Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #422 of 1,079
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #423 of 1,079
Mildly sluggish, swapping between apps is a bit slow

Sounds like the experience on a ZX500/A100, sadly. Snapdragon 660 that I see it's being used on certain new DAPs should be much better.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #424 of 1,079
Sounds like the experience on a ZX500/A100, sadly. Snapdragon 660 that I see it's being used on certain new DAPs should be much better.
And thats why I just went and bought the last WM1Z in Sony stores in Singapore. Sound wise both the WM1Z and WM1ZM2 are really close but the new one is just more layered and positioning is better.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #426 of 1,079
And thats why I just went and bought the last WM1Z in Sony stores in Singapore. Sound wise both the WM1Z and WM1ZM2 are really close but the new one is just more layered and positioning is better.

I wonder how big is the difference in layering/positioning, for example, on the new WM1Z vs a hardware modded WM1Z (or a hardware modded WM1A with the WM1Z sound signature, from the Walkman One firmware).

Hardware mods for 1A/1Z can include an additional supercap, and Audio Note caps for the amping/power supply side.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #428 of 1,079
Yay! Congratulation!!

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #429 of 1,079
To be honest this releases look on paper kinda underwhelming. After 6 years I was expecting all new design inside and out and they are wm1a/z with added android with only minor changes.

We should see more people's thoughts about the sound soon, I guess.

I like the Type C connector for now, and how the players look overall. I don't like the missing BT Receiver function. Maybe they'll add it later. They added BT Receiver and USB DAC modes after some time on the 1A/Z.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #430 of 1,079
Yay! Congratulation!!
Thanks hoofman! Maybe we might bump into each other at canjam this year!
I wonder how big is the difference in layering/positioning, for example, on the new WM1Z vs a hardware modded WM1Z (or a hardware modded WM1A with the WM1Z sound signature, from the Walkman One firmware).

Hardware mods for 1A/1Z can include an additional supercap, and Audio Note caps for the amping/power supply side.
I'm sorry if my description of the sound is a bit sparse but I was most taken aback by the feel in the hand than anything else. I wanted that feel but not for 5000SGD so I went with the old WM1Z

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #431 of 1,079
To be honest this releases look on paper kinda underwhelming. After 6 years I was expecting all new design inside and out and they are wm1a/z with added android with only minor changes.
Uhm? This is exactly what it is.

The old WM1Z used an 500mF double layer capacitor, 1 OS-CON and 13 FTCAP. So 14 Wound Capacitors and 1 Double Layer.

The new WM1Z uses 20 FTCAP3 (the first and only device that uses this new developed capacitor which is the core of the Sony sound) in different sizes and in a different configuration than before and in a different board layout. So 20 wound capacitors vs 14, one of them replacing the double layer and a new version of the S-Master HX

The LCs and relayes stayed the same, yes, but there is pretty much no room for improvement there anyway. 8mm is already the limit for an device of this size.

They put a newer version of the Digital Amp in and replaced pretty much all capacitors inside the device + added new ones and also replaced everything in the digital part, the screen and so on. There is literally nothing more you can change, they replaced almost everything that was inside the WM1Z.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #432 of 1,079
In any case, I don't see the sound difference between two players like these being all about the copper enclosure vs aluminium and different wires.

I understand that the better caps in the classic WM1Z provide an edge over a WM1A with the WM1Z sound, but these new players are using the same components on the main PCB.

But all this is a different topic of discussion.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #433 of 1,079
Is stupid... Only stupid at this price inadmissible
Don't blame Sony for actually playing by the rules (as opposed to all the China makers as far as I'm aware), blame EU for making the rule

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #434 of 1,079
did we get upgrade only for walkman or for Z1R headphones as well?

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #435 of 1,079
In any case, I don't see the sound difference between two players like these being all about the copper enclosure vs aluminium and different wires.

I understand that the better caps in the classic WM1Z provide an edge over a WM1A with the WM1Z sound, but these new players are using the same components on the main PCB.

But all this is a different topic of discussion.
That is what Sony says too.

According to the Project Members, the difference between the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 is much smaller than the difference between WM1Z and WM1A. And also they no longer differ in sound signature.

The WM1A and WM1Z had not just a difference in sound quality but small differences in sound signature too. This no longer exists with the M2, they have the exact same tuning/sound signature.

According to their description, there is only a marginal difference in sound stage and clarity due to the lower/flatter impedance of the copper chassy.

So i think while with the current model there was an advantage when buying an WM1Z, for most people that is gone. I'd assume that the majority of listeners would not be able to pick them apart in a blind test. So its a matter of how much are you willing to pay for the last quantum of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back