Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 22, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #7,846 of 8,232
I just went to local audio store and tried Astell SE 300, coincidentally some days ago I changed the setting of Mr Walkman ROM inside my WM1A to Bright, initially with J3 but I got tired just by listening for 30 minutes so I changed the region to J. The sound signature is very similar, between Bright J Alt DAC (Direct Sound ON) and the SE 300. J smoothed the treble and add some warmth.
UPDATE: I tried MX3 and U just now, with the goal of finding a region with a better presence but not fatiguing. U is better, I like the bass. And V2 is always ON

If anyone tried J2, kindly share the review, was thinking of trying but with the time available, I stick to the excel sheet from mindstorm first

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #7,847 of 8,232
I just went to local audio store and tried Astell SE 300, coincidentally some days ago I changed the setting of Mr Walkman ROM inside my WM1A to Bright, initially with J3 but I got tired just by listening for 30 minutes so I changed the region to J. The sound signature is very similar, between Bright J Alt DAC (Direct Sound ON) and the SE 300. J smoothed the treble and add some warmth.
UPDATE: I tried MX3 and U just now, with the goal of finding a region with a better presence but not fatiguing. U is better, I like the bass.

If anyone tried J2, kindly share the review, was thinking of trying but with the time available, I stick to the excel sheet from mindstorm first
I'm interested in hearing/reading any observations on the region codes J1, J2. I can "hear" that J3 have more air to it (and a stronger bass), than J, but it gets kind of boring after a while. Any kind of description will be positively received!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #7,848 of 8,232
Officially settled on these settings:

tuning = 2 (bright/dmp z1, should just be called dmp because it's really not bright to me, vut maybe that's because of the combination of options)

region = MX3/J3 (both work great with the dmp firmware, find which one works best for you, but these are the best I've tried although I've skipped many like the ce7 etc)

plus mode V2 / Always on

Gain = 1 (high gain)

Dac initialization = 1

Absolutely incredible what these settings do, staging and seperation opens up while aiding harmony between sounds, everything plays together in union and even my adhd/ocd brain can focus on the music as a whole with these settings, I'm not saying these will be your favorite, but I am definitely recommending to try these settings out.

mdr z1r are on their way and eventually the 1a will be modded, mrwalkman firmware brought new life to my love for sony :)

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #7,849 of 8,232
Officially settled on these settings:

tuning = 2 (bright/dmp z1, should just be called dmp because it's really not bright to me, vut maybe that's because of the combination of options)

region = MX3/J3 (both work great with the dmp firmware, find which one works best for you, but these are the best I've tried although I've skipped many like the ce7 etc)

plus mode V2 / Always on

Gain = 1 (high gain)

Dac initialization = 1

Absolutely incredible what these settings do, staging and seperation opens up while aiding harmony between sounds, everything plays together in union and even my adhd/ocd brain can focus on the music as a whole with these settings, I'm not saying these will be your favorite, but I am definitely recommending to try these settings out.

mdr z1r are on their way and eventually the 1a will be modded, mrwalkman firmware brought new life to my love for sony :)
I am currently testing U for more bass and is interested with "clinical listening", the idea is to give more presence to SE 300 sound (what it is currently lacking), add more resolution and deeper stronger bass. Tested with all my headphones and IEMs and nothing sharp detected and it is still enjoyable. Pairing them with B4X gives a better sound.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #7,851 of 8,232
I'd say Dmp + J3 is fairly bassy :) especially with high gain plus mode and dac initialization, you should give it a go
tried that as my initial setting, it is too fatiguing for me, I can only withstand for 30 minutes, that is why I changed to J. Then because I feel that it is very similar with SE 300 and a friend keep telling me that the smoothed treble makes the listening blurry, so I tried U because it has the same level of resolution with MX3 but with stronger bass. Probably settle with this setting. I used MX3 earlier this year, and it is also great. If I feel that U is too clinical for me, will switch to MX3 to keep the resolution.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #7,852 of 8,232
tried that as my initial setting, it is too fatiguing for me, I can only withstand for 30 minutes, that is why I changed to J. Then because I feel that it is very similar with SE 300 and a friend keep telling me that the smoothed treble makes the listening blurry, so I tried U because it has the same level of resolution with MX3 but with stronger bass. Probably settle with this setting. I used MX3 earlier this year, and it is also great. If I feel that U is too clinical for me, will switch to MX3 to keep the resolution.
I'm surprised everyone finds J3 dmp fatiguing, with dac initialization gain = 1 and plus mode v2 to me it sounds extremely balanced and one of the more "softer" sounds this dap can produce, treble is actually quite tame in comparison to MX3

