Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #916 of 8,218
The A30 had both. A WM->3,5mm cable works with an amp and a WM->USB micro cable works with a DAC.

FWIW MrWalkman didn’t know that the Z300 mod makes the A30 lose these features before I told him, so it might be the same with the DMPA50R

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #917 of 8,218
67B5F179-1824-4CC3-9A9C-F30E04E559A4.jpeg

MrWalkman DMP-Z1MK2/Sony 1A/Noble K-10 Encore/HanSound ZENTOO

There is a song called “Dark Side”.......it’s the 11th song on this album which comes as a 48kHz/24bit file. The band is called Yello and the album is called “Toy”.

I’m now thinking this album maybe even better than their just released album “Point”? Typically the band does very short absolutely audiophile little numbers that are electronic in nature but borrow from the known world of sounds............so there is always this underpinning of electronic sounds which can sound almost better than real sounds. DMP-Z1MK2 especially showcases the vocals here as well as the small embellishments. The song starts with a beautiful woman’s voice which is kind of a set up to when the male voices come in from both sides. It’s the separation now with MK2 and the whole amazing vocal forwardness going on. They of course have a very sparkling sitar like thing. It’s that or a triangle or those little wind chimes which have been sampled then taken up higher in pitch? Yello is kind of like that in that the sounds are familiar yet alien at the same time. The sounds are hyper-real. But so far this has been one of the great vocal songs with the new firmware. And it’s not really like you need a song, as most everyone will know right-away what’s going with vocals here. It’s just that with this vocal ability it gives a person inspirational energy to try and seek out even better than normal vocal recordings; to find gold.

This whole album is actually amazing with this firmware. It’s kind of an audiophile demo record or sorts if Yello is your thing? It’s just one of these audio spectacles where the vivid tones come alive and may be quite rewarding in contrast to this sea of music we swim in?

The paradigm shift occurs when you realize Yello isn’t even considered “vocal” music.

:)

Got this album, as well as Flag (Original year release).
the Swiss EDM guys...

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #918 of 8,218
The A30 had both. A WM->3,5mm cable works with an amp and a WM->USB micro cable works with a DAC.

FWIW MrWalkman didn’t know that the Z300 mod makes the A30 lose these features before I told him, so it might be the same with the DMPA50R

The A40, A50 and WM1 players never had analoug audio out. I don’t think the ZX2 had it either. This it the players I personally have had and know about.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #919 of 8,218
Thanks, good to know, I've had the A30 for a long time, but the A50 only for 3 days :)

EDIT - Good news. I went ahead and installed the A50R and tested with my Fiio Q1mkII. Works flawlessly, also DSD is fed as DSD from the A50 to the Fiio. (WM port -> usb micro)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #920 of 8,218
Mr. Walkman, I have been hearing my ZX100 with clear audio on and J region and its very good it has been said that zx100 sound its piercing and clearaudio its not sony signature, however can i insist in bringing clearaudio to 1.20? wixh had taunt bass and also to 2.0? I know it since crazy but i really like what im hearing on my zx100 and it will be awesome for the directmode no eq fans.. just a simple idea.. hope it can be heard for the future... (Mystic Traveler can tell us what will happen)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #923 of 8,218
Soon to be released DMP-Z1MK2:

Firmware always has the possibility-option of fixing and escalating sound quality of IEMs. In essence when you read a sparkling write-up about firmware (they are) taking about the IEM or headphone reaction! Right?

I mean we all subscribe to the idea that these systems all work together for a desired sound. Yet due to the firmware at the very-very start of the chain............it seems to cause improvement down the line. Down the line, as the software makes questionably lesser DAPs better, lesser cables better and then finally lesser IEMs act like better IEMs. :) I’m not making this up!

And just the fact that the MrWalkman editions of DMP-Z1 MK1 and MK2 raise the clarity level in such a transparent and seemingly nondescript way......by not exactly adding character. Yet what comes out the other-end IS dramatic and remarkable due to hearing the actual real tone of the music. The end results then ARE exciting features and better yet, the qualities go seemingly with EVERYTHING. This across the board friendliness somehow leaves no equipment unimproved! All this written poetry so far and I haven’t even started to talk about the soundstage increase. Let’s just say the soundstage gets boosted out farther on any and all IEMs to a place you could not even fathom! MrWalkman DMP-Z1MK2 is the real deal.

Take the Sony XBA-N3 for example. A great Sony mid-priced IEM with a legendary......incredibly small and easy to fit form factor. Yet in some ways the tone was slow and just slightly lacking in clarity/luster. It’s more bass laden than the IER-Z1R and Z5. Yet among what you could say bad about it..........it did have a smoothness and coherent manner overall. In comes the DMP-Z1MK2 in direct mode with the Sony Walkman 1A.

In this single instance we find firmware to add remarkable correction and improvements on all fronts. Any fog was lifted.....well most of it was lifted. :) Any slowness was speeded up. Any lack of clarity or excitement was reintroduced in a dramatic way! We are now quite possibly taking the N3 in 4.4mm just as far (up) as it can go?? I still am not even beginning to talk about the new N3 soundstage!

Things like this happening really up the curiosity factor! What is now going to happen to it’s inspirational older brother the XBA-Z5? That answer I need to find out next.

So in ending we are getting improvements across the board, meaning MK2 never seems to add anything unwanted. But there also seems to be a fact that some IEMs will synergistically improve beyond what could be reasonably guessed beforehand?

