Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,546 of 8,217
Okay yeah region U isn't for me lol. It is quite unforgiving, harshness, much more present than region J and DSEE HX makes virtually little difference. at least in my case.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #4,547 of 8,217
Okay yeah region U isn't for me lol. It is quite unforgiving, harshness, much more present than region J and DSEE HX makes virtually little difference. at least in my case.
CN is good if you are after ultimate resolution and clarity; however, trade off is its less holographic

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #4,548 of 8,217
^^^ Ahhh, o.k., didn't realize I needed to revert to stock before going to a different CFW. I assumed I could directly move from Midnight to Dawn. Thanks for the headsup. I'll give it a shot later. Enjoying Midnight (Plus) so much right now, but still curious about Dawn.
This is the way

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,549 of 8,217
CN is good if you are after ultimate resolution and clarity; however, trade off is its less holographic
Can someone fill me in on what they mean by less or more holographic sound? Not the first time ive heard of it but ive never really figured it out on what it meant.

I just always assumed it was how strong/present the distinctions are between different sounds are, kind of similar to soundstage but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #4,550 of 8,217
Can someone fill me in on what they mean by less or more holographic sound? Not the first time ive heard of it but ive never really figured it out on what it meant.

I just always assumed it was how strong/present the distinctions are between different sounds are, kind of similar to soundstage but I'm sure I'm wrong.
It probably means a little something different to everyone who interprets it, but to me, it is when you get closer to being able to pinpoint the direction and placement of different instruments and vocals within a song, not only from left to right, but also front to back and high to low. So in fact, IMO, the depth and width of the soundstage does play a major factor in having a holographic sound. Add to that, being able to capture what you perceive to be accurate instrument resonation also gives the impression of spatial distance between the instruments playing. Then again, I could be off base as well! :wink:

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #4,552 of 8,217

IMO and in lay man terms, holographic sounds is like hearing the music around you as opposed to in front of you. So the more holographic it sounds, the instruments and vocals will be placed around you, more 3D like and thus it’s easier to pick up the separation of all instruments. Otherwise the sound just plays out in front of you and you only get the usual stereo left and right tilt from the recording. Some great binaural recordings will give you a better idea of how it’s done right.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #4,553 of 8,217
Hi. Can someone confirm If I need to install Stock Revert before moving from Midnight to Dawn, or can I just install Dawn and it'll override Midnight? I have the WM1A and currently on Midnight. Sorry if this is a noob question or if it has already been answered earlier.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,554 of 8,217
IMO and in lay man terms, holographic sounds is like hearing the music around you as opposed to in front of you. So the more holographic it sounds, the instruments and vocals will be placed around you, more 3D like and thus it’s easier to pick up the separation of all instruments. Otherwise the sound just plays out in front of you and you only get the usual stereo left and right tilt from the recording. Some great binaural recordings will give you a better idea of how it’s done right.
I see. Thank you.

In that case i tend to keep my music pretty strong on the holographic side.

Infact That's 1 of the 2 things my Walkman actually does worse than my phone which is a bit disappointing to say lol. Granted i do only have an NW-A55, im sure thatll change if i get a better player or possibly when or if the new firmware reaches this series.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #4,555 of 8,217

Holographic sound is partially in reference to imaging. Imagining is in direct reference to transit response, which is tested with waterfall graphs. So it is a combination of everything, the imaging/transient nature of playback with your DAP and how well transients/imaging are performed with you IEMs. Each and every IEM does a different presentation. So one could still have a great transient response but place things out in front like you were seeing performers on a stage. Another IEM/DAP/Sound File could have more of an immersive experience where the music is all around you. There is no right or wrong, only preference. So it is distinction between musical elements, but it’s imaging through transients. Thus transients are a product of everything combined, DAP/Cable/IEM/Sound File.

To be able to witness this transient reproduction there is also partially a component of Frequency Response too, but I won’t go into it. But FR and Transients are interrelated.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #4,556 of 8,217
Hi. Can someone confirm If I need to install Stock Revert before moving from Midnight to Dawn, or can I just install Dawn and it'll override Midnight? I have the WM1A and currently on Midnight. Sorry if this is a noob question or if it has already been answered earlier.
Kindly ignore this question... Figured this one out. Thanks

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #4,557 of 8,217
Kindly ignore this question... Figured this one out. Thanks
Glad you sorted it out. Rule of thumb is always run the stock revert of the corresponding firmware before installing a new custom firmware. Always.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,558 of 8,217

Holographic soundstage means kind of surround sound effect or like binaural. Instruments coming from all around tou. As opposed to 2D in front of you
Holy crap. Listen to this track (but not on YouTube). I don’t know if it’s my Z1R’s doing it or the WM or what but wow. At about 2:30, the bass drops so low it’s just a rumble. I love it.

I have to xperiwnced so deep bass eumble too with both Z1Rs, especially with DSD music

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #4,559 of 8,217
Holographic sound is partially in reference to imaging. Imagining is in direct reference to transit response, which is tested with waterfall graphs. So it is a combination of everything, the imaging/transient nature of playback with your DAP and how well transients/imaging are performed with you IEMs. Each and every IEM does a different presentation. So one could still have a great transient response but place things out in front like you were seeing performers on a stage. Another IEM/DAP/Sound File could have more of an immersive experience where the music is all around you. There is no right or wrong, only preference. So it is distinction between musical elements, but it’s imaging through transients. Thus transients are a product of everything combined, DAP/Cable/IEM/Sound File.

To be able to witness this transient reproduction there is also partially a component of Frequency Response too, but I won’t go into it. But FR and Transients are interrelated.

Cheers!
This help me, actually. Thank you. The MDR-Z1R is also really good with this

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,560 of 8,217
It probably means a little something different to everyone who interprets it, but to me, it is when you get closer to being able to pinpoint the direction and placement of different instruments and vocals within a song, not only from left to right, but also front to back and high to low. So in fact, IMO, the depth and width of the soundstage does play a major factor in having a holographic sound. Add to that, being able to capture what you perceive to be accurate instrument resonation also gives the impression of spatial distance between the instruments playing. Then again, I could be off base as well! :wink:
This description is how I think of it. To get to this, a system needs to be able to reproduce micro details, as spacial clues are in the low level signal echoes and reverbs to give room clues. Also correct timing, phase, transient response. Good noise suppression is a must, as noise will mask/suppress micro details.
When a simple voice, or instrument note is rich and complex, and absorbing, then this is one clue that the system is capable of reproducing micro details and harmonics.
If a system is only at the level of background music, without the ability to immerse you into the music, then it is unlikely that it is capable of being 3-D, or holographic. This capability is probably the most difficult for a system to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back