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #7,854 of 8,232
What would you guys say is the best/deepest bass setting with the widest stage and gentlest treble?
do you need resolution ?

you can put the following setting as a base
Warm, DAC Init ON, V2 ON

you just need to experiment with the region
U if you need resolution
J3 is balanced
J for warmist tape cassette deck like sound
CEV is the widest with a strong bass according to mindstorm chart
TW is if you willing to sacrifice resolution and stage to get strongest bass

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #7,855 of 8,232
Hello! So I've been enjoying my WM1A using Mr. Walkman's "Walkman One" firmware and haven't had a need to change the firmware or anything but I recently connected my computer and found that my WM1A is no longer detected as a USB Mass Storage device. I've tried different USB ports and a different cable and the issue persists. I've restarted and powered off/on the player yet it still persists. I also happen to be fortunate to own a WM1Z with stock firmware and I don't have any problems whatsoever with connectivity with this player on my PC.

What happens when I connect my WM1A "Walkman One" player to my PC is that the Walkman proceeds to charge but my PC never seems to detect the walkman as a storage device. Has anyone had this happened? Is there anything that I can possibly do to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any and all help that anyone here can provide! Please and thank you very much!

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #7,856 of 8,232
Hello! So I've been enjoying my WM1A using Mr. Walkman's "Walkman One" firmware and haven't had a need to change the firmware or anything but I recently connected my computer and found that my WM1A is no longer detected as a USB Mass Storage device. I've tried different USB ports and a different cable and the issue persists. I've restarted and powered off/on the player yet it still persists. I also happen to be fortunate to own a WM1Z with stock firmware and I don't have any problems whatsoever with connectivity with this player on my PC.

What happens when I connect my WM1A "Walkman One" player to my PC is that the Walkman proceeds to charge but my PC never seems to detect the walkman as a storage device. Has anyone had this happened? Is there anything that I can possibly do to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any and all help that anyone here can provide! Please and thank you very much!
Hmm. I remember this issue before. Your Walkman works fine and all that right? Just that I doesn’t get detected by your pc? I remember it being a cable or usb port issue previously. If you have another cable or another pc to test it on and troubleshoot?

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #7,857 of 8,232
Hmm. I remember this issue before. Your Walkman works fine and all that right? Just that I doesn’t get detected by your pc? I remember it being a cable or usb port issue previously. If you have another cable or another pc to test it on and troubleshoot?
Playback through 3.5mm and 4.4mm work just fine. I've noticed I am unable to connect my WM1A to bluetooth sources such as my car nor can I successfully connect to my phone via Bluetooth Receiver to playback phone media via the WM1A. I did try another cable that I had from my WM1Z, and I did try multiple Ports on the front and back of my PC. I tried a laptop as well that I had just lying around. It had Windows 7 installed on it but I believe it should still be able to detect it as a USB device when plugged in and unfortunately it only charges my WM1A and does not get detected as a USB device on my laptop either. It would appear that my PC and my laptop provide power to my WM1A, but beyond that there is no detection of it as a USB device...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #7,858 of 8,232
I did try another cable that I had from my WM1Z, and I did try multiple Ports on the front and back of my PC. I tried a laptop as well that I had just lying around. It had Windows 7 installed on it but I believe it should still be able to detect it as a USB device when plugged in and unfortunately it only charges my WM1A and does not get detected as a USB device on my laptop either. It would appear that my PC and my laptop provide power to my WM1A, but beyond that there is no detection of it as a USB device...
Hmm. I know you would’ve done it but did you try restarting your device and trying again? It could also be an issue with your sd card. Try removing the sd card first and then try and see if it connects?

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #7,859 of 8,232
Hmm. I know you would’ve done it but did you try restarting your device and trying again? It could also be an issue with your sd card. Try removing the sd card first and then try and see if it connects?
Yep, I restarted the device, turned off then back on, removed SD card and did both again. I've done everything aside from the factory reset option, which would wipe the internal storage...

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #7,860 of 8,232
Yep, I restarted the device, turned off then back on, removed SD card and did both again. I've done everything aside from the factory reset option, which would wipe the internal storage...
You don’t want to do a factory reset while on WalkmanOne

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back