Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 10, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #7,051 of 8,329
Yesterday I tried some more demanding iems - UM Mason V3+. A55 isn't able to drive them properly itself. But when I connected it to modded NX1s... well the same quality as WM1A delivers or because ext amp sometimes even better?
This is just my subjective opinion of course.
i too have noticed a similarity of both when i combine a55 with modded nx1s. but i still feel that wm1a is superior, it's just those small little details that makes it stand out. a55 is still an outstanding value choice.

May 10, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #7,052 of 8,329
i too have noticed a similarity of both when i combine a55 with modded nx1s. but i still feel that wm1a is superior, it's just those small little details that makes it stand out. a55 is still an outstanding value choice.
Yes my modded 1Z is clearly better but as I’ve said several times, had I had an A55 with WalkmanOne fw 6 years ago I would probably never have bought the 1Z as the A55 would have been plenty good enough for my travel needs. That said I still like the 1Z more and use it the most. I’ve bought a used ZX300 that is being hw modded by Nayparm. Will be interesting to see where it will sit compared to the other 2

May 10, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #7,053 of 8,329
Yes my modded 1Z is clearly better but as I’ve said several times, had I had an A55 with WalkmanOne fw 6 years ago I would probably never have bought the 1Z as the A55 would have been plenty good enough for my travel needs. That said I still like the 1Z more and use it the most. I’ve bought a used ZX300 that is being hw modded by Nayparm. Will be interesting to see where it will sit compared to the other 2
How much did you pay to mod your 1Z?

May 10, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #7,054 of 8,329
May 10, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #7,056 of 8,329
May 12, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #7,057 of 8,329
Do some have any idea if the time counter is usually active when the WM1A + MrWalman One firmawre is set as a LDAC BT receiver ?....
As for a while now, I am mainly using it connected to my smartphone via BT, so I just wanted to know if I have passed a decent burning time period since Nayparm mods... but I just noticed that the counter seems to be blocked at 00081.54, though I probably used these last years more than 3000 or 4000 hours my WM1A... and probably more than 200 hours since the mods (more or 8 hours a day * 30 days).

Even if it's not really annoying, do you have any Idea ?

May 12, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #7,058 of 8,329
Do some have any idea if the time counter is usually active when the WM1A + MrWalman One firmawre is set as a LDAC BT receiver ?....
As for a while now, I am mainly using it connected to my smartphone via BT, so I just wanted to know if I have passed a decent burning time period since Nayparm mods... but I just noticed that the counter seems to be blocked at 00081.54, though I probably used these last years more than 3000 or 4000 hours my WM1A... and probably more than 200 hours since the mods (more or 8 hours a day * 30 days).

No, but first thing I'd do is revert to stock Sony FW see if the counter resumes then reload the custom firmware. I've not observed such an issue with @MrWalkman FW it could be a bug in Sony's core code. I've not seen the same and in all fairness not looked, equally if the DAP is powered on the timer should count hours used.

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #7,059 of 8,329

The hours played counter counts hours played via one of the 2 headphone out (so not via BT headphones). I don’t know if it is only when playing local files it increments or also when the dap is used as usb or BT dac as I hardly ever use mine in either dac mode

May 12, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #7,060 of 8,329
The hours played counter counts hours played via one of the 2 headphone out (so not via BT headphones). I don’t know if it is only when playing local files it increments or also when the dap is used as usb or BT dac as I hardly ever use mine in either dac mode

As I mainly use the WM1A with the new 2.5mm "Nayparm" output and a Vision Ears EXT, I will try with the 4.4mm output if the time counter works with it.

May 12, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #7,061 of 8,329
I just tried the 4.4mm output, and it doesn't impact the counter too...

But I tried some music which is in the internal memory of the WM1A..... and counter is getting increased now.
So, it seems the time counting is not incremented with LDAC BT mode, only with music files.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #7,062 of 8,329
Just received my WM1ZM2 from Sony Australia a couple hours ago, and have only clocked in 20 minutes of listening time. But wanted to share some raw thoughts comparing it with an original WM1Z on the latest Mr Walkman Firmware.

• WM1ZM2
    • Direct Sound (all adjustments OFF)
  • WM1ZM1 (fully burned in, since 2018)
    • Mr Walkman - Walkman One FW (plus v2, bright, JP)
    • Direct Sound
  • IER-Z1R - Balanced
  • Both Walkmans set to low gain @ 120
  • Listening was done over USB-DAC mode

What immediately stands out with the M2 over the M1 to my ears is:
  • A darker sound signature, richer lower end with a slower decay (reminds me of the original M1 FW)
  • Cleaner noise floor (could also be due to the darker sound signature)
    • Evokes the feeling of being in a monitoring studio, very clean.
  • Soundstage feels narrower but deeper, also not as high
  • Although less bright, detail retrival sounds more delicate and refined.
  • Mr Walkman FW M1 is louder (about 10-15 points)
All that in mind. I would say a modded M1 with CFW definitely holds up against an unburned in M2 unit. Texturally and Timbre-wise Mr Walkman sounds more realistic. Overall Mr Walkman has done an incredible job of tuning the M1s. I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Currently the M2 has a bit of 'honkiness' to female vocals that I hope clears up once burned in.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #7,063 of 8,329
Just received my WM1ZM2 from Sony Australia a couple hours ago, and have only clocked in 20 minutes of listening time. But wanted to share some raw thoughts comparing it with an original WM1Z on the latest Mr Walkman Firmware.

• WM1ZM2
    • Direct Sound (all adjustments OFF)
  • WM1ZM1 (fully burned in, since 2018)
    • Mr Walkman - Walkman One FW (plus v2, bright, JP)
    • Direct Sound
  • IER-Z1R - Balanced
  • Both Walkmans set to low gain @ 120
  • Listening was done over USB-DAC mode

What immediately stands out with the M2 over the M1 to my ears is:
  • A darker sound signature, richer lower end with a slower decay (reminds me of the original M1 FW)
  • Cleaner noise floor (could also be due to the darker sound signature)
    • Evokes the feeling of being in a monitoring studio, very clean.
  • Soundstage feels narrower but deeper, also not as high
  • Although less bright, detail retrival sounds more delicate and refined.
  • Mr Walkman FW M1 is louder (about 10-15 points)
All that in mind. I would say a modded M1 with CFW definitely holds up against an unburned in M2 unit. Texturally and Timbre-wise Mr Walkman sounds more realistic. Overall Mr Walkman has done an incredible job of tuning the M1s. I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Currently the M2 has a bit of 'honkiness' to female vocals that I hope clears up once burned in.
Yet another reason why I don't feel any desire to leave my Nayparm and MrWalkman modded 1Z. 120 with the IER would destroy my ears, I'm normally at 70 on low gain except for some dsd's

May 13, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #7,064 of 8,329
Yet another reason why I don't feel any desire to leave my Nayparm and MrWalkman modded 1Z. 120 with the IER would destroy my ears, I'm normally at 70 on low gain except for some dsd's
I’m at about 45 and it sounds great. Quiet volumes are fine for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back