Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,966 of 8,223
Looks like region discussion are the order of the day again, been a while since we had this phase. Anyway here goes, i love my bass. I’m not a bass head but love deep, full sounding bass and mids. Before the introduction of any of these firmwares, i was rocking out on my original E region and had to use the bass dials to get to my desired listening taste. Then tunings arrived and everyone jumped onto the bandwagon of tinkering with the walkmans and also changing regions where J was always the most talked abut and most popular region. I switched to J then and fast forward 8 months, never looked back. I have tinkered with almost all the regions and even yesterday I tried CA with FE. Sounded ok but after a while the mid bass hump was gettting too much for me and i went back to J and realised why i stayed on it all this while. So, in summary CA gives you a very artificially hyped up bass that gets too much after long listening. You will notice that the bass gets in the way sooner rather than later. J instead gives you a natural feeling of musicality yet not sacrificing the deep and well refined bass on FE. Try it, it’s only 10 seconds to hear the difference and another 10 seconds to change it back.
I'm more of subbass person so I prefer the CN and MX3 regions rather than the more midbassy regions like J and CA. With the FE version and CN/MX3 region you get a bass signature reminiscent of the NW ZX507 in fact

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,967 of 8,223
I'm more of subbass person so I prefer the CN and MX3 regions rather than the more midbassy regions like J and CA. With the FE version and CN/MX3 region you get a bass signature reminiscent of the NW ZX507 in fact
Have you tried TW? CN pushes the resolution to suit the majority of local music.

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,968 of 8,223
Have you tried TW? CN pushes the resolution to suit the majority of local music.

Q-6
Yeah i tried it yesterday but it was a bit too bassy

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,969 of 8,223
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #1,970 of 8,223
On which device? All my observations are based on WM1A. I’ve always found CN way too bright and sibilant for me.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,971 of 8,223
On which device? All my observations are based on WM1A. I’ve always found CN way too bright and sibilant for me.
A30 with IER-M9

Might be your iems? I like CN for its airiness

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,972 of 8,223
2 units of the Sony NWA55L have just been ordered from Amazon (both in red and for a surprising price of 190 euros)!

We will have to learn this from the firmware settings :L3000:

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,974 of 8,223
A30 with IER-M9

Might be your iems? I like CN for its airiness
Nah it’s the DAP. A series is more bass heavy than the WM1 series. So that explains it.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,976 of 8,223
I’m trying to upgrade my wm1a to the FE firmware, but I keep getting the message to connect the player with a USB cable, even though I have one connected with USB Mass Storage turned on. Any ideas? I didn’t have this issue with any of the past versions.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,977 of 8,223
I’m trying to upgrade my wm1a to the FE firmware, but I keep getting the message to connect the player with a USB cable, even though I have one connected with USB Mass Storage turned on. Any ideas? I didn’t have this issue with any of the past versions.
What version of firmware or custom firmware are you on?

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,978 of 8,223
2 units of the Sony NWA55L have just been ordered from Amazon (both in red and for a surprising price of 190 euros)!

We will have to learn this from the firmware settings :L3000:

I know the A50 is a great little dap but just out of curiosity, why do you need 2?

Not that you could listen to both of them at the same time you know:slight_smile:

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,979 of 8,223

Have you followed the instructions including going back to stock from whatever previous modded fw you might have been using before ?

The problem is that your player is not back to the correct model and so is not recognized by the installer.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,980 of 8,223
Have you followed the instructions including going back to stock from whatever previous modded fw you might have been using before ?

I recommend everyone to please read the whole post on the website first!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back