Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #241 of 502
I tried them last Friday when they were finally available for sales in my area. They fit much better than the WF-1000x(flush with ear, not sticking out) and the carrying case is even smaller than the WF-1000x's which surprised me a little as the photos I have seen from online reviews made me feel they would be larger than it actually is. I think they isolate well enough that I don't hear the chatter and store music playing when my music is playing, though I can still hear ambient noise if nothing is playing on my phone.Touch controls could get some getting used to but I think they work better than the BeoPlay H9 that I used to have. From my short listening I would say they are about on par sound-wise, the E8 seems to be a little more sibilant, but there seem to be a little channel imbalance between the 2 sides as well(confirmed by my girlfirend when she tried them next) so it may be a faulty unit. Highlighted the problem to the shop and may drop by again some time later to try them out again to see if the problem persists, would have bought them straight if it weren't for the little channel imbalance and sharp highs; really like that the earphone sit flush in my ears and that the carrying case is maybe half the size that of the WF-1000x.

Connection-wise, as I have stated multiple times in this thread I did not face any major connection issue with the WF-1000x, likewise the E8 has a very stable connection throughout my short listen(maybe 20mins). But there seems to be few people with intermittent dropout problem on Amazon's review section as well so I think this will vary between users(areas?) as well. Also, they seem to require a higher volume to play at the same level as my WF-1000x, I usually get loud enough sound at half volume of my iPhone 7 but I find myself almost maxing the iPhone 7 volume rocker when I paired them with the E8, so people who are already maxing their phone's volume with the WF-1000x might want to find some place to try them before purchase.

I’m at a little over half volume with E8 from iPhone8

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #242 of 502
I’m at a little over half volume with E8 from iPhone8

Do the B&O automatically power on when you remove them from the case? I’m not sure if this is a thing with all truly wireless buds or not.

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #243 of 502
Do the B&O automatically power on when you remove them from the case? I’m not sure if this is a thing with all truly wireless buds or not.

No I have to actively turn them on

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #244 of 502
No I have to actively turn them on
Awww... I like the way B&O have the controls mapped out on them. But one of my favorite features of the AirPods is that they turn on and off on their own. This crosses over to the Sony wireless buds.

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #245 of 502
Awww... I like the way B&O have the controls mapped out on them. But one of my favorite features of the AirPods is that they turn on and off on their own. This crosses over to the Sony wireless buds.

They turn of when put in the case

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #247 of 502
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #248 of 502
So I tried to return these yesterday but they didn't have enough money in the till to credit me back cash. Is this a sign I should keep them :p Seriously though, I'm so gutted that these don't perform well. Saw them in person and thought they looked very nice :frowning2: Does anyone have these and like them?

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #249 of 502
So I tried to return these yesterday but they didn't have enough money in the till to credit me back cash. Is this a sign I should keep them :p Seriously though, I'm so gutted that these don't perform well. Saw them in person and thought they looked very nice :frowning2: Does anyone have these and like them?
Yes for what its worth I like them.
For completely wireless headphones the sound is more than acceptable.
Its obviously better through apple devices using AAC, but even on android its good.

There's the hidden shortcoming that the battery life isnt 3 hours when not using AAC but I can live with it

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #250 of 502
They are very nice, they sound really good but only if you plan on using indoors but for outside use I cannot recommend. For outdoor use you have a lot of better options.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #251 of 502
I just picked up a set of E8s. After reading the mostly overwhelming complaints of drop outs, I couldn't see trying them out.

Got the last set from the local best buy here, so far so good

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #253 of 502
So I was sitting at my desk listening to these and stroking my patchy beard that needed shaving... And the right 'bud started cutting out whenever I made a stroke from my beard to the side of my mouth. Static electricity comes to mind, could they be the reason for these pesky issues? More specifically, static electricity that is near the path of electromagnetic signal between the buds? This could help explain why it's more prevalent while on the go.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #254 of 502
That's great you like the samsung iconx 2018, they are solid must buy, I started another thread for the iconx 2018 so we don't clutter this thread. I doubt it's static electricity, I think it's the tech they are using,

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #255 of 502
Thanks so much guys for all your opinions. I think I'm going to wait another year for the technology to mature a bit. Reading reviews online and here seem to indicate that that tech is very young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back