Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 1, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #7,861 of 8,329
So do you guys think my WM1A is finished?... I would hate to think so as everything else seems to work, I just can't get the player to be recognized as a Mass Storage Device. I believe the issue to be isolated to the player itself, considering my WM1Z seems to work just find on my PC.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #7,862 of 8,329
So do you guys think my WM1A is finished?... I would hate to think so as everything else seems to work, I just can't get the player to be recognized as a Mass Storage Device. I believe the issue to be isolated to the player itself, considering my WM1Z seems to work just find on my PC.
It doesn't sound like a serious issue, hopefully it's just one of those glitches. I'm away from my Walkman, and not that skilled at tech stuff, so I'm just throwing a few ideas out there. Isn't there a setting in the menu that has it recognized as a storage device, had you perhaps changed that setting by mistake? Can you go to the device manager and check if it is showing at all, or remove, and then plug in again?

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #7,863 of 8,329
It doesn't sound like a serious issue, hopefully it's just one of those glitches. I'm away from my Walkman, and not that skilled at tech stuff, so I'm just throwing a few ideas out there. Isn't there a setting in the menu that has it recognized as a storage device, had you perhaps changed that setting by mistake? Can you go to the device manager and check if it is showing at all, or remove, and then plug in again?
Well, I did check on and check off the setting for "Auto Activate USB Mass Storage Device". Neither worked. I've checked Device Manager and it is not detecting any additional devices either. No sound when plugging in my WM1A to either my desktop computer or my laptop. So my only options so far, as far as I know, that I haven't tried are to let the battery drain and turn off the player, or do a "Restore to Factory Configuration" within the "Reset/Format" menu.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #7,864 of 8,329
Well, I did check on and check off the setting for "Auto Activate USB Mass Storage Device". Neither worked. I've checked Device Manager and it is not detecting any additional devices either. No sound when plugging in my WM1A to either my desktop computer or my laptop. So my only options so far, as far as I know, that I haven't tried are to let the battery drain and turn off the player, or do a "Restore to Factory Configuration" within the "Reset/Format" menu.
Does your Walkman work as a source to an amp/dac? I've been on these forums for years and don't recall hearing of many/any hardware issues, hopefully a reset or reinstall may remedy it.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #7,865 of 8,329
Does your Walkman work as a source to an amp/dac? I've been on these forums for years and don't recall hearing of many/any hardware issues, hopefully a reset or reinstall may remedy it.
It does not detect any USB source when trying to use USB DAC/AMP. When plugging in my WM1A, regardless of which menu/function screen I am in, it merely charges the player as if it is connected to a power source only. When using Bluetooth Receiver, the WM1A will sometimes connect to a source, such as my Samsung Galaxy S9+ but the sound will end up freezing requiring me to exit the Receiver menu and restart it.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #7,866 of 8,329
Don’t do the factory reset when on WalkmanOne fw, as I recall this will totally mess up the player

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #7,868 of 8,329
I emailed Mr. Walkman. Hopefully he can provide some insight and help on what I can do. Thank you all of the help!

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #7,869 of 8,329
I emailed Mr. Walkman. Hopefully he can provide some insight and help on what I can do. Thank you all of the help!
All the best in sorting it out, fingers crossed for an easy fix. Worst case scenario you could possibly send to Nayparm for a fix, with the excuse for an upgrade, even just the battery.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #7,870 of 8,329

It definitely ISN'T.

Worst case scenario - you'll manage your library in a micro-SD card reader.

I had similar issues when applying firmware in the wrong order (e.g installing another one WITHOUT reverting to stock first) You have nothing to lose to try to revert to stock first, check if everything works and then reapply your favourite flavour of the mods.

I don't know if @MrWalkman is active anymore, but he has some tools up his sleeve even if the DAP seems to be bricked - e.g. he saved my A30 from that fate while I was testing pre-release firmware.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #7,871 of 8,329
It definitely ISN'T.

Worst case scenario - you'll manage your library in a micro-SD card reader.

I had similar issues when applying firmware in the wrong order (e.g installing another one WITHOUT reverting to stock first) You have nothing to lose to try to revert to stock first, check if everything works and then reapply your favourite flavour of the mods.

I don't know if @MrWalkman is active anymore, but he has some tools up his sleeve even if the DAP seems to be bricked - e.g. he saved my A30 from that fate while I was testing pre-release firmware.
He can’t revert as the computer no longer detect the player as a usb device

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #7,872 of 8,329
He can’t revert as the computer no longer detect the player as a usb device
Would need to reset it via DFU mode as that is the fallback in the event of failure. I dont have required app, however some likely do.

Q-6

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #7,873 of 8,329
Would need to reset it via DFU mode as that is the fallback in the event of failure. I dont have required app, however some likely do.

Q-6
Wouldn’t that still require the computer seeing it as a usb device ?

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #7,874 of 8,329
Wouldn’t that still require the computer seeing it as a usb device ?
No as it's built into the HW, however you need to know the correct button sequence and have the programmer SW installed pm the PC. This how bricked players can be recovered. Personally I dont remember the sequence or have the required SW. That said it's out there...

Q-6

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #7,875 of 8,329
Well it's been about a week since I've emailed Mr. Walkman and he unfortunately has not sent me a reply. Would anyone happen to know a different form of commutation aside from the provided on his official website? @Queen6 Thank you for the info about DFU mode within firmware! So you're saying that it would be possible to revert my firmware from Walkman One to stock within the player itself without connecting it first to my computer? I'm not sure I understand how that would work exactly. Any info on who I I can contact/what I should do is very much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back