Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,246 of 8,223
Actually there is an unreleased version of midnight which I have been tearing down the past few weeks. It’s absolutely amazing and to me is the best firmware for the 1A. Period. But don’t know if it will ever be released officially though.

I will try to make time to work on this, together with the idea that I had about the config/settings file system, at least for the people who tried to help me with this! @aceedburn will most probably be able to help me test the changes, after I'll also test them on one of the smaller players beforehand.

There is a chance I might be able to have another 1A in the future, and I can live with the A45/A55 in the meanwhile. I didn't get to listen to music too much lately anyways...

Thank you very much for your support, people! You're awesome, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4,247 of 8,223
Actually there is an unreleased version of midnight which I have been tearing down the past few weeks. It’s absolutely amazing and to me is the best firmware for the 1A. Period. But don’t know if it will ever be released officially though.
Yes, I can echo your sentiments, not that in my mind there were any issues with the previous iterations, however the unreleased version is the absolute holy grail - texturing like I’ve never heard (to the point it made me question if the caps had even burned in up to this point on my 2.5yr old player) and even further improved clarity and tonal balance.

once my financial situation improves, I’ll certainly be putting my hand in my pocket again to show my appreciation for everything that @MrWalkman has done for both the player and the community as a whole.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,248 of 8,223
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,250 of 8,223
I noticed very interesting thing on my WM1Z on BAL Out:
After listening tests with Project Z FW, I found it to be somewhat hard, liquidless and not refined and it also absolutetely lack depth in HQ ambient recordings with lot of space information (not rock or metal). So I decided to go back to Sony stock FW by using a MrWalkman Reverting to stock firmware tool from Project Z folder (no reset, no Sony 3.02 FW file). After FW loading is finished I decided to check the sound and happily surprised. The sound now is exactly what Im looking for. Its definitely NOT an original sony 3.02 stock sound. The sound I achieved for me have an excelent ballance betwenn dark and bright signature, there is huge depth, body, soundstage and it is not harsh or fatigue. I decided to stay with this middle-version.

Midnight FW vs Project Z FW has definitely better refinement and space capabilities, but it is very bright and bassless for neutral headphones. Because it has raised uper mids without dips you can hear a lot of detail. But its not good for long listening (fatigue). Its good for monitoring details on songs but not for music enjoyment. But it is very good with dark and bassy headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #4,251 of 8,223
Im not a WM1A owner, but I do have an A55. I really appreciatte all the work that MR Walkman has selflessly done on the Sony firmware, and the overall joy and enjoyment that he has given the Sony users of this community. Mr Walkman, hope things turn around quickly.

I hope that everyone that has used or somehow benefitted from the great firmwares, also donate. I have also sent my donation.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,252 of 8,223
You just download the exe file and then type my 2 commands
That makes sense. But I'm saying it will not let me download the second link. It leads to a blank page where not one thing happens with only 2 words on the screen : ''call cmd''. No download starts whatsoever.

What I'm trying to say is a don't have a command prompt to open whatsoever in order to put in those 2 commands, the exe file by itself does nothing for me.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,253 of 8,223
That makes sense. But I'm saying it will not let me download the second link. It leads to a blank page where not one thing happens with only 2 words on the screen : ''call cmd''. No download starts whatsoever.

What I'm trying to say is a don't have a command prompt to open whatsoever in order to put in those 2 commands, the exe file by itself does nothing for me.
You press windowskey+r and type cmd and that opens the command prompt. That is what call cmd would do if it was inside a .bat or .cmd file that you double click on

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #4,254 of 8,223

If you right click on the second link and click "Save link as...", it should allow you to save that .bat file, instead of just showing its contents.

1615829718471.png

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4,255 of 8,223
Arghhh, I made a reset on my 1A and noticed that I only have the menu in Asian :sob: as I am not lucky enough to be able to understand this language, I wonder how and with what to restore the language in English at least, if not in French :thinking:

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #4,256 of 8,223
Arghhh, I made a reset on my 1A and noticed that I only have the menu in Asian :sob: as I am not lucky enough to be able to understand this language, I wonder how and with what to restore the language in English at least, if not in French :thinking:

Use the destination tool to change the region to U, for example, restart the player, and then you'll be able to find the "Language" option in Settings, in the third Settings menu option.

After that, you can change the region back to J and restart the player.

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #4,257 of 8,223
You need to change region to one that allows changing the gui language and then you need to find the menu option that does it while still in Japanese

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #4,258 of 8,223
Use the destination tool to change the region to U, for example, restart the player, and then you'll be able to find the "Language" option in Settings, in the third Settings menu option.

After that, you can change the region back to J and restart the player.
Thanks I will try :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back