Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 31, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #7,113 of 8,327
Can anyone please advise me combo / settings for wm1a and u12t? Thank you for your help
Well, I have the Tia Fourte from 64audio and they play wonderful with:
Walkman One, WM1Z, J3, Alt. DAC, Normal boot mode and with DC Phase Lineartizer on Type A Low.
This is delivered on a modified 1Z dressed as a 1A from HP Audio and the mod (EXPMv3), comes with the highest recommendations!
And the last couple of weeks (maybe more) the mod have settled and my favourite cable, DHC Symbiote Elite 19 have to leave the place to my DHC Clone Fusion. Silver alone is just too much resolution (never thought I would say that).
And as always, a heartfelt thank you to Mr.Walkman. :)

PS. I need to ad: For inspirationel purposes only of cause!

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #7,115 of 8,327
Thank you, I will definitely try it, I am trying to find the ideal sound output,but I have no experience with DAP (and especially DAP from SONY ), for any advice I am glad.
Glad to inspire. I'm back on using silver cable. And let me try to explain my findings:
Walkman One, because it's an improvement over Sony fw. Not a change an improvement
WM1Z signature because of the better mids (to me). I punctured my eardrums as a kid an have a serious drop od 16 dB at 4000 kHz. Bright gives more bass, less midrange and a fine high end.
J3 is just so balanced and dry. Compared to J with all the DSP and stuff. Really nice.
Alternative DAC because it removes a filter (Mr.Walkman wrote that somewhere in this tread), witch to me sounds like a more defined bass or kind of faster bass. It also sounds like it removes a blanket at top midrange/low treble. It's not adding volume, but less veil.
Normal boot mode, because I just haven't gotten to v1 or v2 yet. Feels like (to me) it takes some low end magic away. But I might "get it" someday. Haven't given up yet!
DC Phase Lineartizer, just to rough it up a bit in the low end! Maybe I'll go direct mode again, but for now.....
And regarding the mod from HPAudio, I had forgotten that it needs hours to sound right and be stable, so the last couple of month, well every time I tried a setting, the sound kind of changed/shifted in a diffuse way. But the last couple of weeks, WOW, it sounded like my hearing started to improve (?). I used to have golden ears, but at 60+, not so golden. But I know what to listen for!
So just for inspiration, voila!

PS. I too enjoy when other in this tread suggests a setting or some secret trick/finding! :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #7,116 of 8,327
Thanks, that's an awesome description and no matter what everyone comes up with, it's ultimately tempting to give it a try. Now I'm waiting until I have my DAP with me on Friday or Monday and looking forward to getting started. In the meantime, I'm gathering ideas and information and learning. What do you think about the HW modification, should I get it done? As for cables, I'm thinking about upgrading and since I like Moon Audio - I bought my first headphones from them when they were still a one man show maybe in a garage somewhere :) - I'm considering their silver cable, but I'm in a similar boat with cables for the iem as I am with the DAP, I'm swimming in it. PS I'm 48 and my ears aren't what they used to be either, I know about the loss of some frequencies too :)

May 31, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #7,117 of 8,327
Thanks, that's an awesome description and no matter what everyone comes up with, it's ultimately tempting to give it a try. Now I'm waiting until I have my DAP with me on Friday or Monday and looking forward to getting started. In the meantime, I'm gathering ideas and information and learning. What do you think about the HW modification, should I get it done? As for cables, I'm thinking about upgrading and since I like Moon Audio - I bought my first headphones from them when they were still a one man show maybe in a garage somewhere :) - I'm considering their silver cable, but I'm in a similar boat with cables for the iem as I am with the DAP, I'm swimming in it. PS I'm 48 and my ears aren't what they used to be either, I know about the loss of some frequencies too :)
Cables, well, that is quite a personal choice, so if possible, try out your choices. Best advice is to start off with the Sony fw and get the device burnt in. And then try out the Mr.Walkman fw. You should then be better to spot the improvements. It’s alway a good idea to gather information about your project, so I recommend on doing so. I too like Moon-Audio and have the Silver & black dragon cables. They’re fine, but I just found the best from Double Helix Cables. Some can’t hear the difference in cables, but I do. So cable choice matters to me. Keep being curious is part of the fun here! :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #7,118 of 8,327
I totally agree, without curiosity and trial it is useless. it's like with new music, sometimes a person find something new that takes his breath away, sometimes he comes back. I'll look at those cables. I'm happy with u12t, I just don’t have much compared, everything is therefore an attempt mistake, and therefore I welcome new ideas and advice.

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #7,119 of 8,327
I'm sorry it's taking this long, but I'll promise it will come, hopefully soon.
Take your time! Bet it gonne be awesome when it comes out!

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #7,120 of 8,327
I just picked up an A55 and before I flash the firmware, I have a quick question…
Does the modded firmware still have Senseme channels? That's one of the things I really like about the Sonys. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sony dropped support for it in a recentish firmware update. Mine still has that feature, and I would like to keep it

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #7,121 of 8,327
I just picked up an A55 and before I flash the firmware, I have a quick question…
Does the modded firmware still have Senseme channels? That's one of the things I really like about the Sonys. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sony dropped support for it in a recentish firmware update. Mine still has that feature, and I would like to keep it
Yes, even with modded FW it does still have those channels.
You only lose access to VPT Surround and the Radio as well as the Headphones option which was already limited to very few headphones.

But you gain a ton of other settings to fiddle with in the process to fine tune the sound to your liking. Walkman ONE is simply versatile.

Attachments

• screenshot_20220601_171524479.png
    screenshot_20220601_171524479.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #7,122 of 8,327
So is it just me or is the Music Center program a total PoS? I've been trying to analyse and transfer music for the past 2 days and the prog just keeps crashing/freezing.
Any chance it'd be a conflict with the modded FW?

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #7,123 of 8,327
So is it just me or is the Music Center program a total PoS? I've been trying to analyse and transfer music for the past 2 days and the prog just keeps crashing/freezing.
I've had no issues in my experience so I have no clue what it could be.
Everything analysed fine for me and i hadn't noticed any crashing.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #7,124 of 8,327
I stopped using that a couple weeks from buying the walkman. It uploads so slow and i just dont have the time to analyze 5000+ songs. Just transfer it directly from files to the music folder on sd card or walkman itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back