Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #7,891 of 8,232
Hello

I have the Sony ZX300 and the WM1A. I have MrWalkman custom firmware installed on both (Walkman One - Warm - Plus V2 mode)

With the IEMs that I use regularly, Solaris, Ti8E, etc. I like the sound of the ZX300 almost more, it gives it a bit more warmth and body.

I really like its sound, but is there a configuration that you can recommend for the WM1A to make it sound similar to the ZX300 in terms of that touch of warmth and body?

Surely I'm asking for the impossible, but hey, for asking...

Thanks for reading, regards

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #7,892 of 8,232
Hello

I have the Sony ZX300 and the WM1A. I have MrWalkman custom firmware installed on both (Walkman One - Warm - Plus V2 mode)

With the IEMs that I use regularly, Solaris, Ti8E, etc. I like the sound of the ZX300 almost more, it gives it a bit more warmth and body.

I really like its sound, but is there a configuration that you can recommend for the WM1A to make it sound similar to the ZX300 in terms of that touch of warmth and body?

Sounds like Wm1z + J + plus mode v2 + dac initialization = 1 + gain = 1 will do the trick

anyways, I suggest trying bright + MX3 + plus mode v2 + dac initialization = 1 + gain = 1, it may not be zx300 but it may be something you will prefer even more.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #7,893 of 8,232
Hello

I owned the ZX300 a few years ago and upgraded to the WM1A, I now have a WM1Z. All were purchased with region E, uncapped. I had my ZX300 before the Mr Walkman firmwares came out, and around the time that people were realizing that the regions didn't just offer a way to uncap, but a different sound too.
This is just from memory: I loved my ZX300 but after a couple of years found it a bit too smooth and warm with my warm signature iems, but when I upgraded to the WM1A I found it to be the opposite. I appreciated the improvements with the wider soundstage and details but coming from the ZX300 it came across as a bit cold and sterile, even after burn-in hours. I don't know what region you are on but I found switching from E to J helped a lot at that time. After that I installed the custom firmwares and actually eventually opted for the brighter-sounding signatures, perhaps my ears had evolved by then. As you are on Warm already have you tried the sound settings like Vinyl Processor or Phase Linearizer? Possibly the WM1A's very wide soundstage may be a factor as it may make it a bit less intimate?

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #7,894 of 8,232
Hello

both is using the same firmware, but you want more warmth, assuming that you are using MX3 for both, I think either one of J, J2 or J3 will satisfy your needs. My hunch would be on J2.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #7,895 of 8,232
Suena como que Wm1z + J + plus mode v2 + inicialización dac = 1 + ganancia = 1 funcionará

de todos los modos, sugiero probar bright + MX3 + plus mode v2 + inicialización dac = 1 + ganancia = 1, puede que no sea zx300 pero puede ser algo que prefieras aún más.
Thank you very much for your help

At that moment I am enjoying your first recommendation, since it seems to me that it is the one that I am liking the most (WM1Z-J-PLUSV2-GAIN1-DAC1). My style of listening to music is usually calm, folk, folk-rock, Americana, small changes in sound profile can be better appreciated. In any case, I will continue trying both things, many thanks to you and Professor Mr.Walkman.

I owned the ZX300 a few years ago and upgraded to the WM1A, I now have a WM1Z. All were purchased with region E, uncapped. I had my ZX300 before the Mr Walkman firmwares came out, and around the time that people were realizing that the regions didn't just offer a way to uncap, but a different sound too.
This is just from memory: I loved my ZX300 but after a couple of years found it a bit too smooth and warm with my warm signature iems, but when I upgraded to the WM1A I found it to be the opposite. I appreciated the improvements with the wider soundstage and details but coming from the ZX300 it came across as a bit cold and sterile, even after burn-in hours. I don't know what region you are on but I found switching from E to J helped a lot at that time. After that I installed the custom firmwares and actually eventually opted for the brighter-sounding signatures, perhaps my ears had evolved by then. As you are on Warm already have you tried the sound settings like Vinyl Processor or Phase Linearizer? Possibly the WM1A's very wide soundstage may be a factor as it may make it a bit less intimate?
Yes, I have tried and have the Vinyl Processor and Phase Linearizer activated.
Your comment is true that in the WM1A the stage is wider than in the ZX300 and it is possible that this is one of the reasons for this "small" loss of body in the sound, in any case very enjoyable without a doubt. Thanks for your help.

both is using the same firmware, but you want more warmth, assuming that you are using MX3 for both, I think either one of J, J2 or J3 will satisfy your needs. My hunch would be on J2.
In my configuration file only J appears, but I don't see J2 or J3. Can they be entered like this? o Is something else needed to make these areas available? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #7,896 of 8,232

At that moment I am enjoying your first recommendation, since it seems to me that it is the one that I am liking the most (WM1Z-J-PLUSV2-GAIN1-DAC1). My style of listening to music is usually calm, folk, folk-rock, Americana, small changes in sound profile can be better appreciated. In any case, I will continue trying both things, many thanks to you and Professor Mr.Walkman.

