z1R. But it’s nice, so I simply go along.

It’s amazingly irregular (at Head-Fi) to have a whole group in a row endorsing a mega-buck cable! Cheers!

Enjoy!
Well I actually used the stock cable and there is nothing wrong with it. Legions of HeadFiers use the HD650 stock cable and are happy. I reterminated one with a 4 pin XLR plug and was very surprised on how this cable is made. It has two lanes and inside each lane there is the signal and the ground wire. Those are isolated against each other by a layer of enamel paint, nothing more. So I soldered the XLR plug to this very basic cable and it sounds very good.
I got the Sony/Kimber because cables tend to break over time and I want to be on the safe side with the headphone side screw on connectors.

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,725 of 9,645
I may not understand the reference, but who are you referring to?

I have no idea what you are asking I just watched that video.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back