Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 16, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4,696 of 8,223
Are there any tools for downgrade the firmware? too late I have upgraded to 3.02
I think I will more like version 3.01 because it said good for all types of music and very dynamic

frimware sound.jpg
You just instal an earlier fw

May 17, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,697 of 8,223
Forgive me if this has been answered, but is FEv2 different than Dawn? I see it is based on DMP-WM1 FE firmware, but I see a lot of posts mentioning FEv2, which does not appear to be available at https://www.mrwalkman.ml for download?

Haven't tried either yet, but was thinking Dawn would be best suited on the 1Z with warm tilting iems. Thoughts on best CFW for the 1Z?

May 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #4,698 of 8,223
Forgive me if this has been answered, but is FEv2 different than Dawn? I see it is based on DMP-WM1 FE firmware, but I see a lot of posts mentioning FEv2, which does not appear to be available at https://www.mrwalkman.ml for download?

Haven't tried either yet, but was thinking Dawn would be best suited on the 1Z with warm tilting iems. Thoughts on best CFW for the 1Z?
I don’t think V2 is exactly the same as Dawn as there are people who prefer the one over the other, but both are based on DMP while Midnight has some 1Z tuning in the mix

May 17, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #4,699 of 8,223

FEv2 has the DMP-Z1 tuning and was released before it was renamed to Dawn (FEv3). So Dawn has a slightly different tuning but is still based on the DMP-Z1.

May 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,700 of 8,223
May 19, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,701 of 8,223
FEv2 has the DMP-Z1 tuning and was released before it was renamed to Dawn (FEv3). So Dawn has a slightly different tuning but is still based on the DMP-Z1.
I’m having a hard time un-hearing the DMP-VM1 FEv2 / reg.E combinatio. I tried the Dawn, cause that is a v3 and is probably “better”! But no, the v2 wins. But I have to mention that any suggestions from anyone in this forum, helps. Any description helps and using your own words are always helpful. By trying a lot of suggestions, I’ve gone from wanting lots of bass to this v2 with lots of details and sub when called for!

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #4,702 of 8,223
I’m having a hard time un-hearing the DMP-VM1v2 / reg.E combinatio. I tried the Dawn, cause that is a v3 and is probably “better”! But no, the v2 wins. But I have to mention that any suggestions from anyone in this forum, helps. Any description helps and using your own words are always helpful. By trying a lot of suggestions, I’ve gone from wanting lots of bass to this v2 with lots of details and sub when called for!
Which IEMs? I still need to give V2 a go - with my main 2 IEMs I definitely need a darker sounding player (hence being on midnight)

May 19, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #4,703 of 8,223
I’m having a hard time un-hearing the DMP-VM1v2 / reg.E combinatio. I tried the Dawn, cause that is a v3 and is probably “better”! But no, the v2 wins. But I have to mention that any suggestions from anyone in this forum, helps. Any description helps and using your own words are always helpful. By trying a lot of suggestions, I’ve gone from wanting lots of bass to this v2 with lots of details and sub when called for!
DMP-WM FEv2 has a sharper leading edge to the notes than Dawn leading to more attack/bite across the range, which for me presents a more realistic rendition of music. The DMP-Z1 focussed FEv2 delivers the bass as intended, clean & deep without overly boosting. FEv2 on region E results in a very detailed, powerful sound signature with a strong sense of presence and instrument separation.

Midnight, Project Z adds more colour to the bass regions, treble is generally softer/dialled back in comparison to FEv2, especially in the case of region J presenting average bass, a solid midrange & further accentuating the softer treble of Midnight etc. Region E presents a stronger sub bass and some elevation in the mid's through the treble.

Dawn, Midnight & Project Z for me all tended to have a slight reverb issue on Plus mode with some albums (late 70's/early 80's rock), FEv2 plays cleanly on both Classic & Plus. Midnight & Project Z can also feel overly expanded at times in the vocals, almost like a smearing effect. Potentially as the music was never recorded with such an expanded sound stage in mind.

Personal taste and headgear are big factors as is acclimation. If any are considering the switch of region and or CFW they should also give the set up some time to adjust to the new sounds signature.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #4,704 of 8,223
Yeah, I have settled into FEv2 (Plus) on Region E. My WM1A continues to burn-in (as of this moment, 102 hours on 4.4mm out). So glad things played out as they did and I was able to land a brand new WM1A, and much appreciation to Mr.Walkman. I sincerely hope things are o.k. with him; I miss his presence around head-fi, even forgetting about his CFW's.

