Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #7,712 of 8,230
Is dynamic normalizer really bad? It's quite annoying to adjust volume for each songs and I haven't noticed any visible changes in audio other than the volume level.
If you play complete albums it will destroy the dynamic range/variance within the album but if you play random tracks across many albums (like if using playlists) it can be convenient

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #7,713 of 8,230
If you play complete albums it will destroy the dynamic range/variance within the album but if you play random tracks across many albums (like if using playlists) it can be convenient
Right on the money...

Q-6

May 1, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #7,715 of 8,230
Does anyone knows if there is any new linux based DAP, even like an entry line model?
I doubt it.

The speculation is that Sony in a cost cutting move decided to reduce the number of operating systems they support to 1. Android won since they use that for their Xperia phones and that market is orders of magnitude larger than music players.

May 2, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #7,717 of 8,230
I doubt it.

The speculation is that Sony in a cost cutting move decided to reduce the number of operating systems they support to 1. Android won since they use that for their Xperia phones and that market is orders of magnitude larger than music players.

Ye, i see it improbable that Sony release another just "Sony OS" DAP. Idk if the lotoo OS is linux, but it's hard for audio companies to reject streaming nowadays.

May 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #7,719 of 8,230
Ye, i see it improbable that Sony release another just "Sony OS" DAP. Idk if the lotoo OS is linux, but it's hard for audio companies to reject streaming nowadays.
But it's hard for some users to want it.

May 5, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #7,721 of 8,230
How ironic! I came onboard “The Sony Train” around late august (2016) in this tread, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-10, and leaned how to remove the volume cap on my 1A Walkman. It was suggested that E was an alright reg. and that it didn’t have the volume cap. So I changed to that and the unit just got a little bit better. Opgraititis got me to get an 1Z and changed to E right away (I live in Europe)! Then came all the planets and what a ride! Good times, indeed! Enter Mr.Walkman and then sounds really took off! The precious little unit just got so much better! If indoor, that is, because I use it biking to work and that just doesn’t work, even with the right cable/tips/settings done right! The Sony 3.02 fw just have a better backbone (what I call the bass end of things) and just ties all the frequencies together in a “better” way, being outdoors! So, here I am, back on 3.02 fw reg. E, and enjoying it! I have politely asked/suggested Mr.Walkman to maybe consider an “outdoor” version of the Walkman ONE, so there’s hope! And I had my precious unit modded at NP audio and Steve did a fantastic job! Highly recommend!
im sorry if you feel like I have stolen your time, but I guess that I’m just as anxious as you, waiting on the upcoming Mr.Walkman ONE update! 👍🎁 #MrWalkman

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #7,722 of 8,230
i found a hidden karaoke feature. all you have to do is get deezloader and add your spotify account, then you can rip all your playlists in mp3 128 and it'll include the lyric files. you can then run your songs through the sony music player to analyze each song to make massive SenseMe playlists. ive managed to fit over 40k songs on a 64gb card. now you can play a song with the lyrics and sing along to your favorite songs. just make sure you're not around people or you will get looks. :wink:

May 8, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #7,723 of 8,230
I just discovered this existed last night and I haven't had time to dig into it. I have an NW-A45. I know it's old, but I really like it and haven't seen any reason to upgrade to a newer one. This firmware seems like it addresses my only real issues with the player, which is the EQ and initial boot-up time.

If anybody has any advice specific to the NW-A45 I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll just try to muddle through the install.

May 8, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #7,724 of 8,230
I just discovered this existed last night and I haven't had time to dig into it. I have an NW-A45. I know it's old, but I really like it and haven't seen any reason to upgrade to a newer one. This firmware seems like it addresses my only real issues with the player, which is the EQ and initial boot-up time.

If anybody has any advice specific to the NW-A45 I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll just try to muddle through the install.
There should be no difference in boot time, it will be as slow/fast as you are used to

May 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #7,725 of 8,230
I think you have to use this StockRevert package:

Regarding bootlooping devices - I have another computer, and the required files are on a separate SSD. I have to buy some adapter to connect this SSD to my-now-laptop in order to access those files. Also, my grandma died recently - she was very dear to me, and even though at first it didn't seem to affect me too much, I've been dealing with some panic attacks, which I've never experienced before. Luckily I realized what actually happens, as I thought I suddenly developed some heart issues, and now I'm better and I usually manage to get out of these situations quickly. All this being said, working on this stuff is the last thing on my mind now.

I know that a lot of time passed since I said I will help you guys, but I will try to do it soon. Sorry.
I am sorry to hear that. I know....our dear friends, lovers, and similar beloved people bring to us changes in our consciousness and that affects us emotionally. You should take care of your health and try to get some help to heal the sorrow caused by our beloved ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back