Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #7,682 of 8,232
It appears the language stayed the same after installing walkman one.

Could you please instruct me on how to change the region(language)?

Thanks!
Installing WalkmanOne should change the language to English but to change region/language you edit the settings file in the WalkmanOne directory in the root of internal storage and the restart the player

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #7,683 of 8,232
Ah! The language option became available when the region was changed to MX3
Yes the gui option to change language does not exist for region J

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #7,684 of 8,232
Just installed latest walkman one firmware and it's by default on MX3, no option to choose J3 but only J. Is there any noticeable difference between J and J3?

I use Bluetooth (LDAC) to listen to music most of the time so should I stay in normal mode instead of v2? I haven't noticed any issue with Bluetooth dac in v2 not sure why people were saying it cripples Bluetooth dac 🤔

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #7,685 of 8,232
Just installed latest walkman one firmware and it's by default on MX3, no option to choose J3 but only J. Is there any noticeable difference between J and J3?

I use Bluetooth (LDAC) to listen to music most of the time so should I stay in normal mode instead of v2? I haven't noticed any issue with Bluetooth dac in v2 not sure why people were saying it cripples Bluetooth dac 🤔
I don't think the trial one with J3 is the one that is available on his web site, it was a special link in a post here about a year or so ago

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #7,686 of 8,232
I don't think the trial one with J3 is the one that is available on his web site, it was a special link in a post here about a year or so ago
Ah, so you guys using the old firmware of walkman one? Is j3 really that good that people are using old firmware instead? How different is it from J?

I'm loving mx3 was just curious of J3

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #7,687 of 8,232
Ah, so you guys using the old firmware of walkman one? Is j3 really that good that people are using old firmware instead? How different is it from J?

I'm loving mx3 was just curious of J3
J3 is in the newest released version but it is a trial version and only available for 1A/1Z and I only think it is available via a direct link posted by MrWalkman in this thread and not from the official web site.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #7,688 of 8,232
Found the link on Mr walkman's official blog. It's absolutely amazing! No wonder people are praising J3 👏

The J region sounded similar to the stock firmware that I was using before installing Walkman One.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #7,689 of 8,232
Found the link on Mr walkman's official blog. It's absolutely amazing! No wonder people are praising J3 👏

The J region sounded similar to the stock firmware that I was using before installing Walkman One.
Stock WM1A with region J has less treble compared to WM1Z sound with region J. J3 added more treble quantity, like combining MX3 with J.

Btw @justsomesonyfan I just tried the alternative dac initialization together with v2, I do not feel it is getting brighter, more like the upper mid accentuation got removed, but my hearing got limited on 11K-13K only, I am using WM1Z sound, with alternative DAC Initialization, and region J3, with Fit Ear TG 334 (w/ softears eartip). I like this setting.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #7,690 of 8,232
Hi! @Queen6 I'm still having my Walkman ZX300 bootloop problem, I wanted to propose that if you're willing to solve my Walkman's bootloop (I'm willing to pay you), since honestly I don't know anything about programming and I have no idea what to do.
I have sent @MrWalkman quite a few emails since January and he has never responded to me at all, and since honestly no one here wants to help me with my problem. I'm actually quite desperate, it's been 3 months and they told me to wait and nothing ever happens. Here is my email: 888.rodrigo.lopez@gmail.com

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #7,691 of 8,232
FWIW when my 1A got stuck in a boot loop I got out of it by running the firmware package and connecting my player - and with a bit of trial and error, got the player to pick up on the firmware update (a very small window of time pops up where the player responds to USB input) and - time it right, it’ll update.

Make sure it is the same firmware update that you used when you corrupted your player.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #7,692 of 8,232
FWIW when my 1A got stuck in a boot loop I got out of it by running the firmware package and connecting my player - and with a bit of trial and error, got the player to pick up on the firmware update (a very small window of time pops up where the player responds to USB input) and - time it right, it’ll update.

Make sure it is the same firmware update that you used when you corrupted your player.
Thank you very much, I will try

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #7,693 of 8,232
I wonder, if dmp 1zm2 comes out and has sony OS with DSEE ultimate, would there be a way to import that version of DSEE ultimate to the walkman? @MrWalkman

I think the curiousity of DSEE ultimate/DSD remastering is the only thing I truly am curious about from the second gen, but at the same time second gen doesn't have dac initialization (and from what I read dac initialization seems to be very similar to what people describe dsd remastering to be!)

btw @justsomesonyfan I just tried the alternative dac initialization together with v2, I do not feel it is getting brighter, more like the upper mid accentuation got removed, but my hearing got limited on 11K-13K only, I am using WM1Z sound, with alternative DAC Initialization, and region J3, with Fit Ear TG 334 (w/ softears eartip). I like this setting.

I think the best region when using dac initialization is MX3, by far.

When you try these settings make sure your gain settings are on normal and not high, and use DSEE AI, the affects are very pronounced on dac initialization :)

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #7,694 of 8,232
Hi @MrWalkman , How can I remove external tuning for Dawn V2? The "Past_StockRevert_packages_WM1_20_09.zip" doesn't have exe for removing tuning files. My wm1a was factory reset by my son and language changed to Japanese. Tool from rockbox.org is not helping. After restarting the player, language changes to J. I am thinking to remove all and they try to change language. Running StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FEv2) is not removing it.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #7,695 of 8,232
Hi @MrWalkman , How can I remove external tuning for Dawn V2? The "Past_StockRevert_packages_WM1_20_09.zip" doesn't have exe for removing tuning files. My wm1a was factory reset by my son and language changed to Japanese. Tool from rockbox.org is not helping. After restarting the player, language changes to J because Product identification is DMP-Z1 which is not supported by the tool. I am thinking to remove all and they try to change language. Running StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FEv2) is not removing Dawn_v2_WM1A-WM1Z_26_08 either. Please help :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back