19C54DE4-E0C9-467C-8C42-87DE8E1B421C.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #924 of 8,218
Firmware always has the possibility-option of fixing and escalating sound quality of IEMs. In essence when you read a sparkling write-up about firmware (they are) taking about the IEM or headphone reaction! Right?

I mean we all subscribe to the idea that these systems all work together for a desired sound. Yet due to the firmware at the very-very start of the chain............it seems to cause improvement down the line. Down the line, as the software makes questionably lesser DAPs better, lesser cables better and then finally lesser IEMs act like better IEMs. :) I’m not making this up!

And just the fact that the MrWalkman editions of DMP-Z1 MK1 and MK2 raise the clarity level in such a transparent and seemingly nondescript way......by not exactly adding character. Yet what comes out the other-end IS dramatic and remarkable due to hearing the actual real tone of the music. The end results then ARE exciting features and better yet, the qualities go seemingly with EVERYTHING. This across the board friendliness somehow leaves no equipment unimproved! All this written poetry so far and I haven’t even started to talk about the soundstage increase. Let’s just say the soundstage gets boosted out farther on any and all IEMs to a place you could not even fathom!

Take the Sony XBA-N3 for example. A great Sony mid-priced IEM with a legendary......incredibly great and easy to fit form factor. Yet in some ways the tone was slow and just slightly lacking in clarity/luster. It’s more bass laden than the IER-Z1R and Z5. Yet among what you could say bad about it..........it did have a smoothness and coherent manner overall. In comes the DMP-Z1MK2 in direct mode with the Sony Walkman 1A.

In this single instance we find firmware to add remarkable correction and improvements on all fronts. Any fog was lifted.....well most of it was lifted. :) Any slowness was speeded up. Any lack of clarity or excitement was reintroduced in a dramatic way! We are now quite possibly taking the N3 in 4.4mm just as far (up) as it can go?? I still am not even beginning to talk about the new N3 soundstage!

Things like this happening really up the curiosity factor! What is now going to happen to it’s inspirational older brother the XBA-Z5? That answer I need to find out next.

So in ending we are getting improvements across the board, meaning MK2 never seems to add anything unwanted. But there also seems to be a fact that some IEMs will synergistically improve beyond what could be reasonably guessed beforehand?

That’s why, keep trying your old iems. Those you have completely written off as dregs? Try it again, you might be pleasantly surprised. I’m now still awake at 5:00 am trying Final Audio Heaven VII, omg it’s sounds so freaking amazing. I was curious, bought it 2 years ago, try it for less than 10 hours and given up on it. It’s so thick and muddy. Now, I’m completely enraptured with it. Doesn’t lose to much higher more expensive multi ba iems. That’s really amazing

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #925 of 8,218

And just the fact that the MrWalkman editions of DMP-Z1 MK1 and MK2 raise the clarity level in such a transparent and seemingly nondescript way......by not exactly adding character. Yet what comes out the other-end IS dramatic and remarkable due to hearing the actual real tone of the music. The end results then ARE exciting features and better yet, the qualities go seemingly with EVERYTHING. This across the board friendliness somehow leaves no equipment unimproved! All this love poem so far and I haven’t even started to talk about the soundstage increase. Let’s just say the soundstage gets boosted out farther on any and all IEMs to a place you could not even fathom!

Take the Sony XBA-N3 for example. A great Sony mid-priced IEM with a legendary......incredibly great and easy to fit form factor. Yet in some ways the tone was slow and just slightly lacking in clarity/luster. It’s more bass laden than the IER-Z1R and Z5. Yet among what you could say bad about it..........it did have a smoothness and coherent manner overall. In comes the DMP-Z1MK2 in direct mode with the Sony Walkman 1A.

19C54DE4-E0C9-467C-8C42-87DE8E1B421C.jpeg
Agreed but in another way. The DAP is carrying the rest of the chain to greatness. Not by making the rest sound better synergistically but simply by virtue of how good it sounds.

Think of the dap as the baseline and the rest of the chain just adds on top of it.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #926 of 8,218
Agreed but in another way. The DAP is carrying the rest of the chain to greatness. Not by making the rest sound better synergistically but simply by virtue of how good it sounds.

Think of the dap as the baseline and the rest of the chain just adds on top of it.

My best audio mentors taught me that “everything matters”.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #927 of 8,218
That’s why, keep trying your old iems. Those you have completely written off as dregs? Try it again, you might be pleasantly surprised. I’m now still awake at 5:00 am trying Final Audio Heaven VII, omg it’s sounds so freaking amazing. I was curious, bought it, try it for less than 10 hours and given up on it. It’s so thick and muddy. Now, I’m completely enraptured with it. Doesn’t lose to much higher more expensive multi ba iems. That’s really amazing
Are you using MK1 or MK2? I am talking about MK2.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #929 of 8,218
Are you using MK1 or MK2? I am talking about MK2.
I’m actually using Cerberus DMP on Romi mod 1Z. It’s leaps way beyond MK1. I’m looking forward to compare Cerberus DMP to MK2

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #930 of 8,218
I’m actually using Cerberus DMP on Romi mod 1Z. It’s leaps way beyond MK1. I’m looking forward to compare Cerberus DMP to MK2

While generalizations are helpful in this instance; I’m 100% being concerned with MK2. My post is not about any other firmware?

And while I do agree that improvements could be judged by cross-referencing....it would be comparing Mustangs and Corvettes......two different things?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back