Your comment is true that in the WM1A the stage is wider than in the ZX300 and it is possible that this is one of the reasons for this "small" loss of body in the sound, in any case very enjoyable without a doubt. Thanks for your help.

In my configuration file only J appears, but I don't see J2 or J3. Can they be entered like this? o Is something else needed to make these areas available? Thanks.
I am glad you are enjoying those settings, I don't think you can find a warmer one.

as for the j2 and j3, they only work with wm1a/z, even if you do not see them, however I would stick to J

Sep 1, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #7,897 of 8,232

If you want J2 + J3 Region on WM1A look here...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16853385

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #7,898 of 8,232
Hello

I would like to fine tune my answer
I will assume you are going to use MX3 region for both
Then to add that touch of warmth, you need to turn on Vinyl Processor (Arm Resonance), and DC Phase Linearization (type A Standard)

I feel that MX3 is warmer than J2. Just did a switch this morning, expecting a less warm but getting more.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #7,899 of 8,232
The "Penny" finally dropped on me! I'm using my modded 1Z outdoor (on my way to work) and I kept on finding the Walkman One too light for that. Well. I regard all members of this forum to be highly skilled audio/music fans and I just couldn't make any sense of what I read vs. of what I heard! Based on my preferences, off cause! So I ended on 3.02 every time. What was I "doing wrong"? Clear the preferences! Accept the change! Ok then, let's give it a try!
I read all of the older posts (to collect impressions) and went through all of my cables & tips, to get to known their behaviour. I have ended on the fantastic Walkman One with a copper/silver hybrid cable, the Eros S from EffectAudio. And the new tips from AZLA the Earfit MAX. They deliver a very good isolation and fit perfectly!
I'm on this : J3, V2, normal DAC, gain on 1. And on recommendation from #Hinomotocho, Vinyl processor on tone arm and DC Phase Linearization (type A Standard).
Magic times!
Just so there's no misunderstanding, Ive been a fan of Mr.Walkman's work all the way! Thank you, Mr.Walkman! :)

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #7,900 of 8,232
The "Penny" finally dropped on me! I'm using my modded 1Z outdoor (on my way to work) and I kept on finding the Walkman One too light for that. Well. I regard all members of this forum to be highly skilled audio/music fans and I just couldn't make any sense of what I read vs. of what I heard! Based on my preferences, off cause! So I ended on 3.02 every time. What was I "doing wrong"? Clear the preferences! Accept the change! Ok then, let's give it a try!
I read all of the older posts (to collect impressions) and went through all of my cables & tips, to get to known their behaviour. I have ended on the fantastic Walkman One with a copper/silver hybrid cable, the Eros S from EffectAudio. And the new tips from AZLA the Earfit MAX. They deliver a very good isolation and fit perfectly!
I'm on this : J3, V2, normal DAC, gain on 1. And on recommendation from #Hinomotocho, Vinyl processor on tone arm and DC Phase Linearization (type A Standard).
Magic times!
Just so there's no misunderstanding, Ive been a fan of Mr.Walkman's work all the way! Thank you, Mr.Walkman! :)
You should try Bright Mx3, V2, dac initialization, gain 1 :) i found it best

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #7,903 of 8,232
Thanks, Have tried j3 in the past and after a long time of back and forth decided that mx3 is the right region for me. is j2 a big difference to j3?
not big, it has a tamed treble compared to J3, but combine that with Bright, and you got a vocal focused, full bodied, warm, just like AK 4493, try turning Type A Standard and you will get a wider stage

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #7,904 of 8,232
Sep 3, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #7,905 of 8,232
ive been using my cca duo and it is a fairly bright set with weak bass. it sounds phenomenal when listening to strings, big drum sets, and even vocals. very revealing set for using only 2 dynamic drivers on each side. this is the one iem i am really noticing changes done from the firmware end. i started with j3, v2, 1z, alt dac, and high gain. settled on u, v2, 1z, stock dac and high gain. stock dac softens up those spikes, and u adds some sub-bass and plays a little more with the stereo separation. i messed around with the duo's filters and got better bass. it's still not the best bass kz offers but it's a fun niche tuning that gets love with the right tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back