Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,696 of 9,643
Have had my Z1R and TA-ZH1ES for about 4 days now and I am loving it. Along with my WM1A this is a special system. I bought balanced silver cables and the sound is not dark or overly smooth but is very extended at both ends with a lively midrange. The sound stage was a little small out of the box but has opened up with use and feels very much like a very good open headphone now.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,697 of 9,643
The Z1R is like as if they took the Z7 sound and just smoothed it right out. Also seems like they didn't put the vocals way out in front like the Z7 did.

BTW here's a video of the Sony Taiyo Factory with all the models that they manufacturer on display (MDR-Z1R, MDR-Z7, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-EX800ST, MDR-EX1000, XBA-Z5, Q010-MDR1, MDR-SA5000, etc), and how the Z1R is made on the production line.

Here they mentioned how the Z1R is tuned differently compare to the Z7.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,698 of 9,643
Quick question for Z1R/ragnarok owners, i can hear a humming with the speaker/headphone setting even at low gain, but when using just the headphone out the background is quiet. Is this normal behavior?
The Raganarok sounds great with the Z1R but all the quicks and button pushing of settings and different gains for headphones and speakers is starting to annoy me.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,699 of 9,643
I had my Z1R that I needed to sell (sold locally to a friend) back home for a few weeks and what a lovely sounding headphone. I still feel that as a signature, for me, the Z1R is special. So much to like, not perfect, but darn musical and engaging. Glad others continue to enjoy it.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,700 of 9,643
Quick question for Z1R/ragnarok owners, i can hear a humming with the speaker/headphone setting even at low gain, but when using just the headphone out the background is quiet. Is this normal behavior?
The Raganarok sounds great with the Z1R but all the quicks and button pushing of settings and different gains for headphones and speakers is starting to annoy me.

Can't comment on the Rag, but I hear absolutely zero hum with my GS-X Mk2, Gilmore Lite Mk2, DAVE or Hugo 2 and my Z1Rs.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,703 of 9,643

I wonder if it might be a ground loop you experience causing the hum

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #1,707 of 9,643
For Z1R owners, I highly recommend listening to Nightfall by Till Bronner & Dieter Ilg, starting with A Thousand Kisses Deep. This track (and the whole album) showcases the Z1R's strengths. Incredible album, and is perfect on these headphones.

Thanks for the recommedation, i would add Yoshi Horikawa, very interesting artist and his recordings showcases the great soundstage on the Z1R
https://www.discogs.com/es/artist/1139200-Yosi-Horikawa

https://yosihorikawa.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,708 of 9,643
Hi, for the Z1R as a cable upgrade would be better a full copper cable or a hybrid half copper and half silver cable? Thanks

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,709 of 9,643
I tried an Axios copper/silver. Did not like it at all - "emasculated" the sound and turned it into something the designers did not intent (imho)
I went with Axio all copper - major upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back