May 19, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,705 of 8,223
Which IEMs? I still need to give V2 a go - with my main 2 IEMs I definitely need a darker sounding player (hence being on midnight)
64audio’s Tia Fourte & at first I didn’t know how dark or light they where, but with DD drive in the bass, they are a darker type. And they play great with the FEv2 in reg.E. The description from Queen6 is spot on and couldn’t be more precise! 👍

May 19, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #4,706 of 8,223
Dawn (FEv3) has a different tuning and may not necessarily be better depending on preference and gear. Each iteration of the firmware has sight different tuning and this is done to cater for different tastes and synergy. That’s why its recommended to firmware roll and find the one that you like the best. With that said, i too am impartial towards FEv2 (with an unreleased test tuning) since recently as it embodies the perfect amount of control, musicality and coherence in presenting the music for me. All frequencies sound right and timbre is spot on. I’m on J region but may go back to E and see if i like it too as suggested by @Queen6

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,707 of 8,223
Dawn (FEv3) has a different tuning and may not necessarily be better depending on preference and gear. Each iteration of the firmware has sight different tuning and this is done to cater for different tastes and synergy. That’s why its recommended to firmware roll and find the one that you like the best. With that said, i too am impartial towards FEv2 (with an unreleased test tuning) since recently as it embodies the perfect amount of control, musicality and coherence in presenting the music for me. All frequencies sound right and timbre is spot on. I’m on J region but may go back to E and see if i like it too as suggested by @Queen6
Same as the DAP & headgear it's all very much down to synergy; DMP-WM FEv2 on region E really compliments. As the track demands the WM1A digs deep and delivers cleanly way above and beyond what stock Sony 3.02 can. Midnight on region J trades energy & detail for a smoother & safer presentation with boosted bass.

Spectacular - 96 kHz/24 bit on DMP-WM FEv2 & Region E
1500x1500bb.jpg
The Dogs Of War :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Q-6

May 20, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #4,708 of 8,223
My zx300 is beginning to fail with different problems (unexpected reboots, the SE output just died after some months giving problems...).
So now i have a question, i'm doubting between repairing it or upgrading to WM1A or Lotoo Paw 6000. Wm1a's size is something that really concerns me because i want something to use everyday in & out, but apart from that, speaking strictly about sound, can anyone here compare LP6K and WM1A with mr.walkman's magic sauce?

As i've understood reading different reviews and opinions, with the stock firmware they were more similar than different, being the Lotoo a little better in technical aspects (clarity, soundstage, layering). However opinions vary depending on personal tastes associated with tuning. But i haven't seen a comparison now that the Sony is enjoying a new life. Has anyone both to compare (or even with the zx300 firmware modded)?

They would feed my Campfire Atlas and sometimes my Audeze LCD2 Classic (which don't have great sinergy to my ears with Sonys because of their lack of power, so it gives a slight edge to the Lotoo again).

Really interested in knowing different experiences, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #4,709 of 8,223
My zx300 is beginning to fail with different problems (unexpected reboots, the SE output just died after some months giving problems...).
So now i have a question, i'm doubting between repairing it or upgrading to WM1A or Lotoo Paw 6000. Wm1a's size is something that really concerns me because i want something to use everyday in & out, but apart from that, speaking strictly about sound, can anyone here compare LP6K and WM1A with mr.walkman's magic sauce?

As i've understood reading different reviews and opinions, with the stock firmware they were more similar than different, being the Lotoo a little better in technical aspects (clarity, soundstage, layering). However opinions vary depending on personal tastes associated with tuning. But i haven't seen a comparison now that the Sony is enjoying a new life. Has anyone both to compare (or even with the zx300 firmware modded)?

They would feed my Campfire Atlas and sometimes my Audeze LCD2 Classic (which don't have great sinergy to my ears with Sonys because of their lack of power, so it gives a slight edge to the Lotoo again).

Really interested in knowing different experiences, thanks in advance!
In your shoes A&K SR25 springs to mind, double the power of the WM1A and sweet in the middle :sunglasses: 1A & LP6K used and well loved is the way to go. SR25 is a very under estimated DAP, listen and you'll know why...

Q-6

May 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #4,710 of 8,223
In your shoes A&K SR25 springs to mind, double the power of the WM1A and sweet in the middle :sunglasses: 1A & LP6K used and well loved is the way to go. SR25 is a very under estimated DAP, listen and you'll know why...

Q-6
how do you compare SR25 vs WM1A on Mr.Walkman's FW? Both the sound and the daily usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back