Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #5,191 of 8,223
Wait till you hear Plus v2 :gs1000smile:. It's a game changer.

I'm also using it (on Midnight v2, and the Project Z tuning, and Sony Z7M2) , with Different DAC mode on, Gain mod on, and MX3 (which sounds really good indeed). For now I really don't feel the need to try anything else.

I feel like I really like how Direct Source sounds with those settings and Plus v2. I didn't use Direct Source in a long time.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #5,193 of 8,223
I urge you and everyone else to try MX3 region. I’ve always thought it’s the best but never used it due to the fact that it doesn’t support the remote, well now the remote is supported in all regions and I’m a happy camper. MX3 is just so alive and it feels like all frequencies are done perfectly. Nothing is in your face or too much or too little. Nothing is dialled back or dialled forward. Just right. Try it. @MrWalkman hit the home run, yet again.

Absolutely support it!
I also did not immediately come to this, and the cause is a table that is published here once upon a time. It gave frequency characteristics for each region and I did not dare to try it for fear of excessive brightness at high frequencies. And yet the MX3 sounds awesome and not sharp at all!

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,194 of 8,223
As @tenedosian i am beginning to hate these FW mods, i see them as the reason qhy spby is not releasing anothwr cuatom os DAP, and insteas going android

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #5,195 of 8,223
As @tenedosian i am beginning to hate these FW mods, i see them as the reason qhy spby is not releasing anothwr cuatom os DAP, and insteas going android

Well, that's your choice, but clearly it doesn't mean it's true. If this would be true, then why did they release A105/ZX500 with Android? There were no firmware mods back then :)

Unless you can know exactly, why "hate" something based on an opinion?

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #5,196 of 8,223
Re: MX3 region

Just came here to say I've been using MX3 (FEv2+ CFW) for a couple days (I've previously been an E region stan). I like how slightly more resolving it comes across....miss the slight reverb we get with E, but otherwise, enjoying MX3 quite a bit. Looking forward to giving the new CFW's a spin.

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #5,197 of 8,223
I would be 99.99999999999999999% sure Sony is going for the $$$$ and catering for the streamers. The firmwares are a blessing because otherwise we would be stuck on the very average 3.02 with our only options being region changes, EQ or stock sound tweaks and dreams of the 1Z.

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5,198 of 8,223
I would be 99.99999999999999999% sure Sony is going for the $$$$ and catering for the streamers. The firmwares are a blessing because otherwise we would be stuck on the very average 3.02 with our only options being region changes, EQ or stock sound tweaks and dreams of the 1Z.
Pretty sure it was like 1.02 for the A55, that would mean its only received 2 actual updates in its lifetime at most. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's where it set stock.

They really don't do a whole lot in terms of updates. This FW is a blessing.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #5,199 of 8,223
Dawn and Midnight v2

This update wouldn't be possible without the generous donation
of a WM1A from Nayparm @ www.npaudio.uk (after having to sell mine).

Updates:
A settings system is now available, allowing you to set various things.
Details below.

A new Plus mode is now available. You can choose to use the old Plus mode
or the new Plus mode in the settings file mentioned above.
The new Plus mode should consume less battery than the old Plus mode, and
it should sound better.

One little downside of the new Plus mode is that when using the BT Receiver
mode or the USB DAC mode, the screen needs to stay on, otherwise the audio
can glitch on some of the players. Just reboot the player if it happens, by holding
the Power button for 8 seconds.

A new region is available, KR3, which can be set via the settings file.
This region doesn't exist in the destination tool.

The CEW2 region doesn't apply a volume limit anymore.
A new region available to try.

The FEv2 (for Dawn) and Project Z (for Midnight) tunings are also available
now, besides the normal Dawn/Midnight tunings.

The settings file will be found in the Internal Storage, in a folder named "CFW".
Also, there will be a boot_log.txt file in the same folder, where you can take a
look after you change settings in the settings file to see if everything was read
from the settings file and set accordingly.

The settings file includes options like:
- choosing the region of the player;
- choosing if you'd like to have the remote option with any region (not just J/E);
- choosing between the Plus v1 mode or the Plus v2 mode;
- choosing if you'd like to boot into the chosen Plus mode by default or not;
- choosing between standard/stock gain, or higher gain;
- choosing to initialize the DAC normally or "differently";
- choosing the color of the icons on the "Home" page of the player.

