Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #407 of 1,079
How will warranty be if we buy directly from Japan?
The old WM1Z was covered by Sonys Worldwide Warranty. So buy anywhere and you get the warranty in your country. Hopefully the new one is covered by that too but there is no information (yet)

https://www.sony.jp/overseas/contents/pdf/walkman.pdf
https://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/info.html#info02

Sony Store Japan also offers Tax Free Shopping, that means you're saving the 10% Japanese Tax when you buy directly in japan.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #408 of 1,079
The old WM1Z was covered by Sonys Worldwide Warranty. So buy anywhere and you get the warranty in your country. Hopefully the new one is covered by that too but there is no information (yet)

https://www.sony.jp/overseas/contents/pdf/walkman.pdf

Sony Store Japan also offers Tax Free Shopping, that means you're saving the 10% Japanese Tax when you buy directly in japan.
That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing. I'll explore amazon.jp shopping then. I have never done that before. How does that work? I need to create an amazon.jp account, then go to Sony store over there and choose oversea shipping or something? I wanted to try this many years ago but stopped because back then we had to use 3rd party forwarding service and that was so troublesome.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #409 of 1,079
That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing. I'll explore amazon.jp shopping then. I have never done that before. How does that work? I need to create an amazon.jp account, then go to Sony store over there and choose oversea shipping or something? I wanted to try this many years ago but stopped because back then we had to use 3rd party forwarding service and that was so troublesome.
amazon.co.jp does not ship the WM1ZM2 worldwide (they did not ship the old WM1Z either)

Go to tenso.com, they'll give you a address in Japan. You use that address to buy it and they will forward it to where you actually life. Since this month, they can also handle taxes for you when you ship via DHL, so the package goes to your door and you don't have to pick it up from customs.

I use Tenso since 2012 (i import 2-3times per month from Japan) and never had a single problem. Its easy and straightforward.

You need an amazon.co.jp account, yes, they don't work with other amazon accounts (due to different prices for prime, other terms/conditions and so on).

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #410 of 1,079
WM1A/Z M2 seems to have a Battery Care function now - ZX500/A100 doesn't have it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #411 of 1,079
I used Zenmarket once for a small item and had a good experience with them, I think they may offer to undervalue.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #413 of 1,079
I got my ZX507 from Amazon Japan to UK and no issue, show all cost upfront for taxes/shipping. (unless Sony block like they have before)

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #414 of 1,079
If ANY DAP lasts you 5y that's a great investment I'd say, even at $3400. Max I've gone with the same DAP so far is one year.
Depends on your wealth/sense :shrug:

I could actual afford to buy the Z but would never buy and look to the A. Some things are just too expensive to justify.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #415 of 1,079
I got my ZX507 from Amazon Japan to UK and no issue, show all cost upfront for taxes/shipping. (unless Sony block like they have before)
It works for the ZX507, but sadly not for the WM1Z. I don't know why but neither the WM1Z nor the WM1ZM2 support worldwide shipping. If you change to a non-japanese address, they just disappear. And if you use an direct access link, it says "Not available at your place" or something like that.

But since Tenso supports DHL, its also very easy and straightforward as you can pay Taxes via PayPal while the shipping is in progress.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #416 of 1,079
Same - capped. That's one perk of Brexit, I guess.
UK have yet to repeal most EU regulations so until they do that the EU volume cap will still apply to UK

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #419 of 1,079
Probably it will possible to buy from Accessory Jack. Not sure about Amazon Japan, I don't think it's possible unless you're using some sort of forwarding service.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #420 of 1,079
Regarding the volume cap:
Screenshot_20220209-115216_Chrome.jpg

Even if the volume can be turned up after the warning, there should still be a volume limit, as in a non-EU player should sound louder at maximum volume when compared to an EU one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back