Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #5,761 of 8,221
Unbelievable sound quality on this album I’m listening to right now. I can hear the bass strings knocking on the guitar frets like it’s next to me. Goosebumps. Wow! @MrWalkman take a bow.

Attachments

• 6E0D13DE-BF3F-43AF-9C8F-B3E35D39BD82.jpeg
    6E0D13DE-BF3F-43AF-9C8F-B3E35D39BD82.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #5,762 of 8,221
13EF8A63-2F85-4822-9DE4-E9AE0C49C289.jpeg
back back.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #5,763 of 8,221
So I've finally been able to play around with the newest firmware for WM1A today, and am quite impressed. I especially like how easy it is to change things simply with the .txt file in the CFW folder. But I have to admit my complete lack of knowledge regarding firmwares & coding, and say that I just don't get how changing values in the .txt file, saving, disconnecting from mass storage, has a direct effect on the workings and sound characteristics of the player! How damn cool.

Great work Mr. Walkman!!

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #5,765 of 8,221
So I've finally been able to play around with the newest firmware for WM1A today, and am quite impressed. I especially like how easy it is to change things simply with the .txt file in the CFW folder. But I have to admit my complete lack of knowledge regarding firmwares & coding, and say that I just don't get how changing values in the .txt file, saving, disconnecting from mass storage, has a direct effect on the workings and sound characteristics of the player! How damn cool.

Great work Mr. Walkman!!
It has no effect until you disconnect the player and restarts it as all settings are applied at boot time.

And if you have changed the SIG setting you then have to install the corresponding tuning (provided you are talking about the Walkman One fw which has not been officially released yet).

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #5,767 of 8,221
Is there any way to capture the WM1A screen in image or video?
Display off, Volume+ ⇒ Volume ⇒ Power (long press Until display on)

1 - Display Off
2 - Press Volume + and release
3 - Press Volume - and release
4 - Press Power (long press Until display on)

Screen shot will be in the players root directory.

Q-6

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,768 of 8,221
Is there any way to capture the WM1A screen in image or video?
Yes there is a button combination that does that. +Volume, -Volume, then hold the power button

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #5,769 of 8,221
On mine, you have to start by pressing the "Volume -" button.

"The following steps are for reference: Short press the "Volume -" and "Volume +" buttons on the side of the player in turn, and then press and hold the power button to get a screenshot (a prompt "Whether to turn off the player" may pop up, just cancel it) ."

https://www.sony.com/zh-cn/electronics/support/articles/00177986

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #5,770 of 8,221
The Walkman One firmware is now available
for the WM1A and WM1Z players!

Thanks again to Nayparm at www.npaudio.uk for his generous donation
of a WM1A (after having to sell mine, unfortunately). The update wouldn't
have been possible otherwise!

This firmware integrates the Midnight and Dawn sound signatures
as "Warm"and "Bright", and adds a "Neutral" sound signature, as well
as the WM1Z sound.

The Bright/Dawn signature that can be found in this firmware was
not previously released as standalone.

The "Neutral" sound signature is a combination of Midnight and Dawn.

You can choose your sound signature from the settings file. After choosing
the sound signature, save the settings file, disable Mass Storage mode, restart
the player, and then apply the corresponding external tuning.

For more info about the settings file, firmware installation and reverting
to stock, and more, please check out the FAQ section.

Check out Walkman One, here.

I hope you'll like it! :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #5,773 of 8,221
So now there is no need to separately install the tuning files? Just want to confirm

You just choose the sound signature in the settings file, then restart the player after saving the file, then install the external tuning according to the in-use sound signature (you can confirm the in-use signature from the Unit Information menu in the player's settings).

The main difference is that you don't have to install another firmware to get a different sound signature.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #5,775 of 8,221
Sweet as!

That makes it simple. I just saw thew external tuning folders and wanted to make sure.

Thank you

Yep, the folder contains external tunings for the sound signatures.

For Midnight and Dawn (Warm and Bright) the tunings are the Project Z and FEv2 ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back