If you delete the settings or the boot log file, they will be created automatically
at the next boot. The settings file can be edited with any basic text editor, like
Notepad, or Notepad++. After editing the settings file and saving it, turn off the
Mass Storage mode before rebooting the player.

For more info about the available settings, just open the settings file and read it.

Having the settings system means that the destination tool cannot be used
anymore to change the region, as the system always makes sure that the region
on the device matches the one set in the settings file.

While the remote option is On, the actual region shown by the destination tool will
not be the one set in the settings file (which is intended). Still, the region set in the
settings file will be the one used for the sound. If you decide to use StockRevert, and
you have the remote option set to On, you should first set the remote option to Off,
reboot the player, and then use StockRevert. Otherwise, the device region will be E
after using StockRevert (which you can then easily change with the destination tool).

As always, if you're already using one of the past firmware mods, you'll have to
revert back to stock first before you can install one of these new versions.

You can find Dawn/Midnight v2 here.

Hope you'll like it!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #5,200 of 8,223
Well, that's your choice, but clearly it doesn't mean it's true. If this would be true, then why did they release A105/ZX500 with Android? There were no firmware mods back then :)

Unless you can know exactly, why "hate" something based on an opinion?
And ZX2 (and maybe ZX1 that I never had) were Android as well

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #5,201 of 8,223
Dawn and Midnight v2

This update wouldn't be possible without the generous donation
of a WM1A from Nayparm @ www.npaudio.uk (after having to sell mine).

Updates:
A settings system is now available, allowing you to set various things.
Details below.

A new Plus mode is now available. You can choose to use the old Plus mode
or the new Plus mode in the settings file mentioned above.
The new Plus mode should consume less battery than the old Plus mode, and
it should sound better.

One little downside of the new Plus mode is that when using the BT Receiver
mode or the USB DAC mode, the screen needs to stay on, otherwise the audio
can glitch on some of the players. Just reboot the player if it happens, by holding
the Power button for 8 seconds.

A new region is available, KR3, which can be set via the settings file.
This region doesn't exist in the destination tool.

The CEW2 region doesn't apply a volume limit anymore.
A new region available to try.

The FEv2 (for Dawn) and Project Z (for Midnight) tunings are also available
now, besides the normal Dawn/Midnight tunings.

The settings file will be found in the Internal Storage, in a folder named "CFW".
Also, there will be a boot_log.txt file in the same folder, where you can take a
look after you change settings in the settings file to see if everything was read
from the settings file and set accordingly.

The settings file includes options like:
- choosing the region of the player;
- choosing if you'd like to have the remote option with any region (not just J/E);
- choosing between the Plus v1 mode or the Plus v2 mode;
- choosing if you'd like to boot into the chosen Plus mode by default or not;
- choosing between standard/stock gain, or higher gain;
- choosing to initialize the DAC normally or "differently";
- choosing the color of the icons on the "Home" page of the player.

If you delete the settings or the boot log file, they will be created automatically
at the next boot. The settings file can be edited with any basic text editor, like
Notepad, or Notepad++.

For more info about the available settings, just open the settings file and read it.

Having the settings system means that the destination tool cannot be used
anymore to change the region, as the system always makes sure that the region
on the device matches the one set in the settings file.

As always, if you're already using one of the past firmware mods, you'll have to
revert back to stock first before you can install one of these new versions.

You can find Dawn/Midnight v2 here.

Hope you'll like it!
Thank you!

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,203 of 8,223

MrWalkman, my friend,​

Midnight v2 and Dawn v2

I found there two identical files with equal size and names. Are they still different or is it a repeat?​

It's mentioned on the download page:
1629495517956.png

So the archive contains both Dawn and Midnight, together with the stock revert package.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,204 of 8,223
It's mentioned on the download page:
1629495517956.png

So the archive contains both Dawn and Midnight, together with the stock revert package.
Yes,
Who will read the fine print at a time of such significant events.
I didn’t even have time to tell you my deep gratitude for all the work done and for taking care of your humble admirers. Thank you very much!

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #5,205 of 8,223
Yes,
Who will read the fine print at a time of such significant events.
I didn’t even have time to tell you my deep gratitude for all the work done and for taking care of your humble admirers. Thank you very much!

Thanks!

Maybe I should've made one page for both. In any case, there is only one stock revert package, so I thought I should just archive both Dawn and Midnight together with the stock revert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back