Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #8,027 of 8,232
I don't understand why people select firmware Z1 for A1. Z1 doesn't have the dynamics and speed of bass that A1. For me, it's a choice for the worst sound For me, it's a choice for worse sound albeit with more detail. I also using 3.01 😎
it depends on the region, you can make it faster with MX3 region, you can also make it slower. I am using CEV region, compared to Hiby R6 Pro II, it is more relaxed, but if I use MX3, I do not think the friend who gets the impression is going to say the same. All about the taste, but I think I will experiment again with the region and 3.01. For me 3.01 is a must :D

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #8,028 of 8,232
it depends on the region, you can make it faster with MX3 region, you can also make it slower. I am using CEV region, compared to Hiby R6 Pro II, it is more relaxed, but if I use MX3, I do not think the friend who gets the impression is going to say the same. All about the taste, but I think I will experiment again with the region and 3.01. For me 3.01 is a must :D
My favorite settings right now are firmware 3.01 and region E01 :wink: In tandem with Symphonium Crimson i get a great dynamic, scene and engagement.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #8,029 of 8,232
My favorite settings right now are firmware 3.01 and region E01 :wink: In tandem with Symphonium Crimson i get a great dynamic, scene and engagement.
ok will retry, E is actually my native region and here WM1A are quite unpopular.
When I still use 1Z firmware, E seems like a balance between CEV and MX3
Update: I switched to MX3 again, better treble, better upper mid, the vinyl processor more clearly defined in MX3. Shorter decay than CEV but lost a bit of rumble.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #8,032 of 8,232
@MrWalkman
Is it possible to add to the custom firmware one of the sound signature options like WM1A 3.01?
And what about the new firmware version? Is the project stopped or can we still hope for an update?
I think at best it’s dormant as he got other life priorities but there might still come another version at some point in the future

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #8,033 of 8,232
ok will retry, E is actually my native region and here WM1A are quite unpopular.
When I still use 1Z firmware, E seems like a balance between CEV and MX3
Update: I switched to MX3 again, better treble, better upper mid, the vinyl processor more clearly defined in MX3. Shorter decay than CEV but lost a bit of rumble.
in the states, the 1Z was better , to me, on the 1A...by a mile!

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #8,035 of 8,232
instead of TW, how about using CEV instead, and V2 instead of v1 for neutral ?
the reason is that based on memory, there is still a resemblance to 1z in v1 but it is a different sound in v2. And then for TW, mindstorm file shows that upper mid to high got recessed, CEV is more neutral if it is what you seek.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #8,036 of 8,232
Quick question. I recieved a WM1A yesterday and installed ‘Walkman One’ this afternoon. Doing a little experimenting and was curious on one thing. If I have ‘Direct Source: On and switch to Off, I notice an audible different in tonality even though all ‘Sound Enhancements’ are off. Any experience or enlightenment would be appreciated!

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #8,037 of 8,232
Quick question. I recieved a WM1A yesterday and installed ‘Walkman One’ this afternoon. Doing a little experimenting and was curious on one thing. If I have ‘Direct Source: On and switch to Off, I notice an audible different in tonality even though all ‘Sound Enhancements’ are off. Any experience or enlightenment would be appreciated!
This is a very normal behaviour in the Walkman. Although all sound processing options are turned off, the player might still be using some built in processors to alter the sound. But the differences are quite subtle in my testing. So if you want real pure sound it’s best to use it with direct source on.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #8,038 of 8,232
Hello all --
I'm new to the forum, and posted this in the help section, but it was suggested I post here as well.

I bought a used Sony NW-A55 after reading about the MrWalkman Walkman One Mod. Living here in Europe, devices have these volume limiters and it is beyond frustrating. Seeing that you could use the mod to set the region, I had hoped this would remove that problem.

The sound after installing the Walkman One mod is wonderful -- no complaints there -- but the volume just doesn't get loud enough. I even went so far as to buy the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones, as I know from reviews (and friends) that they have a lot of power. But still -- even with the volume at maximum, it's just not really loud enough. (Before people respond with: "Your hearing is shot" -- using these headphones on my computer produces very painfully loud volume when cranked up).

I have tried changing the region to 3 or 4 others, including Japan, but there's no change. Could it be something in the hardware that's limiting it?

Has anyone else experienced this, or can suggest a combination of region code or other configurable settings that might be able to give me a louder device?

Thank you!

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #8,039 of 8,232
Hello all --
I'm new to the forum, and posted this in the help section, but it was suggested I post here as well.

I bought a used Sony NW-A55 after reading about the MrWalkman Walkman One Mod. Living here in Europe, devices have these volume limiters and it is beyond frustrating. Seeing that you could use the mod to set the region, I had hoped this would remove that problem.

The sound after installing the Walkman One mod is wonderful -- no complaints there -- but the volume just doesn't get loud enough. I even went so far as to buy the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones, as I know from reviews (and friends) that they have a lot of power. But still -- even with the volume at maximum, it's just not really loud enough. (Before people respond with: "Your hearing is shot" -- using these headphones on my computer produces very painfully loud volume when cranked up).

I have tried changing the region to 3 or 4 others, including Japan, but there's no change. Could it be something in the hardware that's limiting it?

Has anyone else experienced this, or can suggest a combination of region code or other configurable settings that might be able to give me a louder device?

Thank you!
Please make sure that you haven’t turned gain on in the Walkman One AND the device’s own gain on. that will clash and reduce the level if so. I find the Walkman One great also, but the bass department is a little too audiophile for my taste (I’m not a bass head), so I’m still on 3.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back